Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tuning Talk Thread - Forced Induction EFI & JZ Tuning.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: The Tuning Talk Thread - Forced Induction EFI & JZ Tuning.

Yotaholic: that hurts my eyes (for a monday morning)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Toyota Farmer Grease Monkey Yotaholic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    Yotaholic: that hurts my eyes (for a monday morning)
    Oh chit sry mate ,, it's still Sunday here so I thought it might be a good read

After spending the day ( and 20bucks worth of gas ) I have it running the 1J smooth with healthy a/f's . I haven' t messed with ig maps yet so i'm looking forward to even better performance when I get a handle on it all. I'm taking small steps in an effort to keep the hood closed

It's my first time tuning beyond an safc so i'm really liking the range of ajustments and being able to log and make the changes , I thought about using someones elses maps but decided it was best to start with base settings and tune for my own setup. It's a whole new world now and I like it

I have a bunch of questions regarding ig mapping and exhaust cam ajustments so I hope you guys can help out a Cdn willing to learn. I've been reading on this forum for a couple years now and have found it to be my best resource for info. I dont' post much but I do read and appreciate all you guys sharing your knowledge . Cheers !

Do you all run the hks DLI or another type of ig amplifier ? I'm not comfortable turning up the boost until I know I have the supporting bits..

82 Ma61 1JZ/R154 HKS Twins
    94 JZA80 V160 S475R (sold)
    94 JZA80 V160 T51R KAI CDN. Spec

some folks find the factory ignition quite good unless you run stratospheric levels of boost.

how are you going to find the limits of the ignition system if you're not going to stress / benchmark it? I rely on this method for every part of tuning. if your smart you can find the limits WITHOUT damaging anything.

you need to find the limits of what you have in order to know what to upgrade.
    JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

your mums an Carport Converter pato's Avatar

i managed to get my EMU installed last night.
    after a few hiccups with software and what not it seems to be all running smoothly now

as i have an exam tomorrow i dont really have time to start mucking around with it yet
    but i intend to have a quick look at some afr's this arv at some stage

damm thing was a freakin bitch to start the first time tho
    was cranking for about 2 mins
    Quote Originally Posted by RAd28
    I certainly don't need to stick my hand in a blender to know it'll cut my fingers off, and i don't need to weave in and out of traffic at 120 to know it's fucking stupid.

on the topic of knock.
    it makes it hard for me to hear it when my screamers rright next to my window, so iam going from my data logger.
    sensing from the stock knock sensor.
    4% peak amount of knock in a 3rd gear power run
    iam not sure whats too much etc etc ???
    I certainly don't need to stick my hand in a blender to know it'll cut my fingers off, and i don't need to weave in and out of traffic at 120 to know it's fucking stupid.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

you need some det cans to listen for actual knock so you know what values in the software correspond with real knock. I've used a knock-link box which connects to the stock or an aftermarket bosch knock sensor and has a headphone output jack on the side. Works very well for monitoring knock while tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by pato
    it makes it hard for me to hear it when my screamers rright next to my window,
    Another reason why I hate screamers and think theyre perhaps one of the worst popular mods in automotive history next to blow off valves.

this used to be a popular knock sensor interface on the MSEFI/MSextra forums:

http://www.viatrack.ca/

this was something i considered doing a while back...

my screamer is plumbacable ( good insight in the first place )
    so i may have to do that.

my knowledge of the sensitivity of stock knock sensors is a little lacking.
    i had a fairly large spike ( 18% or so ) during wheel spin
    but only 4% during a power run through 3rd.

so my immediate concern ( as i still have to drive my car as a daily until iam done with my exams and focus more time on this ) is should i be overly concerned about this 4%, or is it more than likely just related to the stock sensor being overly touchy, especially being so close to the vibrations of the screamer pipe. ?

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    some folks find the factory ignition quite good unless you run stratospheric levels of boost.
    My goals aren't over the top . I'd like to run 18-22psi on the T3G's . Hoping for 300rwkw with my setup. T3G's , usdm cams , 3" exhaust /no cat, 24x3.5x12 IC , adj cams gears, Mines ecu , EMU, 650 sards, Profec B ebc, Plugs gappped to .22 . Do you think an ignition amp is required ?

