Thread: w5x shifter position change pics

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic maurice c's Avatar

Default w5x shifter position change pics

Hi all,
    recently I have got a w57 to fit to my 40 but the shifter position was different as I have stated in other threads. There are four shifter positions on the w5x, I needed to go from the first on the left to the third on the left.

From

To this

I got the required housing and shifter fitted with a new bush, also new oil seals for the box itself.Heres a picture of the new and old shifter bushings, no prizes for guessing which is the new one, mayby i'm just getting obsessive in my old age, there were a few more miles in it.

Heres apicture of the new bush fitted, it will just slip in, make sure yu get the old rubber ring out though.

Heres the 57 with a ra64 shifter position, you need to take out the six bolts first of all that hold the housing on, take away the six spacer washers and rubber booth. this is what you will see.

I need to change the shifter but it cant be taken out with the rear housing attached. Heres the difference between the two positions.
    Sit the box upright on it bellhousing and clean down any dirt to make sure none gets inside the box itself. Put it in neutral(important). Take the bolt and washer out of the shifter. Take out the 11 bolts that connect the rear housing with the sandwich plate. There is a lever point on the passengers side of the box that you can use to seperate the rear housing without breaking the seal on teh other side of the sandwich plate, use a crowbar or a large screwdriver on it, the housing will then lift off without too much fuss. This is what will be revealed.

This is a good time to replace the rear seal.

Now the thing to do is clean the dirt out of the rear housing clean the sealing surfaces, I scraped away the old gasket and applied sealant, dont know if gaskets are available. Then lower the housing back onto the sandwich plate. When it gets here put back on the shifter.

Heres the fitted shifter. Goto part 2.....
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: w5x shifter position change pics

Quote Originally Posted by maurice c
    Now you may get in trouble when trying to fit the housing again, if the housing wont bolt up leaving about 2-3 mm between the surfaces you have knocked it into gear and need to put it back in neutral. Heres the selectors, its in neutral it should be sitting in the middle position.

You'll need to put it back in neutral requiring some force. When its all back together check to make sure you can select all gears before fitting it to your car. Good luck.
    . .
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS