Thread: 1jzgte fault code 13.......HELP!!!

Forum Member

Default 1jzgte fault code 13.......HELP!!!

guys, i have an mx83 with a jzx81 1jzgte auto conversion.

i have a wierd problem with it logging fault code 13 and 21.

Problem started a few weeks ago, after driving for 10 mins max, i started getting a very slight missfire then developed into a huge splatter even on light acceleration. lots of black smoke exiting the exhaust (which i assumed was due to the missfire) Engine light was flashing on, but not staying on. The auto started changed gears by itself and slipping every now and then.

first thing i tried was pulling the fault codes, but at this time, NO fault codes were logged. So i brain stormed a while and decided to go the fuel route as to me, it felt like water in the fuel or something similar. drained the fuel, changed the sparkplugs and fuel filter, started it up, and drove it to the servo. filled it up with fuel and drove it without a problem for 100klms or so. after this, the problem started again after 5 mins of driving,running very rich, heavily missfiring, back firing and locking the auto in a high gear. i parked the car and returned the next morning, started it back up again and drove it back to work without an issue at all.
    I checked for codes again, and no fault codes were logging yet again. So i tried to drive it home again, only to get down the road, when the problem occured again, except this time, the engine light came on and stayed on. finally was able to pull a fault code.

code 13 and 21 were logged, and could not be cleared.

apparently code 21 is for the oxygen sensor, which makes sense as the car is now running extremely rich, but im unable to get any logical explanation about code 13.

Apparently code 13 relates to a cam sensor fault. does this sound right?? only one of my cam sensors is wired up, but has been like that since ive owned it without a problem.

ive tried swapping cam sensor 1 and 2, didnt make a difference.
    ive tried another auto 1jzgte ecu, incase of leaking capacitors, still no difference.

Where do i go from here guys??
    Please help because im really stumped.....

Thanks heaps, Rob

Forum Member

Default Re: 1jzgte fault code 13.......HELP!!!

Noone else has had fault code 13 in their 1jz before??

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Why have you only got 1 cam sensor wired up? I'm not overly familiar with 1J's but if code 13 is a cam sensor fault and you've only got one wired up that's where i'm heading first; do you know for sure it'll run fine with only one? Even so, might be worth wiring it up to try and rule something out. It is on the factory ecu so it'll be expecting to see it, so the fault may only be because it can't.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Forum Member

i bought the car like this, ran like a dream with only one cam sensor wired everyday for at least 6 weeks. ive wired the second sensor, no difference, checked the resistance of both cam sensors, 1.06 ohms. the only reason im mainly asking on here is incase someone has had the same problem......every version of the descriptions of fault codes that ive read are different, or are only vaguely the same. according to most fault code lists and descriptions ive found, both code 12 and 13 COULD be cam sensor problems, or crank sensor problems. not one or the other.