Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suitable diff for KE30 with 4AGE

Junior Member Grease Monkey 78Rolla's Avatar

Default Suitable diff for KE30 with 4AGE

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking about doing the good ol' conversion in my KE30 and putting in the 4AGE...I've been told i should probably change over my diff. Any suggestions as to what diff i can use/grab out of another car? Ideally something cheap and easy to do....

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

Default Re: Suitable diff for KE30 with 4AGE

TA22 celica diffs are the same width as KE30. You will need to swap the mounts (coil spring on celica to leaf spring on corolla). Also RA23/28 which I think are a touch wider but nothing to worry about. Again mounts need to be swapped.
    If you want unbreakable you could use early hilux. Probably a bit of overkill though.
    Another common one is R31 skyline but this can be a bit pricey as it needs to be shortened.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

yeah i have a ta22 diff in my ke30 and i think a gy by the user of megz is using a ta22 diff in a ke20 with 4a turbo.
    Good for a start off and it should handle a NA 4age but if you know for sure it will be turbo in the future go for something bigger.

Also dont forget to upgrade your front brakes too.What are you planing on using up front? im looking for options atm.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Grease Monkey RPM016T's Avatar

Dont know about the width, but bluebird series 3 H190's are stomper and cheap as. Similiar size to a borg warner. You definately wouldnt break one in a hurry.. You'd need to convert mounts as well though.
    gt28714AGEKE15OM17SGoodi.

cuzzo: yeah i haven't forgotten about the front brakes - i've been looking into a few options, depending on what the engineer says, i might just fit slotted rotors and a higher compond pad (this is at the very least) but if im forced to upgrade the size of my discs, i'm looking at ripping the whole front struts of an early corona and replacing the discs and pads (and booster)....still thinking about this one

with the diff cant i just replace the centre piece? i didnt really want to replace the whole back axle + diff...

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RPM016T
    Dont know about the width, but bluebird series 3 H190's are stomper and cheap as. Similiar size to a borg warner. You definately wouldnt break one in a hurry.. You'd need to convert mounts as well though.
    The H190's need to be shortened and apparently LSD's for these are very hard to find (that is if you want LSD). I have read that the discs from these can be modded onto T series diffs but I can't remember where I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Rolla
    with the diff cant i just replace the centre piece? i didnt really want to replace the whole back axle + diff...
    I haven't heard of another center that you could fit but even so it wouldn't help with the little axles, which I think would be a problem also.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Corolla Collecter Backyard Mechanic Trent-KE30's Avatar

Josh (Emp) has a hilux diff in his KE30 with a 1GGTE but as brad said that may be a bit overkill but well worth it.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Stick the Hilux diff in, well worth doing.

How easy is it to swap over the leaf mounts on the TA22 diff? Also, are the TA22 front struts are nice compliment for the front? - after all, i still need to upgrade the front brakes, and was thinking of just replacing the whole front stut & possibly lower control arm if it makes it easier to line up...

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

If it's always going to have a 4AGE, stick in a T-series. There is no point in a Hilux diff for a 1.6l NA engine, it just doesn't have the torque to warrant the added weight.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

swapping the mounts is as simple as grinding off your existing diff and meausering up and then welding onto new diff. measure twice weld once

Roadhouse Automotive Encyclopaedia emp?'s Avatar

i was using the hilux diff well before i had the 1ggte in my car, its good cause u know it will never ever die
    KE38 - 2TG
    MS65 - 1UZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey faulksy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BradW
    TA22 celica diffs are the same width as KE30. You will need to swap the mounts (coil spring on celica to leaf spring on corolla). Also RA23/28 which I think are a touch wider but nothing to worry about. Again mounts need to be swapped.
    If you want unbreakable you could use early hilux. Probably a bit of overkill though.
    Another common one is R31 skyline but this can be a bit pricey as it needs to be shortened.
    Yes the celica diff is approx an inch wider. Of course this is going by previous things i've read on the net. Not from personal experience. The mounts will need to be moved. Having said this as I'm no confession experts on this series of diff can the centre be bolted out and replaced? I think it can but if it can't what a waste of time if it gets broken

I use to have a Borg Warner 78 series (eg. falcon, commodore, pintara, skyline, corvette, you name it) in my old 4age ke30. Defenitely overkill but did this for one reason. I broke my diff and was upgrading to a 4agze. Defenitely a requirement

Any reason for the diff swap? Have you broken the diff? Have yopu broken any. Only asking as can see the issue with the standard diff aslong as its the borg warner and not the banjo (much weaker). The ke30 diff should be able to handle the extra power and torque aslong as its not abused extensively. If going to launch hard all the time and give it a harder time then most, the the celica. Having said this i broke plenty of ke30 diffs with my 4age but that was my fault from the way i treated it in my younger driving years.

If going to upgrade the motor/power in the future i'd go Hilux or 78 series and don't spend your money twice on a diff conversion. Remember these will need new brake lines and a handbrake cable made up

There is also a Mazda Ute diff which as a similiar length to the ke30 don't know what ute though. A few people have used these as a cheaper option to the Hilux and 78 series

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

is that 78series as in 78 series cruiser??? they would be massively too wide wouldn't they?

Junior Member Grease Monkey faulksy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey
    is that 78series as in 78 series cruiser??? they would be massively too wide wouldn't they?
    No it isn't. I named some examples that they came in above
    - (eg. falcon, commodore, pintara, skyline, corvette, you name it)

Would require to be cut down