Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2jzge or 1jzgte into mx83

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Default 2jzge or 1jzgte into mx83

hey guys.

into

my recent purchase was a mx83 cressida.

brought it not running (fucked starter motor). replaced the starter motor and was running sweet but it was soon obvious that the water pump was stuffed. so replaced that, renewed the rego and thought atlast im set! but it was not to be. the previous owner had claimed to have drained the oil out of it for some reason, filled it with oil before taking it for a run. after replaceding the water pump. took it on its first drive to hear a spun bearing!! (no BHG just bearing)

been looking for a healthy 7m locally and cant find one.

so i could rebuild the motor for around $500-$600 providing that the crank only needs a polish and nothing else major is wrong with the motor. i allowed that much for rings, bearings, one over size pistons and full gasket kit, bore, decking..

so the other option it to upgrade to a 1jzgte or 2jzge.

think im liking the 2jzge idea most but wouldnt be displeased with a 1jz.

the tech part

from my research so far i have found that for a 2jzge conversion i need jzx81 engine mounts, 2j or 1j auto bellhousing and the motor should bolt in. its a 1989 model will it still bolt in?? or does it have to be a 1990 or later?

oh also need a front sump i know..
    also about wiring? heard mention that you can use a 7m loom on a 2j but what about the fact that 2j is MAP or could you just use the 7m AFM on the 2j?? and run the 7m ecu?

if not how hard is it to mix in the 2jz loom/ecu into the cressy loom. want to retain all the normal workings (climate control, cruse control, dash warning lights)..
    also what accessories can be swapped over from the 7m?
    do i use the PS & A/C pumps from 2jz (will 1jz work?) or 7m and will lines match up still?

sorry for the poor setting out its kinda a mess...

also found this while searching...

Piss easy conversion

Purchase 2JZGE with loom and ecu, front sump, preferably an auto with slip yoke.
    Purchase JZX81 alloy mounts.
    Put mounts on block
    Insert motor, bolt everything up.
    Some custom radiator hoses (if not same as factory)/heater hoses
    Some wiring splicing, extend alternator wiring
    RA6x power steering lines, or long custom lines.
    Few other small bits (throttle cable etc)

Your tacho will work, your speedo will work, your temp guage will work.
    A/C lines are the same (I assume the compressor is different though)

Drive off.
    Do skids.
    Last edited by Shakotan_Aaron; 07-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 2jzge or 1jzgte into mx83

oh so many questions....
    well, firstly, id like to state that there is a whole WEBSITE / forum dedicated to 1jz / 2jz into cressidas. i believe its called toyotacressida.net..........

anyway... to start with your questions...
    from my research so far i have found that for a 2jzge conversion i need jzx81 engine mounts, 2j or 1j auto bellhousing and the motor should bolt in. its a 1989 model will it still bolt in?? or does it have to be a 1990 or later?

yes jzx81 mounts will be fine, or else you can use jzx90 mounts, but they have to be swapped around. as far as the year model goes, i believe the 8th month?1989(dont quote me on this one, cause im not 100% sure)(PLENTY of writeups on it) was when they changed the crossmember angle around to the correct one. yes bellhousing will bolt up.

also about wiring? heard mention that you can use a 7m loom on a 2j but what about the fact that 2j is MAP or could you just use the 7m AFM on the 2j?? and run the 7m ecu?

i dont know a lot about the 2jzge ECU but i do know that it has been done before so its probably just a matter of getting a main plug from a 2jz - ge'd powered body. if you have the complete engine loom then you'll see which plug you need! and as for the MAP sensor, it shall be fine considering your not using the 7m ECU your using the 2jz one

(correct me if im wrong, but only the 2jz-gte is MAP sensor, is it not????)

also what accessories can be swapped over from the 7m?
    accessories? what for? lol but seriously, the things youll have to think about are : power steering lines radiator hoses... umm thats it i think... ill edit once i think of more.

do i use the PS & A/C pumps from 2jz (will 1jz work?) or 7m and will lines match up still?

yes use the pumps. NO the power steer wont match up, - you'll have to work something out there.

all in all, the BEST and MOST logical choice (however hard it may be to find) will be to just get a auto jzx81 half cut, because EVERYTHING bolts up, (unless you can afford a manual, in which case go nuts with that!)

so i hope this has helped you somewhere, my 1jzgte cressida is a great car to drive everyday, certainly makes these kids in v8 commonwhores wonder what happened just then when they tried to drag me at the lights and they just got eaten by someone with a bowls hat on the parcel shelf.

cheers,
    grant.

EDIT: just read that quote, yes, do that. i was just tryin to earn a bit o repp by sounding like i knew what i was on about

thanks for the reply.

i really cant afford a half cut unfortunately.. its a daily but the extra grunt of a n/a 2jz would be nice, plus a much better motor then the 7M.

i have found a 2jzge locally around $500. its missing starter (have one that will fit) alternator, crank pully and has a partly cut loom. it has unkown km's but is internally clean with no sludge or carbon build up which is good... waiting to hear back about it with more info.

just trying to sift threw some of the info around the place to find whats fact or fiction..

