Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Default Re: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

LOL.

Ejection seats. Problem solvered.

1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
    No way!!! As long as they are equal mass they would just cancel each other out and the forces exerted would be exactly the same as hitting a solid, immovable object at 60km'h.

With your above statement you are saying that instead of hitting a car head on at 60 I would be better off to avoid them, accelerate up to 120km/h and crash into a rock wall...I don't think so.

Draw two diagrams, both with two cars head long into each other but one with a brick wall between them at point of impact. Everything will be the same
    Not even close.
    Did you do physics at high school? Because I remember doing this in year 11.
    It's about momentum & its transfer, & this also depends on each vehicle's weight (mass), which could be different from each other (& nearly always is).

Anyway, getting off topic, I think the point is made, & let's get back to admiring this project

Underpowered Backyard Mechanic Moppitt's Avatar

Draw two diagrams, both with two cars head long into each other but one with a brick wall between them at point of impact. Everything will be the same
    Thats correct as long as the two cars are the identical. Once you get something old like most of us drive hitting something new like most people on the roads drive (ok, ok, I generalise) the newer, stronger car uses the old car as a extra crumple zone and so the passengers of the new car are fine while we're dead. Look for compatibility issues in car accidents.

Think about it as the new car being the brick wall coming at us at 60 km/h.

Even just being in a lowered/heavily loaded car increases this compatibility issue.

Back on topic: Great to see more progress on this remarkable project.
    So does this environmentally cancel out the stupid-fast va61 project?

Looking forward to the data once its on the road too.
    Feeling down? See: Beyondblue or for youth see: Headspace or call Lifeline on 13 11 14
    Finally, a members ride thread. I present project One Thing Lead to Another (nominations for a better name are now open)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13 View Post
    Rabble, rabble rabble!!

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT View Post
    Umm, this is sounding like the age old 'if I was in a train going at the sped of light & I walked from the back to the front of the train, would I then be travelling faster then the speed of light?'

Never the less.
    Ill keep in mind the following:
    a. cross tube battery brace
    b. avoid hitting cars head on
    c. avoid hitting brick walls head on
    d. Rip massif electric powered skids

Physics hurts my head, Relax ppl

-A
    You forgots the
    e. All of the above

And because the physics hurts your head is the reason why for those of us where it doesn't hurt as much (physics always involves hurt), chime in.

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

Grin, Is all good,
    I just find it funny how that sort of stuff get ppl fired up
    I try not to think of it too much, otherwise I would never do anything!

If I was that keen on safety, would be building a roll cage + 4 point harness...
    (Maybe for the dino juice guzzling VG30)

-moppitt
    Good point about the offset, maybe I should stick one of those 'carbon neutral' stickers on the bumper (just above the zorst) on the VG, and see how the Prius hippies react when bake off @ the lights in a cloud of smoke, mahahah

-A

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

No way!!! As long as they are equal mass they would just cancel each other out and the forces exerted would be exactly the same as hitting a solid, immovable object at 60km'h.

With your above statement you are saying that instead of hitting a car head on at 60 I would be better off to avoid them, accelerate up to 120km/h and crash into a rock wall...I don't think so.

Two identical cars travelling at 60km/h hitting each other is like one car travelling at 120km/h hitting a stationary car, not a brick wall. Think of it in relation to each car - relative to the first car, the other one is travelling at 120km/h towards it, and vice versa. If the amount of momentum that a car has travelling at 60km/h is X, then the total impact mass involved in the head-on is 2X. Since momentum is linear with regards to velocity (P=mv), the amount of momentum that a stationary car has is 0 and the amount that one has travelling at 120km/h is 2X. Thus, in each case the amount of momentum is identical - same amount of total momentum, same masses involved, same crumple zones etc, same damage.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Cool Re: No pistons, no fuel, no worries! Toyota Sera EV Conversion begins…

Update
    Monday, 31 August 2009

Righty, less chit chat More photos!!!

Batteries are now linked into 144v bank!

Just starting

All cell modules in place

Close up of cell balance modules
    (the little green leds look eery and cool when its dark )

High voltage contactor board built & installed

HV board & monster 500A / 50mV Shunt (salvaged from massive UPS)

Found a sweet IP rated enclosure for the ZILLA and associated bits, will clean him up and install under the bonnet.

And lastly a better shot of the front bracing bracket.

Progress Target -> moving under its own power by end of September.
    Stay tuned!

-A

Supra since '86 Backyard Mechanic rsdeo's Avatar

Can you turbo it?

Just kidding. Great work.

80's stylin Domestic Engineer Sammich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rsdeo View Post
    Can you turbo it?

Just kidding. Great work.
    god knows if he could, he would

led's are shiny...I have no idea what any of the stuff that you took photo's of (apart from the batteries) really is, but it sure does look cool!

looking forward to electric ninja-skids

It also needs to make the same noise as the Jetson's car

Wouldn't a turbo for an electric car be a transformer to increase the voltage (sorry potential difference)?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

... but will it make the fuckenwoosh sound?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster View Post
    ... but will it make the fuckenwoosh sound?
    Electronic bov noise maker ftw! I haven't seen once since '99 but I'm sure they're still around.

Super capacitor bank, prolly about as close to a turbo (more super charger) as you would get, yes if I could I would
    And yer, lookout the the video with dubbed jetsons sounds when its going

Hope to have the last of the battery box wiring done tonight & finally get em on charge!

-A

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by VA61DETT View Post
    Hope to have the last of the battery box wiring done tonight & finally get em on charge!
    ... we will be keening looking to the west tonight and listening for a voice saying I'll just hook this up to tha.. followed by a sudden bright flash
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

LOL @ zilla.

Awesome progress dood!
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012