Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supercharged lameness... AKA 4AZGE into TA22

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharged lameness... AKA 4AZGE into TA22

I enjoy the entire thread, good work Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TTV8RA23 View Post
    Nice build and nice fab skills. Not to sure why you have to be such a wanker about it though. Other than the clearly insecure "celica suck balls" shit i thinks its awesome, a very informative helpful thread!
    Cheers
    Simon
    thats how rex rolls
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

broom broom Automotive Encyclopaedia poida's Avatar

Dont take any offense TTV8RA23. This is just Rex's humour and you may not have come across him in the forums yet. I'm only mildly offended and this is my car, pride and joy since I was 17 years of age.

Celica's are rad

I Hate Being A Carport Converter Clown's Avatar

Awesome thread. Loving the humor!
    GZE AW11, M40b18 e30, 1J cressida

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Wow this thread brings all the old schoolers out of the woodwork. Rex, poida, Clown....
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

You might have a point TTV8RA23, maybe His rampant Celica bashing sounds 'clearly insecure' because Rex is worried Celica's might just be too rad for Him to handle. Then again Maybe not...Probably not...

Let Rex firstly update you with a little medical problem He's come up against.

Way, way back in the middle-ages there was a terribe sickness that befell the land. Commonly known as 'The Black Plague' it killed millions of people, delivering them slowly and painfully into the cold grasp of the grave, well except those who's bodies were burned.

Now, you see, Its been many hundreds of years since 'the black plague' but It seems that it may be back! Working on this shitbox has made Him positively ill. It coincides to some extent with recent exposure to the owner, He seems unaffected. So the conclusions must rest as this; Perhaps Celica's are filthy ancient disease-bags, and their owners could be carriers for the dreaded Plague. He's no doctor but it as House, from the telly might say, It fits best and makes perfect sense...

Back to the main story:

Celica's kill native wildlife. The original accelerator linkages that some morons absolutely love had to go. A u-pull-it AE92 4AFE throttle cable was custom fitted with a cut and shut pedal measured to give the correct ratio. The pedal is the original but with the straightened top section from the AE92 welded on. A bracket had to be custom made at the engine end also.

Celica's mug old ladies. After a considerable time spend 'understanding' the the loom by studying the wiring diagrams and DMM probing the appropriate wires were identified and dealt with accordingly. The loom was re-wrapped with certain plugs/connections moved to different locations. A large gauge power feed was integrated into the loom to power the Injection and ignition systems. These are fused as is the fuel pump feed, ofcourse. A set of 3 left over x30 soarer fusible links head up the major alternator, body feed and ECU/Loom feeds right up at the battery. The Alternator wiring just required a little probing to find the charge light wire and the rest rest was put together standalone. The whole lot was powered up system by system, checking everything as He went.

The MR2 doesnt use a switch in the thermostat housing ala Corolla variants, so one was lifted from an AE92 4AFE. The MR2 bleed tap port was bored and re-threaded to take the new sensor. This sensor switches the thermofan.

The inlet had to be revised, because as it sat there simply wasn't room for a filter. The simplest solution was to cut and shut the uppermost inlet elbow pointing it in a better direction. The overflow tand had to be relocated, as can be seen.

Celica's rig elections and fund crime. At first, upon start-up it had two major problems. It ran on one cylinder and injector three leaked like Niagra falls. The injector problem was an easy one, just a pinched o-ring in the rail. The rough running took a many hours of head scratching, testing and swapping components when a moment of clarity hit and was traced to a fuel pump that powered up on crank but switched off once the motor started. It was found when He was pinching the fuel lines to check feed and return (last gasp effort to diagnose the problem) only to find the pressure dropped off once started. Back to the extremely handy and golden wiring diagram. Toyota uses a 'circuit opening relay' to control the fuel pump and while one winding is powered by the starter/crank signal, the other winding required to keep the relay closed is fed through the AFM. The loom was removed and un-wrapped, heat breaking because so much time had already gone into it. The crucial wire to/from the AFM switch for sensing a running motor was broken. Re-connected and BAM!!! starts, runs and revs without a drama...

