Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4AGTE upgrades, need some help!!

working hard Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 4AGTE upgrades, need some help!!

thats awesome mate, So you pulled 140kw+ with stock 4agze afm and rising fuel pressure reg.. I dont really wanna go to an ECU yet as i dont have the spare cash. The car atm is abit laggy untill 4000rpm then it goes good.. I am getting it dynoed again at toymods dyno day so ill see if it leans out..Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    It worked in that you could drive it (did about 100km on the 4AGZE ECU/AFM/7MGTE injector combo). but the issues were:

It ran ridiculously rich.
    Would have fouled the plugs pretty quick after a few starts.
    But worst of all due to how rich it ran it completely changed the boost response characteristic of the turbo (you were SC I'm guessing feral??), it went from a nice smooth and rapid spool when you went WOT to bogging down as it overfueled, lag lag lag then smash! It was on full boost. Very shit to drive, not to mention how bad the black smoke out the exhaust looked at the first change to WOT.

By all means satisfy your own curiosity and throw the injectors on, it's only a quick and easy job. See how it goes in your case with a MAP sensed ecu.

Strange it's leaning off that much as mine ran into the low 11's across the rpm band i.e. very rich. That was using some shit box Malpassi fuel reg instead of the stock reg though (only difference I can think of). It drove really well with that setup but going after market ECU and being able to ditch the AFM was a huge improvement, especially in the mid range.

Here is the dyno plot from the 4AGZE ECU/AFM/stock injectors (pic from article in Zoom mag):

As you can see whilst it was rich the actual fuel control from the stock ECU was superb, a nice flat line.

I'd never make any changes without checking on a dyno/wideband. I have my own wide band meter though so it makes life easy if I need to make any changes.

I have a heap more dyno charts here with the Microtech and old T28 turbo fitted:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23329

I'll add a new chart after this weekend to show the new tune and plot with the recently fitted turbo.

Do a search on here for airflow meter swaps, a few people have used the larger meter off the 3S and claim to have good results, it's not a straight plug-in and go job though and no one who has done it has posted dyno or wideband plots to show how well it actually works, only anecdotal evidence.

thats awesome mate, So you pulled 140kw+ with stock 4agze afm and rising fuel pressure reg.. I dont really wanna go to an ECU yet as i dont have the spare cash. The car atm is abit laggy untill 4000rpm then it goes good.. I am getting it dynoed again at toymods dyno day so ill see if it leans out..Cheers heres mine you can see it start to rise into 13:1 A/F @10psi

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    It worked in that you could drive it (did about 100km on the 4AGZE ECU/AFM/7MGTE injector combo). but the issues were:

It ran ridiculously rich.
    Would have fouled the plugs pretty quick after a few starts.
    But worst of all due to how rich it ran it completely changed the boost response characteristic of the turbo (you were SC I'm guessing feral??), it went from a nice smooth and rapid spool when you went WOT to bogging down as it overfueled, lag lag lag then smash! It was on full boost. Very shit to drive, not to mention how bad the black smoke out the exhaust looked at the first change to WOT.

By all means satisfy your own curiosity and throw the injectors on, it's only a quick and easy job. See how it goes in your case with a MAP sensed ecu.

Strange it's leaning off that much as mine ran into the low 11's across the rpm band i.e. very rich. That was using some shit box Malpassi fuel reg instead of the stock reg though (only difference I can think of). It drove really well with that setup but going after market ECU and being able to ditch the AFM was a huge improvement, especially in the mid range.

Here is the dyno plot from the 4AGZE ECU/AFM/stock injectors (pic from article in Zoom mag):

As you can see whilst it was rich the actual fuel control from the stock ECU was superb, a nice flat line.

I'd never make any changes without checking on a dyno/wideband. I have my own wide band meter though so it makes life easy if I need to make any changes.

I have a heap more dyno charts here with the Microtech and old T28 turbo fitted:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23329

I'll add a new chart after this weekend to show the new tune and plot with the recently fitted turbo.

Do a search on here for airflow meter swaps, a few people have used the larger meter off the 3S and claim to have good results, it's not a straight plug-in and go job though and no one who has done it has posted dyno or wideband plots to show how well it actually works, only anecdotal evidence.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reece12
    thats awesome mate, So you pulled 140kw+ with stock 4agze afm and rising fuel pressure reg.. I dont really wanna go to an ECU yet as i dont have the spare cash. The car atm is abit laggy untill 4000rpm then it goes good.. I am getting it dynoed again at toymods dyno day so ill see if it leans out..Cheers heres mine you can see it start to rise into 13:1 A/F @10psi

Cheers heres mine you can see it start to rise into 13:1 A/F @10psi

Hey Reece, that only rising to 12.1:1 which is safe as houses at that boost level and up to 1 bar in most situations. Certainly nothing to be concerned about.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Hey mate sorry to open the thread again. But wanting to know if the reason why you could run 14psi on ya 4agze afm was due to your FPR ? I got my car dynoed again on 14psi and it shot into 13:1 @ 6000 tested afm voltage and its maxed out down to 4 volts

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

one question before i help you...

are you a relation of "Z2TT"?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRolla
    Hi guys,

I just recently purcahsed a 4AGTE powered AE93 Corolla. It has a AE101 MAP sensored motor running standard ECU and injectors with a RB25 turbo on 9psi

Im not looking at putting any form of ECU in it for awhile but i would like to run some more boost in the near future. Im going to get some 7M injectors and a new fuel pump for peice of mind. Now for the questions.

1 Will the standard ECU be able run the bigger 7m injectors without drama?
    2.What internal fuel pump do people suggest (will a VL turbo pump suffice)
    3 Do i need to change any fuel lines or fittings with the above mods due to increse in fuel flow?
    4 Do the standard GZE plugs need to be re gapped to suit the turbo application?

Any help you guys can offer would be awesome

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by reece12
    Hey mate sorry to open the thread again. But wanting to know if the reason why you could run 14psi on ya 4agze afm was due to your FPR ? I got my car dynoed again on 14psi and it shot into 13:1 @ 6000 tested afm voltage and its maxed out down to 4 volts
    You've got some issues there, the AFM voltage drops with an increase in load.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

FWIW, the turbo Supra fuel pump is a direct bolt in upgrade.

Well the afm is meant to drop voltage, so its an issue that happens with to much boost

Quote Originally Posted by Plonka
    You've got some issues there, the AFM voltage drops with an increase in load.