1jzgte is still an option but leaning towards 2j

dont need a rocket but would like to be able to tow with it. one of the big reasons i brought it was because i have a kid on the way so need a suitable car for him/her..
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

ohk,

well yer, i guess the 2j would be quite a good option then.

unless you really feel the need to go 1uzfe (*ahemgoodfortowingcoughcough*)

hehehe

my suggestion now to you would be to have a word to madmont (on here) as i assume that he a 2jzge mx83 just going by his profile pic.
    maybe he could tell you the problems he had with his conversion?

cheers,
    grant

problems?

seems like a fairly strait forward conversion...

mmm nahh no 1uz
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Honestly the amount of labour and $$$ involved makes a NA 2J conversion a waste of time.
    Spend the coin on the 7M. Done right they are a great motor. Only shit from factory.
    If you were talking 2JZ-GTE the I would say definitely worth it.
    If you wanna tow efficiently forget 1JZ. Off boost lack of torque is very noticeable. You don't wanna be boosting constantly just to keep your speen up while towing.

Toymods Club Member Grease Monkey scrote's Avatar

or just get the vvti 1j. they tow well

ive been in a 2jzge jza80 and i was really surprised at the speed of the thing! that extra 40/50hp would be quite noticeable.

rebuilt or not, standard the 7m is going to be completely gutless? im not after a absolute power pack, as its only a commuter really, just would like a bit more punt than the 7m seems to be offering.

i wont be towing that much, just the occasional trailed track day so it doesnt worry me if its a bit slower up hills, surely a 1jz would still have as much or more grunt than a 7m even down low/off boost? it would be shifting back a gear to go up hills anyway. another guy has said that he has a 1jz daily mx83 and it excellent for daily driving. what ever motor is gets it will be kept standard or there abouts as i want reliability, practicality and ill probaly get it engineered (if engine is swapped) which should be easy to do with any of these options.

apparently VVTI 1jz is harder to wire in. plus it also adds cost. im a rather low income earner (and just started a part time job) so i cant afford a full half cut, 2jzgte etc. realistically its going to be about the same amount of effort to do a conversion as it is to rebuild the 7m. so it makes scene to spend a little extra to get soemthing better. im also thinking about resale value should i sell it in the future.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Quote Originally Posted by ae71
    surely a 1jz would still have as much or more grunt than a 7m even down low/off boost? it would be shifting back a gear to go up hills anyway. another guy has said that he has a 1jz daily mx83 and it excellent for daily driving.
    I had a 1J x83. I'm telling your that low end toque (while driving off boost) is signifigantly less than the torque of a healthy 7M. But it went awesome when you'd pedal it.

What sort of budget do you have for the conversion?
    How much of the work are you able to do yourself?

My conversion added up pretty quick.

1J auto halfcut $2200
    Battery $200
    Walbro pump $200
    Thermos $200
    FMIC Cooler $200
    Pipework $100
    Complete service $150

So theres over 3K with just a quick count. Plus i did 98% of the work myself at well over 100 hours

A rebuild on a 7M would be roughly
    MLS HG $300
    ARP Studs $250
    Rings $100
    Big ends $100
    Mains $120
    rest of gaskets $150
    Machine work $500 (if the crank needs grinding ect)

So under half the price, and you could turn it around in a week. Maybe 20 hours work.
    Last edited by PsyCo; 08-02-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

If you're just looking for a practical car for driving around, 2JZGE would be the go. Fuel economy, driveability and reliability is a big improvement over the 7M, and they even sound nicer.. Fairly easy to fit, even if you can't find/use the JZX81 mounts, it's not a big issue to make some up, and they're not too hard to wire up.

yes i was leaning towards the 2jzge just for those reasons...

also looking at resale value, its worth 3/10's of fuck all still even with a rebuilt 7m but with a 1j/2j then its going to be worth a tad more. but im planning to keep it for a while after spending all this money on it.

i can do most of the work myself except the wiring which id need a bit of a hand with but a know a few people who should be able to help out.

these no need to buy a full half cut in my opinion. and shipping on a full half cut to tassie is just stupid!

so the standard fuel pump wouldnt keep upto the needs of 1jz?

ive already got a small FMIC or id just use a standard sidemount.

im currently following a lead on a 2jzge ready to drop into a mx83.

also found some mounts as well if i dont get this package.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Just buy a JZX81/90 halfcut and everything bar the fuel pump is with that. I wouldn't trust the old pump, a Walbro is only $150. You must know by now there's no such thing as a cheap conversion. My JZX81 conversion still cost over $4K and that's with everything done by my bro and I except the wiring.

basically want to get something in and running... id be happy to spend extra money a bit later on. easy enough to do waterpump, timing belt later (unless they really need doing at time of conversion). im a tight arse and doing this on a tight budget.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Quote Originally Posted by ae71
    so the standard fuel pump wouldnt keep upto the needs of 1jz?
    no the standard pump wont keep up apparently. (well, i changed mine as well)

what about with a 2jzge?

(can always change it later but just to get me going)
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump