Thread: fuel economy

Forum Member

Default fuel economy

what would be better on gas... 1jzgte(single turb vvt) or a rb20det in a e30 318i bmw? mainly around town driving and both automatic. im going to be chucking 1 of them into my beema but cant decide so using the fuel economy to decide

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: fuel economy

How can u even Compare a Single turbo VVti 2.5L 1JZ motor to a shitty Rb20 ??? 1 Has shitloads of torque and from such a low Rpm and the Other will make more Torque under water as a boat Anchor ! Ive driven plenty of Rb20's .... They Suck majorly ! Nothing under 3500rpm at all. And the 1JZ vvti is actually quite good on normal fuel from the factory anyways.

What type of Gas setup would you be using ? Gas Injection ? or Mixer ? Imo, i would drop the VVti 1JZ in and leave it on petrol. The Soarer guys reckon they get great fuel economy with those engines even in stock form.
    11.72 @ 116.7mph = Quickest Stock Turbo Jzz30 series Soarer And 1st into the 11's WOOOT!!!

Still going good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_7aRUGshw

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Im guessing waikato isn't in aus? Gas may = petrol perhaps?

1jz still wins either way
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

On a highway they'd probably be much of a muchness, maybe a tad in favour of the RB20. Around town though, the RB20 will be on boost a lot more just to get around which will even it all out. Factor in the 1JZ will be eleventy billion times smoother, with more power and torque, it wins hands down.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

If you are worried about fuel consumption then keep the stock BMW engine and forget about anything more powerful. If the car is used to potter about the city then there is no need for a powerful turbo engine. If the car is going to be used for some thrashing and fun, then the last thing you should care about is fuel consumption.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Forum Member

Cool Re: fuel economy

well actually no your wrong. the bmw is worse that the gtst i had previously. and nevermind dicks that say you cant have performance and economy! i know all about the awesomeness of the 1jz, i was just a lill nervous that the extra 500cc would make it worse on gas. so 1jz it is then

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

If you search under the member's ride thread you'll see my E36 BMW 318i with 2JZ-GTE conversion. Anyway here is the thread http://www.toymods.net//forums/showt...894#post812894 ...

The car obviously does goes very hard with the 2JZ and at the same time also does drink much more fuel (hence the mods I have) ... But getting into engine conversion and espectially with turbo ones you already got to be prepare to spend more on fuel.

2JZ or even 1JZ is a bigger capacity engine compare to RB20 so by just looking at that you can tell which one would use more fuel. However RB20 with massive injectors and turbo can also use more fuel than stock 2JZ.

But really fuel consumptions is a very small issues in the mods ... I never care how much I spend on petrol as I have accepted my faith since I start mucking around with cars.

Anyway, good luck with the conversion and good choice if you go with the 1JZ
    Signed
    M4C

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e30
    well actually no your wrong. the bmw is worse that the gtst i had previously. and nevermind dicks that say you cant have performance and economy! i know all about the awesomeness of the 1jz, i was just a lill nervous that the extra 500cc would make it worse on gas. so 1jz it is then
    Maybe there's something wrong with the M40 (I'm assuming) that is giving it worse consumption than a turbo 6, worth looking into that first?
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

My experience with RB20 is that they're a pretty smooth motor, and very good on fuel, similar to a 4cyl SR20. The low-down torque isn't bad with the *standard* turbo, the main problem is the heavy-ass cars they got put in. The 1JZ will WALK on it everywhere on the other hand, but I'd expect it to use a lot more fuel, forum users seem to average 15L/100km (correct me if I'm wrong), where both (nearly stock) RB20s I've been around have averaged 10L/100.

This might not be a fair comparison, most of the guys here probably have modified their 1JZ pretty heavily, but it does seem to be a thirsty motor.

-RM.

Forum Member

Unhappy Re: fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by mullett
    My experience with RB20 is that they're a pretty smooth motor, and very good on fuel, similar to a 4cyl SR20. The low-down torque isn't bad with the *standard* turbo, the main problem is the heavy-ass cars they got put in. The 1JZ will WALK on it everywhere on the other hand, but I'd expect it to use a lot more fuel, forum users seem to average 15L/100km (correct me if I'm wrong), where both (nearly stock) RB20s I've been around have averaged 10L/100.

This might not be a fair comparison, most of the guys here probably have modified their 1JZ pretty heavily, but it does seem to be a thirsty motor.

-RM.
    yeah i found the RB20 fine on gas around town, even in a lard ass skyline so i know itd be pretty good in my e30. but on paper the 1jzgte vvt claims to be better on gas so its torn me up inside lol

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

There's probably minimal difference between them. Either motor wouldn't be working very hard. The important part would be to use the factory ECU, keep everything as-per stock, and make sure everything is wired up correctly and working, especially the 02 sensor.

-RM.

Forum Member

yeah that was the plan. just stock apart from intercooler, exhaust and EBC