Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C Evaporator Leak

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: A/C Evaporator Leak

How did you find the performance of the Hychill before the leak?

Considering it for my R12 system.

Some people on automotive forums would be shocked to learn that your system leaked Hychill and your car did NOT explode!
    "Welcome the dude who ain't the buyer of mugs"

working hard Backyard Mechanic

If you running r12 there are other subsitutes like mp39 newer then r12 , or possible retrofit to 134a which is very easy..Best bet is nitrogen pressure test system again , leave it over night at 250psi and see if theres a small leak. As for a leak in the evaporator at 40psi r12 would mean its dumping its charge in 2-3 days

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Hi,

When the hychill was in it cooled great, was freezing cold, but I began to smell a slight smell, which is the smell of the gas by the looks of it.

Well took about 2 weeks to leak out, it's not all leaked out the aircon still works but not as cold, the smell of gas has gone away though.

For Leak tests, I'm wondering do they test it and let it sit without the aircon running or with the aircon running. If they do it without the aircon running will the gas still flow to the evaporator?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Z2TT; 08-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.

I've also asked on few a/c forums about sealants you put in the system, and most people say that it will clog the system. So how should I go about patching up leaks on the evaporator?

Hi,

How could I go about patching up a leak in the evaporator? Does it have to be welded up or is there something I can apply onto the leak point to seal it up?

Just wondering what are the options I have.

Double Post.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Best option would be to have it brazed. If you were in Brisbane I could do this for you.

Any radiator, etc, shop should be able to help you out... although bear in mind that if it has cracked once it will probably do it again - either in the same place, or somewhere else. Best option is to just replace the part entirely, or ditch the aircon and be done with it. In my experience a/c is always a prick and if nothing else it blocks airflow to your radiator and/or intercooler!

An alternative to brazing might be some type of a two-piece sealant... metal mend, q-bond, something like that... but honestly I wouldn't if I was you.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

I took the evaporator out today, the crack seems to be deep within the core in between the fins, so I'm not sure how it can be reached to be repaired. I'm just wondering why they all crack and leak so easily.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

i wouldnt even dream of trying to repair it,smash a new one and be done with it.Itll only cause further pain and cost more in the long run if you dont.

Yeah good idea, I'm going to replace it instead of try to repair it, might just try to find one from a Celsior/LS400 that doesnt leak for now.