Thread: 4AG or 4AC into AL25 Tercel?

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default 4AG or 4AC into AL25 Tercel?

Hey guys, ive done some quick searches but cant get the quick answers I want.
    My auntie's AL25 tercel is about to die, its got a 3AC in it.

I would love to see a 4AG (carbied) go into it to give it a bit more poke and fuel economy, but the trouble is we cant have the car off the road for too long and my auntie cant afford much. Maybe about up to $1000 is the budget all up to purchase an engine, we can do the labour ourselves for nothing (gotta love rellos )

How much work would be involved putting in a 4AG? If this is going to take too long and cost us too much, the next engine we have in mind is a 4AC, and same deal with that, what are we going to have to do to put that in?

I appreciate your help on this
    -Dana
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: 4AG or 4AC into AL25 Tercel?

Have you seen the tercelonline website..?

(I assume they're the same car)

If not, check it out - I think the tercels are similar to starlets in some ways.

http://board.tercelonline.com/index.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Do some searching in Members Rides, there was a guy on here doing a 4AGE into an AL25 Tercel a year or two back. I vaguely remember something about flywheel issues.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

One of my friends put a fuel injected 4age into a tercel, apparantly it was an easy conversion, he used the standard gear box and clutch of the 3a so clutch durabilty was a potential issue, but other than that worked well-should be even easier if your using a carbied 4age.
    *maybe he used the 3a flywheel on the back of the 4age? will ask him next week.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TC1600's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bnicho
    Do some searching in Members Rides, there was a guy on here doing a 4AGE into an AL25 Tercel a year or two back. I vaguely remember something about flywheel issues.
    That was Terry (username "Starfire"), it physically bolts up ok apart from a custom flywheel, but the engine is too high for the standard bonnet to close, apart from the usual wiring/fuel issues. It's no weekend job.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

4AC will add a bit of punch(5hp?) A refreshed one even more since your aunts car is likely worn out.

AL25 transaxle isn't very strong, so even a stock TVIS engine can break the transaxle when pushed.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!