JZ ,,, yeah I hear ya I'll start turnng up the boost and tuning as I go. I've never experienced spark blowout so I would rather avoid it than have to identify it. I don't have access to a dyno so i'm nervous about finding my setups limitations at wot on the highway. I know it's impossible to reach it's potential unless I push the limits . For now i'm just trying to make the right changes and learn from others as I make improvements .

Pato,,,, Well done !! I've read lots of threads about problems with the first start . Looks like we did it right the first time What injectors are you running ? I can't advise you on the knock sensor . I haven't seen any knock signal on any of my logs yet.

hmm well thats not a good sign for me then if u havent seen any knocks
    iam running 440's

i havent had time to muck around with it at all yet really
    so all ive done is input the perameters including the 440's in the after section as well as done the boost limiter
    i ended up clamping mine at 4.3v, anything higher and it would boost cut like crazy
    on initial drive it seems to run a little to lean for my liking (roughly 12:1) with a fairly high injector duty 80ish% @ 17psi
    it seems to go stupidly rich in really high revs (>6200), so not sure what that is yet.
    but after my exams ill have plenty of time to sus it all out

but allready it does feel faster at 17psi than it did at 20psi with the safc, so all looks promising so far.
    just gotta make it safe =]

oh and also, do u have a problem with your logs being really laggy ??
    sometimes it freezes mid run.
    i know its not the computer cause iam running a dual core laptop. so it must be the emanage

Quote Originally Posted by pato
    hmm well thats not a good sign for me then if u havent seen any knocks
    iam running 440's

i havent had time to muck around with it at all yet really
    so all ive done is input the perameters including the 440's in the after section as well as done the boost limiter
    i ended up clamping mine at 4.3v, anything higher and it would boost cut like crazy
    on initial drive it seems to run a little to lean for my liking (roughly 12:1) with a fairly high injector duty 80ish% @ 17psi
    it seems to go stupidly rich in really high revs (>6200), so not sure what that is yet.
    but after my exams ill have plenty of time to sus it all out

but allready it does feel faster at 17psi than it did at 20psi with the safc, so all looks promising so far.
    just gotta make it safe =]

oh and also, do u have a problem with your logs being really laggy ??
    sometimes it freezes mid run.
    i know its not the computer cause iam running a dual core laptop. so it must be the emanage

Nope I haven't noticed any lag but i'll watch for it tonight and report back. When you save them and look at them later is the lag present in the log or is it a real time comm. error ? Might be as simple as the the wrong cable usb-b or a PC setting.. When I hooked up my emu I oouldn't see half the adj. maps on my screen . For example It would only show down to 4.0v on the airflow map . Turned out it was in my PC settings.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding the knock signal . I'm running meth injection so that might be keeping it under control. I haven't seen a knock signal since installing it,, even on the safc. 91 octane is the best juice I can buy at the pumps here so I saw meth as my best option. Working out great so far

I decided to leave the 380's in for my first startup . I wanted to know what I was doing before I droped the 650's in. With the 380's I was at 92% duty @ 4800 rpms 15psi . I had to toss the 650's in right away ( last night) . I also wanted to get a clean base tune down before I switched .
    If I understand the system right all we have to do is change the before /after injector size and lag time and the EMU will use the exisiting map I already set with the stockers . I'm not sure how well thats going to work out but i'll let you know ... tonight . Damn work gets in the way LOL
    I really like the Trace Map option. It highlights the current block that your running in which makes for spot on calibration for that area . Very nice when your trying to watch the road , a/f guage and laptop all at the same time. A dyno would make it so much easier

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

More than likely yes, you will need an ignition amplifier . HKS DLI is a great solution, and means you can go back to running a larger gap as well
    11.72 @ 116.7mph = Quickest Stock Turbo Jzz30 series Soarer And 1st into the 11's WOOOT!!!

Still going good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_7aRUGshw