Thread: 2tg valves

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 2tg valves

I've got a set of stainless steel valves of unknown make which has the same stem diameter as the stock 2tg valves but with a bigger valve face diameter. Would like to know if it's ok for me to machine down the the face without problems? Would i lose it's hardness properties and suffer premature failure?

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Default Re: 2tg valves

Machining down valve size is usually only ever an issue with titanium valves because of a protective coating that have on the valve head. I have machined down a few sets of stainless valves with no ill effects. If it is a ordinary conventional stainless valve you will have no problems.

But, why dont you get the valve seats cut to suit the larger valves? Is the stem length the same as a 2tg?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 2tg valves

But, why dont you get the valve seats cut to suit the larger valves? Is the stem length the same as a 2tg?
    thats what I've in mind but I still need to machine them down a little coz the valve face is thicker than the stock ones.
    stem length is longer but I think I can get the machinist to shorten them and cut the same groove for the valve locks. Also I see that the stock 2tg intake valves are non stainless steel, would it be ok to change those to these machined downed stainless valves as well?