Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4age 16v into ra60 celica

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4age 16v into ra60 celica

hey i was just lookin for some answers/advise about a 21r-c to 4age conversion in my ra60 celica

just first thing is there any modifacation needed to engine mounts ?
    can i use a FWD 4age n just get RWD engine mounts ?
    would it be worth using the T-series gearbox or just get a T to W bellhousing?
    if FWD 4age is easily useable will wireing loom needed to be modified or changed to rwd loom?
    would it be worth using a 20v 4age and get RWD engine mounts for that?

i no these questions may seem pretty stupid but just wanna make sure every thing will be all good for the conversion and any help will be appreciated
    thanks nev.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 4age 16v into ra60 celica

Will need to make up engine mounts.
    FWD and RWD engine is same block, so RWD mounts will be fine (but wont bolt to RA60).
    T-Series is fine, bellhousing for a 4A - W is hard to get so i wouldnt bother.
    Different wiring loom is small port, big port and 20v, FWD/RWD doesnt matter.
    20v are expensive and harder to setup.

I think you should know that RWD 4ages are expensive and converting a FWD motor is a far bit of work, ignition, water pump, intake manifold, exhaust, accessories, and more all needs to be changed to RWD vr.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

aww kk wasnt sure about the engine mounts as the AA60 celica in japan came out with 4age engines so stick to a rwd 4age with gearbox and should be ok for a easier conversion

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

just a devils advocate POV................

The R engines are substantially "torqueier" then almost any n/a 4AG will be. You may want to consider using a 4AGZE... if you have the need to go with a 4AG...
    OR.....

you might look into one of the "newer" truck engines(substantial torque)... the 2RZ, or 3RZ

POV over... you may go about your day
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I think that given the weight of the Celica and especially the available space in the engine bay, a 4A may not be the smartest engine swap. It won't set your world alight.

Dare I say 22RE, possibly turboed, may be an option. Or 1G or 1JZ or an RZ.

Though if you are deadset on a 4AGE, google rwd 4age conversions and you'll drown in info. Most should apply to you.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

You will be very, very disappinted with this result.

Lots of stuffing around involved and the car will go prettymuch like it did before except that you'll have to rev it more.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Unfortunately Nev is on his red p's so no performance mode like turbo or supercharged are allowed.

But from what i have heard from people that if you put another engine in the car (as long as it was available in the car from another country it is still legal)
    As it came with that engine standard?

Maybe we should worry more about handling and save up for a decent engine to work on so once he is able to have turbo or supercharged he will have a car that already handles good and just needs to put a good engine in it?
    But i could be wrong still.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

yes, that is exactly what you should do. fix the car up and save up for a 1G
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

the reason for me wanting to use a 4age because there such a popular engine theres pretty much endless amounts of tuning parts for them from wat ive seen, its more just i want to keep the car light weight aswell, im not to keen on a 6 cyl because of the uneven weight probly wont be too good for the corners but if its an easier conversion might consider it, thanks for all the advise everyone, if anyone else has some advise feel free to say wat you think any advise is appreciated thanks

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

RA60 is about 1200kg, right? Toyota were putting 4AFEs into AE11x Corollas at around that weight. On top of that, Toyota put the 4AGE into lots of their top spec runabouts like the AA60 Carinas, the AT14x Corona, etc. With some intelligent decisions in regards to gearing, I'd say that it wouldn't be that bad. It wouldn't be a powerhouse, but it would probably handle fairly well. I'd like to do a Corona with one if I could find an AA60/AT141 crossmember.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

If you are very attached to your car, spend your money on suspension instead.

That way when your restrictions are lifted, you have a good base into which you can put a good engine.

Or, even better, start collecting bits for a 1GGTE conversion now. You have NO idea how much it will really cost, the sooner you start the sooner it will be done.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Biggus:
    yer not 100% sure on the weight but according to the rego its 1050kg, so the crossmember in a ra60 an aa60 are different?

Shifty:
    yer well at the moment im just running kings springs with stock dampers but i wanna get a set of monroe GT gas dampers quoted roughly around $390 for all corners, and when funds allow possably at set of VOLK TE37's or WORK equip 03's

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus
    RA60 is about 1200kg, right? Toyota were putting 4AFEs into AE11x Corollas at around that weight. On top of that, Toyota put the 4AGE into lots of their top spec runabouts like the AA60 Carinas, the AT14x Corona, etc. With some intelligent decisions in regards to gearing, I'd say that it wouldn't be that bad. It wouldn't be a powerhouse, but it would probably handle fairly well. I'd like to do a Corona with one if I could find an AA60/AT141 crossmember.

The Ra60 according to the rego sticker on my car is 1090

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nev194
    so the crossmember in a ra60 an aa60 are different?
    Yes crossmembers are different between the different engine families in the A6* chassis, not worth importing the right one though when a bit of work with the welder will solve that problem. As the gearbox spacing seems to be the same on all the ones I've looked at, swing in the motor and box and bolt up the gearbox crossmember. From there your engine placement should be correct so just make mounts to suit.
    Personally, a 4A swap just simply won't be worth it. As you already have an RA60 I would go for the 18RG as it was also a factory option in the RA63 and gives you the torque advantage you will need over the 4A. Will probably work out cheaper too.

Callum

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus
    Coronas/Celicas etc which had the A-series engine (be it 4AFE, 4AGE or 7AFE) were generally base-model ones, not top-spec, and were the slugs of the bunch

And the 4AGEs that were going into AE101 and AE111s were the 120kw-ish 20v versions not 86 or 100kw 16v versions, again more difference (and they were about 1000-1100kg, not 1200kg)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed