Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GM LS3 into MA70 Supra

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: GM LS3 into MA70 Supra

Naturally its not as big as the scene for the german manufactors. Big its getting bigger and bigger. The problem is we have very strict testing regulations which make modifications on a smaller scale nearly impossible without a lot of money so the car scene is quite stopped by that.

That together with the economy crisis at the moment isnt quite good for me as a shop owner.

Long time no update but we did a lot of work. The mechanical side of the swap is completly done now and it fits perfect I must say.

Now I would need your guys help a bit with the electrical side of things. Because I hate the shop manual for the supra.

We removed the complete front engine harness as 95% of it isnt needed anymore so we will make up our own for the front stuff.

We will put the two front abs sensors straight into the abs ecu.

The three problems we currently have:

1. Progressive Powersteering

As I understand it this has its own ecu which then goes with a two pin connector to the steering box. The ecu gets power, ground and a speed signal. Am I right that it gets its speed signal from the gearbox abs sensor on the R154?

2. Rear ABS Sensor

As we have a TKO600 gearbox the rear abs sensor is gone in the car. Our 89 car has a mechanical speedo which is another problem at this time. We dont want to press any wheels into the driveshaft and mount the old sensor. We've got an electric vss in the tko gearbox that puts out 17 pulses per revolution from I know. I would need to know what signal the abs sensor in the R154 gearbox gives out so we can search for a adapterbox that will convert our signal. As I saw we then just have to hook up this altered sigal to the abs ecu and the power steering ecu.

3. Speedo

Yeah we have an old mechanical speedo.Our gearbox would give us the option to connect this but then we would surely need an adapter gearbox because of the different outputs. Is there a electric speedo for the MK3 in later years Because altering an electric signal is much easier. The second option would be using and Abbot Cable X which converts the electric signal through a small motor and feeds it into the speedometer. Problem here is the strange push on fitting on the speedometer.

Any help would be really nice guys.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

1) No it comes from the dash. If all you've removed was the old engine harness then all you need to do is wire up 2 dedicated wires from the PPS solenoid to the dash plugs.

2) Hall effect sensor, anywhere between 32 and 39 pulses per rev (of the tail shaft)

3) Pull the dash out and have a look where the cable goes. If its like my 1990 there will be a mechanical/electrical convertor just behind the dash. Remove this convertor (and the cable) and wire a sensor directly from the dash to these wires. I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Grease Monkey .:2DR-FTU:.'s Avatar

Nice build up mate, great idea... hopefully some people over here decide to build one after reading about this one.I want an LS3 in my S13.... but i think ill go 1J or 1UZFE with twins
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Cow
    Here in Hong Kong, I have a Echo 1.3
    I put in a TRD exhaust manifold, TRD quick shift gear stick, K & N Air Filter, Ground Cable, NGK E spark plugs, 2 pcs of Voltage Stabilisers and twin HID systems.
    It goes like a rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    1) No it comes from the dash. If all you've removed was the old engine harness then all you need to do is wire up 2 dedicated wires from the PPS solenoid to the dash plugs.

2) Hall effect sensor, anywhere between 32 and 39 pulses per rev (of the tail shaft)

3) Pull the dash out and have a look where the cable goes. If its like my 1990 there will be a mechanical/electrical convertor just behind the dash. Remove this convertor (and the cable) and wire a sensor directly from the dash to these wires. I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
    Do you know where I could get the exact numbers so I can build a upconverter box?

I just checked the Manual again as I see it the Power Steering ECU gets the speedsignal from the combination meter somewhere. This hookup should be still intact so all I have to do is run the two wires from the ECU to the solenoid as I see this provided we feed a correct speed signal somehow to the speedometer.

As the speedometer puts out a electrical signal to the Power Steering ECU it could be possibly that we could use this for the ABS as well and save a lot of hassle as everything we have to do is get the Cablex X and let this transform our electrical GM Sensor signal to its motor driven cable into the speedo and get that calibrated with GPS.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

The W58 uses the reverse gear as the sensor teeth, and that has 39 teeth.
    The R154 and the A340E use a dedicated toothed wheel, with 32 teeth. So anything between these two values will be ok. Just remember that having different sized front and rear tyres will also affect it.

The speedo output is 4 pulses per rev to earth. The ABS signal is either a 12v or 5v pulse. Very different.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Thanks man

We will then go with this:

GM Speed Sensor -> two wires -> one to Cable X that goes into the speedometer and one into a upconverter box that will convert it to 32revs and gives it to the ABS ECU.

We should have everything covered then I hope but we will see on the weekend when all the parts come back from the coating and we will do the final assembly.

We are DONE!

Just some small things to do like wait for the new wheels because the old ones wont fit over the gigant brakes and wire up stuff like the backup lights and this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPYtWnqQjk

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

sweet

skid vids?
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Jaemus's Avatar

nice work mate!

more vids when you make them! particularly wanna hear a take-off video to hear what an LS3 sounds like when you are watching a supra pull away
    1992 MR2 GT turbo
    2009 Lexus IS-F

Built Australia's first V6 MR2 >> Winner: "I'd Drive It" award - Toyfest '07

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    sweet

skid vids?
    germans dont know how to do skids... well i wouldnt believe it until i see it

If you tell me what the heck a skid is beside loosing control

The car is completly done now and just needs TÜV tests done and its on the road. Its quite nice to drive because of all the torque you can easily drive in forth gear and never shift. We got the full combination meter to work and the speedo and tacho and all that stuff.

The only problem still is the damn ABS System we have a converter in place that upconverts our 12pulse signal to a 36 like needed by the ABS ecu. The problem is the old supra sensor was a three wire VSS that got provided with 12V, ground and the signal cable now weve got a two wire VSS that works on induction. This works fine driving our CableX system that drives the speedometer but because it doesnt output enough voltage the abs system throws me a fault code for the rear wheel sensor.

Has anybody an idea how to solve this?

Junior Member Grease Monkey twiztd's Avatar

loosing control is all a matter of perspective right...?

Mike
    Now - 1988 GX81 Mark II- 7MGTE, GT35R, TiAL 44m, Microtech, 550cc injectors, R154, Xtreme clutch, LSD.... Low boost tune done = 330rwhp@1 BAR...
    Then - 1989 MX83 - The big scrap heap in the sky...

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

skid = burnouts in aussie slang
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

or skd in kiwi slang
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.