Thread: 1JZ oil temp gauge install. other options other than sandwich plate on oil filter ???

ANGRY MAN 2011 Chief Engine Builder Admiral coFF33's Avatar

Default 1JZ oil temp gauge install. other options other than sandwich plate on oil filter ???

Hey all

got some splitfire gauges (mechanical)

since the install of 1JZ adsport and me turned the oil filter around so we are unable to put in an oil sandwich plate to put the temp sensor into (not that it would probably fit anyway)

the fitting for the mechanical oil temp gauge is large and looks as if its meant to screw into the block ? or some other location on the engine rather than a simple sandwich plate.

Does anyone know if the 1JZ has a location anywhere where i can connect this sensor for the mech gauge ... i have 3 different sized adaptors that i can use. but its obvious that it must go into the block/somewhere else on the engine.

once again i must re-iterate i CANNOT use a oil sandwich plate.

Plz help ?!

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ oil temp gauge install. other options other than sandwich plate on oil filter ???

remove the original oil pressure light switch and fit a T piece into the block to run both the switch and prssure line for the gauge.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ oil temp gauge install. other options other than sandwich plate on oil filter ???

If it is for oil temp it should be measuring sump temp as fitting them to the block can give innaccurate readings. An obvious spot IMO would be to take out the oil level float and sink it down in that hole. You could even strap the sensor to the float arm and use the floats wiring to pass it through the plate from inside the sump to outside. Hope that makes sense.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Didnt think that a 1JZ had oil level floats (are you confused with fuel?).

What Blake suggest is fine for a pressure gauge.

What do you mean its a mechanical oil temp gauge - dos it mean you have a physical line of oil going straight into the gauge? Have you got any pics?

As for the oil temp, there are two ways to do it.
    - easy way is to make the sump plug accomodate the sensor. Im not sure what way the plug points but i suspect down which means it has a high chance of being ripped off (especially if you go off course - see the pics i took of zedrift at oran park).
    - hard way would be to remove the sump and weld in an adaptor to the side of it. If you have plans for a big single and want to use this opportunity to make an oil return point, then it might justify it.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_zop
    Didnt think that a 1JZ had oil level floats (are you confused with fuel?).
    All the JZ sumps I have seen have provision for an oil level sensor. Some do not have the sensor there but they are all cast with the hole.
    Sump plug is a good spot for a simple oil temp probe, easier than using the float hole. Good call.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Would be good to see any pics of the sensor you are talking about. Will learn more about JZ motors when i start working on one (re: get money for one )...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

There's this option available to you if you have adequate clearance from the bolt's head to your rail
    http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/oil...mod/index.html
    I've also used it previously as a turbo oil feed on a GE bottom end as well.
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

What do you mean its a mechanical oil temp gauge - dos it mean you have a physical line of oil going straight into the gauge?
    It's a 'Bourdon Tube'.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/653.cfm
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Would be good to see any pics of the sensor you are talking about. Will learn more about JZ motors when i start working on one (re: get money for one )...
    JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

ANGRY MAN 2011 Chief Engine Builder Admiral coFF33's Avatar

Both water temp and Oil temp sensors are these :

So i also doubt i can use that "UNION" bolt option either

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Can i ask why your set on using ghey guages? Speco or the like are hell cheap and elec not mech..