Thread: Debating whether to turbo the 2.7 3rz in my hilux or go the 1uz engine conversion

Forum Member

Default Debating whether to turbo the 2.7 3rz in my hilux or go the 1uz engine conversion

hey
    just wondering whats involved in turboing the 3rz like what internals you have to run or just run stock internals and low boost or just go the 1uz engine conversion but i havent found any one that might make a kit to fit the 1uz into a hilux
    cheers

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Default Re: Debating whether to turbo the 2.7 3rz in my hilux or go the 1uz engine conversion

Search, there is a very very good thread wth all the info you need. In fact, here it is -

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23069

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Debating whether to turbo the 2.7 3rz in my hilux or go the 1uz engine conversion

1uz ftw.
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!

Forum Member

does any one no any work shops that do the 1uz like drive in drive out sort of thing??

Forum Member

if any one is looking to turbo there 3rz hilux i found a guy on the mainland that makes a turbo kit manifold pre tuned computer pretty much every thing for around $5500 roughly website is www.xxxturbo.com.au

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bonney77
    does any one no any work shops that do the 1uz like drive in drive out sort of thing??
    Any workshop worth there salt should be able to do the conversion, but as per usual a good conversion is alot of work= alot of money, youd probally be look 10-15K for a full drive in drive out conversion!
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use CRS engine mounts they will tell you they fit and i know for a fact they don't,you will have trouble clearing the draglink and they may even sell you a trans mount that is off set about 15mm to the passenger side for no apparent reason and nobody can tell you why,do yourself a favour and make your own it may be a steep learning curve but don't do what i did and waste $500 on two seperate businesses that will swear black and blue that theres bolt in,nuff said.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

I bought some stuff from a Certain Rod Sshop a few years ago (for an RB30 into an LC Torana) and it didn't fit anywhere near as well as you'd expect, especially for the price. Being fair they were a good starting point that saved me making my own mounts, and with a bit of filing & grinding they worked fine... but again if you are buying off the shelf or 'kit' type parts then you'd expect them to be perfect straight out of the packet.

Personally I would turbo the 3rz. For the cost of the 1UZ conversion you'd have the motor back together with forgies and rods (if they're even needed?), manifolding, turbo and intercooler all done. All you'd need from there is the fuel system and ECU but obviously you'd be talking 400rwhp rather than 200rwhp.

It's also a hundred times easier/cheaper to do the manual gearbox thing behind a 3RZ than it is behind a 1UZ.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Forum Member

thanks guys but yeah iam pretty keen to turbo the 3rz since ive found a kit and comes with a pre tuned computer fuel pump and all that so just waiting to sell my bike and there isnt a turboed 3rz in tassie so should be good