Without a lot of time and a decent budget 4AGZE will naturally look messy, they just are. A few hours of neatening/finessing things up and its finished. He's waiting for the tail-shaft to come back but it has no real bearing at this point.

This little write-up makes the conversion seem simple. The reality is that in between all these little bits were many-many hours of work. While having the skills/equipment makes it somewhat easier it is still a long and arduous process to judge, address and solve each problem that arises. As mentioned in the beginning this job was simply to get the motor in and running. Everything done was done the most basic and cheapest way while retaining a basic reasonable standard and only because it was deemed necessary.
    Rex Kelway Sucks - Fabrication thread

Rex Kelway - ABN: 41 267 379 001
    Fabrication, Manifolds and CAMS spec Roll-cages in SA...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

A big bravo on the quality of writeup. The humour makes it a great read, I found myself waiting to see what blight on Celicas inflict on mankind with each new paragraph. The writing involving the build aspects was very clearly illustrated, and the photos were well done too.

Good work mate, look forward to reading future/previous build threads from you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    Celica's suck balls. The TRD copy headers supplied don't fit because the idler arm is in the way and without wanting to spend the time to find and try a stock manifold Rex knocked up these simple 4-1 headers. They are blended into whatever horrific shitbox exhaust was originally on the horrific shitbox car.
    Still got those trd copy headers by chance? Wanna sell them?

broom broom Automotive Encyclopaedia poida's Avatar

Well the car has made it home Still heaps to do to make it usable on my end.

Rex did a super fantastic job on the conversion and everything has been well thought out and none of the workmanship was dodge shop. I'd recommended him to anyone who wants a quality bit of fabrication in SA or he posts Aus wide for suspension, manifolds and other gear.

I mounted the seat and took it for a 2 min spin. Nice to drive it under its own little engine, first time since 2006... No issues as it was checked over thoroughly.

One thing to mention is that the cost of one of these conversions isn't cheap, and most things needed to be modified to make this work. I'll get the full run down from Rex soon, but from what I can see, there is a LOT of custom fabrication in each of the core systems. This includes:

Fit engine and make engine mounts
    Cut and shut inlet and new filter
    Inter-cooler piping and rubber piping
    Exhaust manifold - custom
    Remote thermostat and piping
    Accelerator pedal and engine bay linkages
    Custom tail shaft
    Fuel system, mountings, lines, surge tank and pumps
    Electrics, wiring loom, fused links, brackets
    Radiator brackets
    Plugs and fluids
    Add a clutch and cylinders
    Engine around $1000
    Fault finding as the loom had one broken wire and the alternator charge light was wired up bad.
    Clutch lines as they were on the opposite side
    Misc brackets
    Other stuff I've missed

This all adds up and the car still has lame paint, original brakes, pretty standard suspension, welded diff, no heater, lame steering box. So you'd probably get better overall value from a cheap SR20det Silvia track hack turd.
    Last edited by poida; 18-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member

LMFAO - that was great, I've actually got an AE92 levin out back for exactly such a swap so this is great info, look forward to seeing more on the car

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hey i'm new to this site, the actual reason i signed up was to ask about this exact conversion, as i am looking for a new project car unfortunately this thread doesnt cover the converting of the engine to rwd.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by me217 View Post
    hey i'm new to this site, the actual reason i signed up was to ask about this exact conversion, as i am looking for a new project car unfortunately this thread doesnt cover the converting of the engine to rwd.

There should be numerous threads on what is required on this forum, I know there is definitely one sticked on the NZ Toyspeed forum somewhere...basically what you will be looking at, at the bare minimum are RWD engine mounts (AE86) modified to fit which ever car you are using as a base.

Modified radiator pipework or I think you can use a /rwd 4age water pump thermostat housing coolant pipes etc although I'm not sure if this applies to the gZe variety.

You will require as mentioned above a cut and shut intake manifold for non supercharged 4AGE not too sure on intake mods required for the gZe varieties, and also the minimum for a AE86 RWD exhaust manifold but you would be better off with custom headers.

I think I have covered the main bits someone else may have more to add.

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

assuming he hasnt found out since June!

Forum Member

Well if he hasn't he now has the answer, the date slipped my mind, my bad

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

hahah it's all good we have all done it