Thread: 18R-C - leaking between tailshaft and auto

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18R-C - leaking between tailshaft and auto

Hey guys,
    I have a pretty bad oil leak - transmission fluid is coming out where the tailshaft meets the auto box.
    I took the tailshaft out and theres quite a bit of wear on the tailshaft where it goes into the auto. I think i need a new seal, tailshaft and transmission extension housing (does the back of the auto on these come off?)

Thanks, and if anyone in perth has this for sale, please let me know!

Ryan

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 18R-C - leaking between tailshaft and auto

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1980
    I think i need a new seal, tailshaft and transmission extension housing
    If that's what you think, that is what I think because I can hardly guess, and anything might be possible.
    It is unlikely that the transmission extension housing needs replacement, only a seal if it's a seal problem, and a bearing And seal, if the bearing has so much play & slop, whether it's a sleeve or ball bearing, that it would quickly wear out a new seal.

Does 'tailshaft' mean propeller or driveshaft? It is likely that you need a new tail shaft or at least new U-Joints on a 1980 with ?Km. Is it the tailshaft's yoke that slides into the transmission that is loose& wobbles around & leaks? Does the place on the sliding part that meets the extension housing seal look & feel heavily grooved or smooth? It might be fixable with a file & emory paper.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic maurice c's Avatar

The autobox that i pulled out of my ra40 had a fair bit of play on the tailshaft and didnt leak at all. A seal will only cost a few dollars and wont take long to fit, change this first and see if it solves your problem before you go spending money on a crappy old auto box and 18rc. You need an engine and gearbox transplant not a couple of hundred of dollars spent in an transmission shop.
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by maurice c
    You need an 18RG or 1GGTE engine and W58 gearbox transplant not a couple of hundred of dollars spent in an transmission shop.
    fixed ... its the details that makes things a lot more fun
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic maurice c's Avatar

Ive been there and done that. I spent 500-600 hundred dollars on new valves, new oil seals, new timing gear and headwork, a week and x amount of dollars later the car runs about the same and has what feels like .00001 kw increase. I should have even saved money on oil changes by not bothering. But i only have myself to blame, when one of my friends suggested that I used his old engine oil instead of new stuff, as it was burning about .5 litres a week at the end, like a fool I said "no way you cant do that"!
    Getting your missus to help bleed the brakes isn't everybody's idea of quality time.

BAMF 1st year Apprentice

There is a bushing in the end of the extension housing. Replace that and the seal and make sure your driveshaft isn't bent or has any bad u-joints, or it will happen again.