Thread: 98 corolla dash trim removal

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

Default 98 corolla dash trim removal

i know this sounds like a gumby question, but i put a CD player in the mrs car yesterday, and i noticed the cig lighter was loose, so i tried to remove the lower section of the dash trim - the surround for the storage bin, cup holder, ashtray cig lighter etc, i got the two screws at the top, and pulled all the friction clips i could find, but it feels like something is holding it in the top of the ashtray hole, and i pulled hard enough i was worried about breaking it.. i can't see and screws.. doesn't mean there isn't any i guess.. any tips?

BTW the reason i now want to really fix it, is because the cig lighter shorted out last night and blew the fuse for the stereo and dash lights..

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

Default Re: 98 corolla dash trim removal

Buy a "Haynes" manual for your car's model range. They tell you all sorts of stuff like this. I bought one for my Magna and it paid for itself on the first job (rear shock replacement.)

I put "Haynes" in inverted commas because they are not the only one and plenty of ppl around here will tell you which other ones are better.
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

Default Re: 98 corolla dash trim removal

I sne in that general direction (at least for removing trim kinda stuff) there's a little white nylon/plastic clip at the very back of the ashtray, that you will discover after you have brute forced it out..