Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QFM brake pads, anybody used them?

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

Default Re: QFM brake pads, anybody used them?

I got a set of the street pads for my ssat but have not fitted them yet. Super quick delivery on mine.
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

I ran A1RM's in the front of the Charade at Phillip Island in the 6 hour.. cheap enough... but the whole weekend I had a brake pedal that was less than inspiring. Bled it and bled it and bled it and it never really changed...not sure whether its pads, or something else, but it only appeared when the pads went in.

They never actually stopped stopping... just I like a nice hard brake pedal and I didn't have that cold, warm or hot.

So for the Winton 6 hour I am running some Project Mu's I got sponsored from Racer Industries... I will report back whether they make a difference to my pedal feel
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twentyEight View Post
    Bringing this thread up from the dead to see if anyone has used the QFM Comp Series pads? (Track use only pad.)

I've just scored sponsorship from GSL Rallysport and they're sending me some Comp 9 for the fronts and Comp 2 for the rear. Apparently this combo is popular with people that run R32 track cars, and I use R32 brakes front and rear, so should suit me similarly.

I'll let you know my opinions on them after this weekend's Winton 6 Hour. (If they arrive in time to install them.)
    I'll be interested to hear how these track pads go. What's their advertised difference between the Comp "9" and "2"?

I only ran the A1RM's in the end, and had problems with the friction material delaminating from the backing pad, identified as a squeal when driving without any pedal pressure, from shortly after break-in. Seems to be an isolated case of faulty pads though as most people seem to have nothing but praise for their pads.

Cheers
    Phil
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Not sure on the difference between the Comp 2 and Comp 9... Specs below show the 9 and 15, maybe the difference between the 2 and 9 is similar to the 9 and 15...

Formulation - Cold Friction - High Friction - Temperature (C)

Super X (Street) - 0.43 - 0.41 - 0-450
    HP-X (Performance Street) - 0.41 - 0.42 - 0-550
    A1RM (Street/Light Track) - 0.40 - 0.48 - 0-780
    Comp9 (Dedicated Track) - 0.42 - 0.44 - 0-800
    Comp15 (Dedicated Track) - 0.43 - 0.45 - 0-800
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Phil

Can't comment on the comp 9 or 15 but I am more than happy with the A1RM that I have in the celica. These replaced an expensive set of Pagid and I believe they more than match them.

Craig

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRA28 View Post
    I just confirmed that if anyone wants a set of these pads you can contact GSL rallysport. Mention my name and get a discount on the pads and shipping.

Cheers
    Joel
    Excellent! I need a set to suit R32/R33 skyline front callipers

-RM

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

strange that the comp pads have a lower CF at high temp than the lesser spec A1RM........ the consistency from cold to hot is impressive though.

Seems a big claim for a pad to have an effective working range from 0-800 degrees C?
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

yeah i thought they where like 50~800 or something. didnt think they worked dead cold.

good to hear the A1RM is good (for the most) was thinking about getting a set of project mu pads. but hard to beat the price of the QMF ones. i dont mind what i used brand wise as long as its made in either japan or aus.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ-Rolla View Post
    strange that the comp pads have a lower CF at high temp than the lesser spec A1RM........ the consistency from cold to hot is impressive though.

Seems a big claim for a pad to have an effective working range from 0-800 degrees C?
    not so strange tho, some materials increase friction with temp, some decrease.
    for higher spec pad it is more important to have a consistant friction for better feel, than to have higher coefficient...

plus other isues like amount of heat conduction through the pad etc change the capabilities due to the formulation.

0-800 is a big claim.. i spose it depends on your definition of "working"
    they might not disentegrate immediately at 800, but they might have a very high wear rate
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ-Rolla View Post
    Awww yeah, just drop the "J-Bomb" at GSL and VIP service comes your way

seriously though, do they keep any stock there? or are all orders placed by GSL ad-hoc with QFM?

Cheers
    Phil
    GSL Is the only supplier in Australia that i know of that has them in stock, QFM don't even have msot of the pads Greg has in stock. If he doesn't have them then chances are no one will. Greg is a good friend of mine. If you are after track Pads I would recommend the A1RM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I use A1RM on my track car, I found that after one 15min session I am experiencing brake shudder, I haven't check the rotors for deposits yet, but I wasn't braking to what I would call extreme.

I have mates who use them and have no problems, although one has experienced fast wearing on the front so is steeping up to comp 9. Cheap pad and probably comparable to a pad that cost twice as much through japan, don't know if they are as good as some american pads though (still would have to pay twice as much).

I get mine through GSL great service particular if there is a race day comming up

Roger