Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kluger Vibration/Noise help wanted

Still just a Grease Monkey Glenno52's Avatar

Default Kluger Vibration/Noise help wanted

Daughters 2005 Kluger AWD recently developed an intermittent vibration like noise in the front PS.
    When I said vibration like noise....it's more of a noise like a vibrating sound than an actual vibration.
    It seems to come in more when the car warms up, and more noticable at 80 to 100 km/h.
    It occurs intermittently but regularly...eg. it develops and builds up for about 15 seconds to a peak and then fades away for probably 30 seconds or so.
    At first I thought it might be uneven size tyres, but they are OK. The tyres have been rotated and a wheel alignment done. Wheel bearing has been replaced.
    It occurs when the car is rolling, regardless of whether it is in Drive or neutral, under power or braking...makes no difference!
    CV joints feel OK, but have not been removed for inspection. They don't make any clunking noises etc.
    Just hoping someones wifes uncles brothers cousin might have had one doing the same and can tell me what it is
    All constructive advice greatly appreciated.Thanks. Glenno52
    1g-gze Corona RT132 (Daily)
    RA23 Celica (Project under way)
    RT81 & MS112 (Still Thinking About It!)
    Wife thinks i'm mad (yep... she's right!)

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Kluger Vibration/Noise help wanted

i chased a problem like this for years in a VN
    turned out to be the torque convertor.

is it auto or manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Grega
    i chased a problem like this for years in a VN
    turned out to be the torque convertor.

is it auto or manual?
    Auto and All wheel drive

Noise seems to be only in passenger side front area.

If it was torque converter, I'd imagine it would change when you shift it into Neutral at
    100km/h.
    It's still there even under light braking in neutral.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Seperation in one of the tyres (left front ?).. IE the steel belts in the tyre are starting to seperate. if this is the case you can check by running your hand over the tyre, you will feel a risen up bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wa5
    Seperation in one of the tyres (left front ?).. IE the steel belts in the tyre are starting to seperate. if this is the case you can check by running your hand over the tyre, you will feel a risen up bit.
    Thanks...havn't checked that personally, but would have assumed the mechanic who rotated the tyres and did the wheel alignment when he was looking for the problem would have done that. Still, you can't be sure so i'll have a look myself.
    Would have imagined though that if that was happening, the noise would be there all the time and not intermittently. Will double check tomorrow. Thanks

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

AWD, take it offroad - you won't hear the noise anymore!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

brakes? ....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Hi,

What sort of noise is it, describe it. high pitch? low pitch?

Torque Converter came to mind to me as well.

Like OldCorolla's said, It could be the brakes, I have seen many cars where the drums for the handbrake had little bits broken off, that would cause noises.

Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT
    Hi,

What sort of noise is it, describe it. high pitch? low pitch?

Torque Converter came to mind to me as well.

Like OldCorolla's said, It could be the brakes, I have seen many cars where the drums for the handbrake had little bits broken off, that would cause noises.
    Car has only done 110,000km and discs and brakes are in good condition. Besides, the mechanic had all that off when he replaced the wheel bearings. As stated above....it does it even when rolling in neutral without brakes applied. And it's in the front...no handbrake there!
    Describe the type of noise?
    Well, i have an old weatherboard house with an air conditioner in the wall. It's much like the vibration caused by the A/C in the wall
    Or, a bit like exhaust pipe drumming on floor of car.
    Is reverberating the word i'm looking for

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

definately check the tyres again and run you hand around the tyre usally on the inside and it will be shaped like a 50 cent piece which will cause a stuffed wheel bearing type noise
    when you say wheel bearing has been done most mechanics can mistake this tyre noise as a wheel bearing thats why i think it would be the tyre ,try swappning the corner that is noisey with the spare to confirm it
    Happens all the time on klugers and rav 4/6
    Last edited by 2jzhilux; 19-01-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Glenno52
    It seems to come in more when the car warms up, and more noticable at 80 to 100 km/h.
    It occurs intermittently but regularly...eg. it develops and builds up for about 15 seconds to a peak and then fades away for probably 30 seconds or so.
    I don't think this could ever be said about an mechanical part that moves and/or rotates, and especially about a tire that's coming apart.

Heat shield/s, duct, undertray & panels, inner fender liner, something like that is vibrating.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by allencr
    I don't think this could ever be said about an mechanical part that moves and/or rotates, and especially about a tire that's coming apart.

Heat shield/s, duct, undertray & panels, inner fender liner, something like that is vibrating.
    No, it could be a mechanical part if its getting close to its resonant frequency. Its called beating, and it will happen as the frequency approaches the resonant frequency but the part hasn't reached full blown resonace yet. Its beacuse the two frequencies are quite in sync yet, so they add to increase the vibration at some points, and can subtract at others during the phase.

Maybe it could be a brake disc out of balance or something, or something stuck on the drive shaft causing them to be out of balance.

I'd look at the torque converter though as others have suggested

Quote Originally Posted by ONCE-NA
    AWD, take it offroad - you won't hear the noise anymore!
    Ahh...you're right there, you can't hear it on a gravel road
    And, this car is not a suburban show pony like most of them....it lives in the country...gets driven mostly on country roads...and does at least 100km every week on gravel roads in various states of disrepair

Oh...and thanks to all you other members for your various comments. The car is away till the weekend, so I can't check out those suggestions till then.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glenno52
    Car has only done 110,000km and discs and brakes are in good condition. Besides, the mechanic had all that off when he replaced the wheel bearings.
    And your mechanic has good enough eyes to pick less than 1mm of variation in the machined face of the rotors?
    When brake rotors get machined, more often than not, less than 1mm is taken off.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice andyjz's Avatar

Glenno52, i used to sell Klugers, i recall feeling the same thing in a demo (like driving with the back window down a little?). Also, i know that in Klugers, tyre wear is a bit of an issue. If you search the net, you will notice youre not the only one to experience vibration at speeds above 80km/h, all of which indicate poor tyre wear.