Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4agze to 4agte worth it?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4agze to 4agte worth it?

hey guys,

i have recently finshed my 86 project after rebuilding my motor (map gze)and fitting it in.
    i have fitted the 175mm crank pully and have not been overly happy with it i wont more power i was told that it would be good for around 200hp but i dont think it is any where nere that, it gose good but would going turbo get me a bit more power or is it not worth it?

there is people out there that have changed to turbo (rear wheel gze) how much did it cost doing most the work yourself?

thanks matt,

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: 4agze to 4agte worth it?

after having a ride in a 140rwkw gze aw11 and roughly the same power gte aw11 i just had to do a turbo conversion on mine not that the gze's instant torqe wasnt impressive the thrust the turbo gives when it spools up is addictive

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

If your car is for the street/daily driver, then stick with the supercharger! Fit an intercooler, and maybe even a top mount, and put a scoop in the bonnet, to conserve throttle response? Or even fit the larger SC14?

If you're after more power than 200hp, then go turbo. It'll work out cheaper.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Got to go TURBO!!!!!!!! You will never regret it
    power upgrades are alot easier to do ( i.e more boost and re map )

You could almost do the hole conversion for a $1000
    Manifold 200-300
    Turbo depinding on what you choose $400 - ??!!??!! VG 30 turbos are a cheap and good option
    Pipe work $200
    Dump pipe 150-250

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

i think you'd be pushing it to get the conversion done at that price but its doable. theres always extra costs you dont think about. my conversion cost me $3K and i already had a haltech.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

If someone told you that you could get 200hp just by putting the 175mm pulley on they were pulling your leg. 200hp is the absolute maximum an sc12 will do, and that includes really good cooling and pipework etc.

You need to think about what you want from your car, do you just want a big numbers car you can boast about? or do you want a good streetable car (i.e. streetable power) if you want to stay sc, swap to an sc14 and you'll be much closer to the 200hp, if you want to go turbo they make more power at less boost ( you could probably get the 200hp at about 12psi rather than 15-17psi on the sc) but you will lose most of that great torque from the sc, but have more top end power, but are you really going to use it?

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I'm in the same boat, but to get good power from the SC is just going to cost too much. When I can bolt on a turbo and make 200rwhp with the stock managment (!), how can you go wrong?

RM.

Quote Originally Posted by mullett
    I'm in the same boat, but to get good power from the SC is just going to cost too much. When I can bolt on a turbo and make 200rwhp with the stock managment (!), how can you go wrong?

RM.
    If its just in terms of horsepower numbers then you're right. The SC engine will be more drivable, but if you want cheap numbers then you really can't go wrong with a turbo.

I didn't know you could run a turbo using a stock GZE computer? Wouldn't the mapping be completely different?

They work extremely well, not sure why. I'll still be chasing a microtech (or a POWERFC if the 4A-GE one can be pursuaded to run), but this is out of curiosity. I think with the advances of modern turbos, it'll drive brilliantly, because it's rarely below 3000RPM anyway (unless it's cold) and most turbos will be spooly by then

RM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

boost is boost. it doesnt matter that it was an sc before.
    the standard gze ecu can run up to 14psi on a turbo (the same as a 175mm pulley) but obviously running a standalone or piggy will give you better fuel economy/performance.

I think with the advances of modern turbos, it'll drive brilliantly, because it's rarely below 3000RPM anyway (unless it's cold) and most turbos will be spooly by then
    only problem there is that the more recent turbo's are very expensive, which would almost negate the lower cost of the turbo conversion.

Absolutely. Turbos ARE expensive, but you get what you pay for. A REALLY nice disco pot is about $1500, but a good SC is 3k. A really nice turbo install (before internals) would be worth about 4k in parts. That being said, you can make 200hp with junk that people throw out...

RM.

Maybe the stock GZE computer uses a linear mapping as opposed to a 3d modern mapping. Linear = 2 variables (air flow/throttle position?)

Perhaps it works well simply because it is a more simple system? Higher revs + more air intake = more fuel?. Pretty much the same principle as the turbo?

I can see how it works, but it'd be far from optimum. Better than nothing however...

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

nope, it maps to rpm also.
    as far as SC or turbo... if the engine is AFM, it makes buggerall difference (except on gear change perhaps), because mass of air is still mass of air.
    MAP it can make difference because it is all about pressure drops.... but if you only changed the preMAP sensor bits, it should be fine..

since you are also changing the exhaust pressure/manifolding (and so affecting the pressure drop/airflow thru the engine.... it's late ) then MAP may not be ideal for mapping...

however, stock runs rich, and timing is more important for power (within reason)....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjaw11sc
    If someone told you that you could get 200hp just by putting the 175mm pulley on they were pulling your leg. 200hp is the absolute maximum an sc12 will do, and that includes really good cooling and pipework etc.
    are you talking about at the wheels or flywheel? if you are talking about flywheel this is incorrect ive been in a 4agze aw11 that has close to 200 rwhp using an sc12

edit: i beleive (could be wrong) he is using a 175mm nevo pulley too

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

thanks for all the replys guys,

as to your qustion, i wont the car to be a fast and fun to drive on the road and to do about 5 track days a year (drifting).

The car is quick but if i can run a turbo at the same psi and get an extra 20kw at the wheels i see it as being a good idear.i dont belive the lag would be much of a problem if it is a t28 off an sr20 as they would be a good match for the gze,who drifts reving at 2000rpm anyway?

how much dose the converstion cost doing the work yourself? and how hard is it fitting the censors into the knew inletmanifold and how hard are the rear wheel drive manifolds to get hold of?
    alot of qustions i dont know the answers to and i have read the artical on the old forum about 4agte it is good but did not help me with my qustions