Thread: broken glass jamming the door handle DOOR WONT OPEN!

Junior Member Grease Monkey spanielmr2's Avatar

Default broken glass jamming the door handle DOOR WONT OPEN!

I have a problem the passenger window has been smashed i have a replacment but the problem is that i cannot open the door becuase the broken glass is jamming the handle, there for i am unable to remove the door card becuase the door is shut does anyone know how i can get around this?
    thanks DanieL

Default Re: broken glass jamming the door handle DOOR WONT OPEN!

can you see the glass thats jamming the handle?
    possible to put something in the gap and dislodge the glass?
    hit the door(in or out dependent on where the glass is stuck) to try dislodge it?
    milk and juice come in 2L, The cheapest wines come in 5L, the finest vodka comes in 1L

Junior Member Grease Monkey spanielmr2's Avatar

its very tight i cant see down the door at all i cant even fit anything down there,the glass is shatterd in tiney little peices i have an sw20 with electric windows, i can put the window up and down (well get the motor to due to the fact the window is smashed) but it just makes a crunching sound when the motor hits the bottom the door wont unlock or open

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Try sliding a steel rule or something similar and clear as much glass as you can. Just let it all fall to the bottom of the door as you can clean out once you get the door card off.

Good luck with it!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Compressed air to blow the glass chips out of the lock mechanism.
    Hitting with a mallet & pad may dislodge the stuff..
    Roll down the good window and use a bright light & figure out how its pieces move when working correctly. The jammed up side works exactly the same, except that it is a mirror/reversed image.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

silly question maybee.... have you tried unlocking the door from both in and out side (IE knob and key)... try "rocking" the key (and the knob) a few times to dislodge the glass particles.
    Sometimes door latches wont unlock if the inner or outer handle is being used.... try pulling them a few times, so when you release them, they will not be half activated.. try and make em spring back to thier home position hard.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

i recall somone had a similar issue where they had broken the door handle -> latch linkage and had to cut the door skin, obviously FAR less than ideal.

i think it may have been blake (IN05NT) with his crown coupe......
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I had this problem on a TA22, and ended up having to remove the door skin with the door closed... managed not to mangle it but it was a delicate operation. Not sure on the possibility with the SW20 though. Vacuum cleaner connected to a small diameter pipe directed at the problem, or try coathanger the door unlock rod.

Cost of doorskin Vs. Cost of locksmith Vs. How much pay you earn and hour Vs. How much time you spend on it

Good luck!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Tried taking it for a drive on a bumpy road? You might be able to shake it out over the bumps. I'd try non-destructive methods like that before cutting the door skin off.

ten years gone Backyard Mechanic frostyadonis's Avatar

similar to what wa5 said- was the barrel damaged perhaps?

does the key still work in the barrel, is the key still rotatable?

maybe the perps rotated the barrel with a screwdriver causing the setup to jam

is the keyhole still in its original spot?

maybe when the spin the barrel trick didn't work, they then smashed your window

you haven't told us if it was an act of vandilism or not (this would be of help)
    owner of 1 ta22 celica green but not hybrid

this has happened to me on two seperate occasions, however my door was stuck open, not closed....you boys are correct, the door handle is not working because the glass has fallen into the mechanism, preventing the mech to sit in a nutral position, (like the handle is being held up.

your best bet is to
    A: (remove the other door card and see how the mech works)
    B: return to the faulty door, and with your knowledge, hold one of the handles up, (releasing the downward pressure on the glass that is locking it in place) and using either a long metal ruler or coat hanger, aim for the part of the mechanism that is most likely to be the culpret.
    C: if all fails, hold the handle up and bang the door, shake the door(yes maybe the car to if required). a good one may be to jack one side of the car up, and then with a hydrolic jack release it from a small height quickly (with some inside holding the handle up).

good luck.
    Jamie