Thread: EBC via EMS, will it be capable?

BHGBTDT Domestic Engineer kemicalx's Avatar

Default EBC via EMS, will it be capable?

Hows it going guys,

I'm trying to find out if you think my oldish EMS has outputs quick enough to allow solid boost control.

That’s the PWM aux screen on the EMS software, I've set it up how I think I’ll need it for about 1bar. I've opened the drop down box for what I'm pretty sure governs how quickly the solenoid changes. The base pulse width modulation frequency range is 15.38Hz to 3923Hz. Can anyone tell me whether or not it looks like it will be capable of keeping a control solenoid where i want it, does anyone have some comparative figures from other stand alone EBCs?

Cheers all,
    Ashlin.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: EBC via EMS, will it be capable?

I have ems duel sport - and i had a EBC controled through the PWM output also, i used the solenoid that EMS suggested, and honestly it was shit, nothing but boost spike, the control was terrible. and then i switched to gizzmo EBC, and its actully stable no boost spike and it seems to hold the boost to a constant level there is no fluctuations!

my 2c
    ~MR2 GT with a big arse turbo + a 3sgte built tonka tuff = lota Fun~

hmm cheers mate, thats the info i was after what have your experiences with the dual sport been like? I've been trying to find another DS user for a while that i could leach info from

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

How ironic I have a Gizzmo for sale
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

hehe yer i was checking that out Frank,

2revup - How did you have the boost control setup in the dualsport software?

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

I beg to differ with what you guys are saying! I have a dual sport with EMS EBC and run 30 psi with an internal gated turbonetics T 60-1 and have nothing but a PERFECT!!! flat line boost control NO SPIKES!!
    30 psi and an internal gate is not exactly what you would call easy to control boost either!
    Who setup/ mapped your boost out? I think you may have set it up wrong.

P.S dual sport will have no prob controling boost. Do You no what version it is?

I set that boost control in the picture but am unsure if it's done correctly, the EMS hasn't been hooked up to a motor yet, I've just been playing around with it to get a feel of how everything works How did yours set yours up?

My Dualsport is the highboost model, model number (written in whiteout on the serial port ) is QI44491232 it has lambda readout and is laptop tuneable, Also I'll be running it on a 7mgte.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Basicly yeah But it wont work properly like that (i think thats how the other bloke prob set his up too)
    Youstart the map off like that and will need to drive car (lot easier to set up on a dyno) log the boost and see what it is doing! then go back and adjust. Ie if boost is dropping off at 80 kpa raise that part of the graph etc. In the end your map will not have a flat line at the top.

P.s map boost by what the log says not by what the graph looks like!!! i have got in trouble that way!

P.P.s it is actually easier to start maping the boost in pwm/rpm mode as it more accurate! Ie you can see that boost is to high at 5800 and adjust map or boost tapers off at 7000 and adjust that point up to get the boost you need. You can just change over the setting to pwm/kpa later and fine tune it. Got to go out will answer any ohter Qs tomorrow

cheers mate, i'm sure to have more questions for you in the future

30psi 4agte - you say adjusting boost with rpm is easier but I don't quite understand how you could make a set boost level without anything monitoring the current boost level? Would I just set my boost map like this and then while driving it adujust the all the PWM points above 2000rpm so that boost only gets as high as i want it? I can't see how i would be able to keep the boost level steady like this. If you could explain it a litle more for me i'd appreciate it mate