Thread: guidance on pluming up coolant lines to throttle body

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default guidance on pluming up coolant lines to throttle body

gday guys,

ill give you the low down on what my situation is. basically i have a big port 4age in my ae86. i bought the car with a custom throttle body and inlet plenum (basically cut and shut with cold start, intake temp etc etc welded up) so i have a spare plenum which im getting cut and shut tomorow (not what i need help with) . now the throttle body is a complete write off so ive gone and gotten a 3sge throttle body with all the coolant lines etc attached after comparing the 2 and noticing they are stupidly similar. so im sitting in the engine bay of the celica at the wreckers to get a good squiz at what is plumbed up to where. ive noticed that the coolant lines all go to the water temp sensor sender thingo at the back of the head (like a small port 4age), but wait! a big port is different! so my question is where the hell can i plumb all my coolant lines to on a big port 4age? to be honest ive never studied a 4age in fwd format and only studied the small port at the wreckers today.

my mission is to make a nicely starting bigport 4age on a cold morning as im sick of the coughing and spluttering that ive put up with for 2 and a half years.

any help is greatly appreciated

cheers,

stefan

ps, if theres pictures of a guide that would be most helpful, i had a search on this forum and no such luck with finding the info i wanted

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Default Re: guidance on pluming up coolant lines to throttle body

Dood, the coolant lines on the throttle body don't do much for cold starts...Since the coolant will be cold anyway. They are mainly there to stop the throttle icing up in really cold climates.

My suggestion would be to bypass the throttle coolant lines.

Is it still running on factory management? Does it still have its auxilliary air valve (AAV) ? The AAV provides extra air when its cold to increase the idle speed. If it has aftermarket management it sounds like it needs the cold start tuning to be improved.

Rudi
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

im running a jdm ecu with greddy emanage, it actually starts up better with the greddy's tune. i dont have an aav, but i pulled one out of an ae92 today, im quite sure its a different plug, i also have one out of a vk commodore which would have an approx. 10mm hose fitting on it so that wont be any good for me. but at an educated guess i would be better off pulling an aav out of a 3sge celica with the bonus of the looms being very similar?

another question as this is new territory to me, the car would start up nicely and drive with a cold start injector and aav connected? but then again i might as well go the over kill and get the coolant lines hooked up properly to acheive the 900rpm idle

Its weird that it starts better with the emanage hooked up. Is the engine significantly modified?

The cold start injector is only active when the temps are low and cranking, it would help provide fuel for initial startup but after that its inactive.

The AAV helps by bypassing air around the throttle and increases the idle when the engine is cold, this allows the engine to stabilise and warm up before idling at a lower rpm.

The AAV would help the starting and also driving while the engine is cold.
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

4Ag,s dont just use the water for heating the throttle body , the water heats the wax pellet AAV . If you disconnect the water lines you will have a high rpm idleing motor.
    Dave

Ahh, my bad, thought it had a electric AAV.

It doesn't idle high though does it yoshi?

--EDIT--

Oops, it won't idle high if its not there LOL.
    Last edited by RA35GT; 28-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

4AGZE has the idle motor, 4AGE has the wax pellet.

Quote Originally Posted by 7M-GTE MX73
    Its weird that it starts better with the emanage hooked up. Is the engine significantly modified?

The cold start injector is only active when the temps are low and cranking, it would help provide fuel for initial startup but after that its inactive.

The AAV helps by bypassing air around the throttle and increases the idle when the engine is cold, this allows the engine to stabilise and warm up before idling at a lower rpm.

The AAV would help the starting and also driving while the engine is cold.
    engines reasonably standard apart from the inlet plenum and throttle body, but who knows what the last owner did, suspension wise it took over 2 years for me to figure out what the last owner did

im very sure that there is an electronically actuated idle advance as well that is hooked up to the inlet plenum, and not only the water actuated waxstat

not much help to anyone here with out pics so ill get some throughout the day and should make things more clear for everyone

got my spare inlet manifold cut and shut today and is all installed now, car runs heaps better when cold with the intake air temp sensor plugged in. now i need to tap into the water system somewhere to get the wax stat going