Thread: TA22 Alternator Wiring

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Default TA22 Alternator Wiring

Hi guys
    I've just swapped my 3/2TG from one car to another and I'm not sure we've got the alterator wiring right.

What are these suposed to be connected to? Currently the red wire is going direct to the
    positive battery terminal. This is the one I am most concerned about as my battery keeps dying.
    Is this charging my battery? Or should the 'charge' be coming off the ext regulator? And what
    if anything should i have connected on the bolt circled on the right?

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 Alternator Wiring

I'm no pro but i'll try and help.
    The alternator/generator will be putting out heaps of random voltages and maybe A/C as well (not sure) but you only want 13.5ishV D/C into the battery, the charging wire should come from the alternator to the external regulator thn to the positive electrode of the battery.
    I don't know if your current setup is screwed though....
    Are you sure your alternator charges? have you tried testing the voltage of the battery with a multimeter and then also trying when the car is running to see if the voltage jumps up while the car is running? i.e. the alternator is charging the battery....
    if i did an engine transplant i would've swapped to an internally regulated alternator too....
    catch, Ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

MORE IMPORTANTLY
    why does your engine block say 13T? I've heard of a rare 13t model of the t series engine though, what capacity is the engine? how is it different to a 3t or 4t?
    Pm sent about wrecking ta22
    ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

The 13T is the 3T that was fitted to comercials! Same capacity but setup with a little more torque. I think.

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Thanx for looking guys. Have just found a couple of wiring diagrams that i will have to trawl through
    and see what turns up.

I believe Cool1 is right about it being a commercial version of the 3T. I have heard rumours
    that it may be a bit stronger than a 3T but i have nothing to back this up. I Bought my
    original TA22 with this engine complete. So I don't know the blocks origine. It is, however,
    still just an 1.8lt.