Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Default Re: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

The electric motor stops moving when not throttled doesnt it? So the pump stops working and you loose psteering everytime you back off...

I know when driving my mates vl, it would stall cause of a shotty afm and no mater how used to driving without psteering you were, it would still get ya by surprise when all of a sudden you had it and then it was gne... Almost met the gutter a couple times

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Quick one.

That engine mount there, is there a brace under that small square of al bolted to the main piece? Might be worth putting a triangle of al underneath as a brace to stiffen it up, as a lot of weight will be on those four bolts when you hit a bump....

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

Hey all,

The motor will be rigged to 'idle' at about 1000rpm so all the ACC's will work how they should.
    This makes it easier for passing any licensing requirements, as it is stated that all the power stuff must work. (Brakes & P/S)
    I will eventually like to go complete electronic for P/S, A/C. But for now I Just want to get it running with minimal hassle.

Regarding power requirements, Idling the electric motor uses 3 parts of f*ck all compared to acceleration & cruise, would be interesting to do some tests on how much power is actually required to drive the P/S, will have to see how that goes.

And yes, both the upper bracket & A/C pump have small bracing bits of ally. Should be tough enough

-A

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Viper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT
    Hey all,

The motor will be rigged to 'idle' at about 1000rpm so all the ACC's will work how they should.
    This makes it easier for passing any licensing requirements, as it is stated that all the power stuff must work. (Brakes & P/S)
    -A
    For the brakes/booster, you will need a vac pump anyway yeah?

Seem a fair waste of ELEC. just to have the engine idleing.. but if it passes dodgy laws, then I'm all for it
    Daily: '06 Liberty 3.0R specB
    Project Car : '84 MA61: 2JZ-GTE + 6 Speed

Yer It is a bit of a compromise, but just for the time being.

I will probably end up putting in a switch for the throttle, so when you are sitting at lights, without A/C on the engine will turn off completely.
    The controller also checks that the throttle is 'off' before starting up.

-A

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

So if the motor will always running, youll be driving this like a standard manual car... ie, using the clutch to start moving, etc?

Seems a little odd, but i can see why you would do it this way to get it going asap.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

fwiw ... I saw these threads mentioned on slashdot about MIT guys turning a Mercury Milan into an electric-only car:
    team blog: http://mit-evt.blogspot.com/
    news item: http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...may-rival.html

slashdot item: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/07...els?art_pos=11

is still in development so the news item is somewhat overely efusive.

Personally, I like this slashdotter's comment about how to define an EV that 'outperforms' a conventional vehicle:
    1) Hit fewer pedestrians and cyclists
    2) Be drivable while drunk
    3) Not result in massive traffic jams
    4) Not require huge ugly parking lots and parking garages.
    5) Be cheap enough so that normal people, instead of rich douchebags, can afford it
    6) Require fewer tax subsidies.
    7) Allow the user to get some exercise instead of getting progressively fatter.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    So if the motor will always running, youll be driving this like a standard manual car... ie, using the clutch to start moving, etc?

Seems a little odd, but i can see why you would do it this way to get it going asap.
    Maybe it needs a centrifugal clutch, chainsaw style
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

I knew a guy back in Brissie who built an electric Subaru Sherpa about 15 years ago.
    One thing he discovered that when travelling up a hill & the electric motor started to struggle, was to change up a gear.
    I believe the theory was that electric motors produce the most torque jsut off idle & then it drops off after that, therefore, the lower the motor rpm, the greater the torque.

Good to see it progressing.

A thought for the future fine tuning.
    Installing an electric clutch like an A/C compressor onto the power steer pump pulley so it doesn't draw engine load when the steering isn't turned.
    Has anyone mentioned hydraulics to run the A/C & P/S? Though this still requires the motor to be turning to drive the hydraulic pump.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

DC electric motors have a pretty much linear torque curve. More power in = more RPM = more torque.

Some Interesting stuff there on the MIT car,
    Not likely to see 300V 1000A lines direct to your home anytime soon ;p

The DC motor torque will have a 'peak efficiency' area, running under extended load (low RPM + High Amps) will cause heating of the windings/associated bits & effectively increase the motor resistance which will reduce the amount of power that can be delivered.
    Not to mention putting excess pressure on the batteries, controller etc...

-A

I can't believe I've only just found this thread.
    What a great read!
    + Rep for the effort involved!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Wouldn't a single efficient motor driving the AC and PS be better than individual motors which are often cheap and nasty compared?

The motor is on bearings, it would use very little power to spin it with no load. If its peak efficiency for the load required is higher, you can idle the motor at 1500 with 0 throttle and have the clutch in for great results.

-Jason

That's the plan for now
    Will see how it goes load / energy wise.

-A

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

this thing is cool.
    I rate it.

Are you interested at all in getting an article in Silicon Chip magazine? I can help you make that happen thru work.
    ...... butt scratcher?!