Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox rebuilding, parts???

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Default Gearbox rebuilding, parts???

Ok, so my E58 LSD box is starting to bug me for a rebuild.

I'm thinking of getting an E52 box (almost identical ratios) for the stronger gears and sticking either the LSD into the E52 and putting that into my car, or putting the E52 gearsets into the E58 box.

Two questions I have.

What parts will I need? I assume synchros, bearings and gaskets/seals? There is a gasket/seal kit listed for the gearbox in the Toyota parts catalogue, but no kit for the rest. Should I just order all synchros and bearings for the whole box?

Also, will the stronger E52 gearsets fit straight into the E58 box with no modification? That way I know the box will bolt back into the car with no dramas. I'll probably swap the alloy 5th gear cover over too.

Any help would be great.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Default Re: Gearbox rebuilding, parts???

No personal experience, but I'd say swap the LSD into the new box. Much easier than trying to change up a whole gear set. Depending on age and quality of the E52, you may not need to do syncros/bearings, although new gaskets may be a good idea. By doing this you avoid any compatability issues with trying to make gears fit into a different box too.

Eagerly await someone with some practical knowledge to back me up/shoot me down in a ball of flames.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I did the E51 box in my MR2, and there are no gaskets as such, just sealant (get good stuff, and make sure you know how to use it...you don't want to be pulling the box apart again

I didn't do bearings, i'd be surprised if they were worn out in yours unless it's been starved of oil. Synchros I did do, and it made a world of difference, they were about $350 for the full set. If you want to change the ratios, i guess swap the other gearset in, otherwise I wouldn't bother, just rebuild the one you have, and if the LSD is a bit sad, rebuild that too. The seals I got from CBC (or NTN bearings, same company) they list the seals as they provided them new. It's a fairly big task to do, but if you have the BGB handy and a GOOD press (with an assortment of plates) for pressing the gearsets apart it shouldn't take more than a day at most.

-RM.

Thanks for the info.

The size of the job isn't an issue. I rebuilt my GZE head in a weekend for a laugh and have built up a 4EFE in my driveway.

I'm looking at the E52 gearset as the gears are apparently 30% thicker than the E58. The LSD will be rebuilt, as well as all the synchros as it is getting notchy into all the gears.
    I managed to save it for a while with some Royal Purple oil, but even that can't save me now.

How did you get the new synchros? Did you go to Toyota armed with part numbers? I just don't want to miss anything, that's all.

Oh, how hard would it be to get my hands on a 5th gear from an E51? I want a slightly taller 5th.

Gear ratio charts:

This is what I want to do, but with the pretty much identical, but apparently thicker E52 gearset.

Junior Member Grease Monkey RPM016T's Avatar

Not sure if you've got access to workshop machinery, but I'd think you'll more than likely need to get access to a hydraulic press and a decent size bearing puller. I started to do the box in my Bravo but gave up for this reason. Some of those bearings can be a complete prick. Hot tip - take some photos before ripping shit apart too. Some of that stuff is REAL easy to forget what goes where!
    gt28714AGEKE15OM17SGoodi.

How much power is the car making? They're a very, very tough box...

As far as the size of the job, if you've got reasonable skills (and if you've done a motor or a head you're halfway there ) it shouldn't be a problem, just be methodical. The press is going to be the big thing, along with an assortment of plates (make sure you get it right and don't load the edges of the teeth, or you'll crack them)

In 5th gear I had the legs to do 240km/h at 7500rpm with an E51 and 195/50/15s...if that helps you

-RM.

Yea, I can access a press no worries. Got one at work. I've also got the Toyota manuals for the E58 and the E51/2 gearboxes (although in Japanese....).

So, anyone got any E51 and or E52 boxes they don't want?

The BGB has a really good E51 guide (in english) which helped me out a lot...

Camry box might not be hard to find, MR2 one could be...

-RM.

I just found the guide in english for the E51 and E52 gearboxes in the 1988 and 1989 MR2 manuals on my HDD.

Sweet.

The car is making in excess of 150Hp at the wheels at the moment, with SC14 supercharger, 12-13psi, FMIC, and worked head still to come.

You'll never break it man...I did some awful, awful things to my gearbox (the car had 190xxxkm when I sold it) and apart from the synchros needing to be replaced (which they did when I got it, at 100xxxkm) it was never anything other than beautifully quiet and smooth. It's the same box people are using in 400+HP SW20s for 11 second passes...

I wouldn't stress about upgrading gearsets unless you really want the different ratios, I certainly wouldn't worry about extra strength...

-RM.

The 5th gear swap is the one that I want the different ratio, my car can handle a lower cruise RPM, and I want the higher top speed...

How do people normally obtain a set of synchros? Do you need to goto Toyota with all the part numbers?

Yup, the taller ratio would be good, I think i was at about 3500rpm at 120...plenty of top speed, but lower RPM is always nice

-RM.

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative
    Gear ratio charts:
    great way of showing gear ratio's.

Is that an emailable file or a link?

[email protected]

Matt
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -