Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU for ST215 3SGTE

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default ECU for ST215 3SGTE

Hi guys

Just interested in your opinions on what ECU to use on an ST215 3SGTE (assuming I can't find a factory ECU and loom).

I'm close to buying a Microtech as, aside from being cheaper to start with, I can get it at cost. On top of this I have access to a handset and can do the finer tuning myself so the only dyno time I will need is a full power tune.

I am interested in hearing about other options but am concerned about cost blowing out so I'm 99% sure I'll just go with the Microtech.

Cheers in advance for your input.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Strange Grease Monkey w0n0matic's Avatar

Default Re: ECU for ST215 3SGTE

i would go autronic rather than microtech as they have closed-loop control, as far as i'm aware...

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

What "special" stuff does the ST215 engine do? VVTI, throttle-by-wire, eetc?
    I have a feeling that the microtech doesnt have the flexibility of inputs and outputs that you are going to want for such a modern engine.

Personally - if i was going with the ST215 engine, i would use a more advanced ECU with more configurable inputs/outputs, such as an Autronic SM4.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

I've got a ST215 3SGTE in the garage and it does not have vvti or throttle by wire. The only main difference between this and the ST205 is the ST215 uses a crank trigger sensor and coil on plug setup rather than a dissy.

I don't believe it has electric throttle or vvt...
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Just had a quick look and definitely runs conventional throttle and no VVTi.

As far as I know the only 3S engines that run VVT are the 3SGE (eg. beams)

Ok well I can get a complete LT10S & igniter setup for $1080... a haltech setup is about $1900.... autronic/motec considerably more.

LT10S is teh winnar at the moment

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Do it once, do it properly. Autronic/Motec is the go. Using a microtech is cheaper for a reason, cold start/tuning resolution is a lot different to the higher cost units.

That said, microtech will run the car.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kedderz
    Do it once, do it properly. Autronic/Motec is the go. Using a microtech is cheaper for a reason, cold start/tuning resolution is a lot different to the higher cost units.

That said, microtech will run the car.

That's a mighty high horse you've gotten on there Kedderz considering you're still yet to actually use or tune Microtech or Autronic yourself .

Shifty, you could also get an Adaptronic for pretty much the same price as you're looking at for the Microtech, so that's another option. Just do your research and determine which ECU will do the job you require.

If you spec the Microtech correctly when you purchase it and choose to have it enabled to control a two wire ICV you'll have perfectly good cold start and the rest of the tune is up to the capability of the tuner.

All the resolution and features in the world can't overcome short comings of tuning ability. Just look at all the high end ECU's you and I know of Kedderz that are tuned by workshops and run like a bag of shit in many situations and plenty of cheap ones that run fine

My opinion would be to use an Adaptronic e420c if you don't want to spend too much coin. But that's just an opinion like everyone else has offered

Do your research, take opinions with a grain of salt as most are biased in some way and if possible try a GOOD example of the ECU's you want to run if you know of someone who has one in a car, workshops that are distributors of the ECU's you're interested in would be a good start if you want to see them in action.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

High horse indeed

If you cant learn from other peoples mistakes research? The microtech will run the car and probably do a decent job of it. The autronic is simply better at doing that. There are variables for sure in the tuning, thats unavoidable.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Quote Originally Posted by Kedderz
    you cant learn from other peoples mistakes research?

You certainly can, that's what's so great about this tech section when people contribute properly.

Some actual technical input to back up claims to go one way or the other for the bloke would be nice though. Implying Microtech is the wrong way to do it and Autronic is the right way to do it is hardly helpful or correct.

Neither is right or wrong and I doubt 9 out of 10 people would actually appreciate the differences between the two if both were installed and set up correctly.

If shifty provided more info on the inputs and outputs he plans to run from the ECU, the conditions the vehicle will be used in (daily driven/race only/ drags/ track/ skids/etc) and other details like what is he using for boost control? Does he want the ECU to control it, does he want traction control, closed loop fuel control, autotune or similar, does he want it emmissions compliant in the future????? it would help with the feedback people provide too as some of the above features and capabilities required instantly rule out particular ECU's.

Do it right, do it once. Great catch call if applied correctly.
    My KE25 thread

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Shifty ol' mate forget the Microtech and get an Adaptronic. Same price or less and a metric arseload better in every way.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

I hear a lot of people talking about these things. Although it's not necessarily reflective of the quality of the product, the website doesn't look particularly professional.

I've actually just done some looking and a Motec M4 isn't as expensive as I'd have thought ($2200 for ECU and basic loom) - the only real drawback is that the laptop cable is fricken expensive at nearly $300 so that makes it $2500... still I like the idea of a motec about a hundred times more than a microtech or some up-and-coming product with a dodgy website....

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    I hear a lot of people talking about these things. Although it's not necessarily reflective of the quality of the product, the website doesn't look particularly professional.

I've actually just done some looking and a Motec M4 isn't as expensive as I'd have thought ($2200 for ECU and basic loom) - the only real drawback is that the laptop cable is fricken expensive at nearly $300 so that makes it $2500... still I like the idea of a motec about a hundred times more than a microtech or some up-and-coming product with a dodgy website....

The adaptronic website isn't all glitz and glamour but did you read the specs of the ECU? I dare say if you compare it to the M4 you will be very impressed with the e420c and will have a lot of change left in your pocket. Edit: They've been around a while now too, plenty of people on here use them if you need first hand experience.

That said you're not going to go wrong with the M4.
    My KE25 thread

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice wipava_454's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty

I just think it is kind of strange that you are basing a product on the look of their website. A poor website doesn't mean a poor product, I may just mean they put alot more work into their product so that it can do its own talking not its website.

Just some food for thought.