Thread: R154 speedo transducer part #- help!

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default R154 speedo transducer part #- help!

Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a situation here. I've got a 1jz-gte in a gz20, running an R154 on the GZ20 digital dash. The speedo sensor (which i believe was the stock JZA70 one) was working fine for a year, then stopped.

This mechanic i brought it to attempted to fix it, he took the drive gear out, and found the teeth on it had ground down a little, so assumed that was the problem. He brought to a wrecker somewhere and supposedly matched the part numbers, as i instructed him to, and I paid $125 for a different speedo sensor, WITH a transfer of the old one. I'm not too fussed about that, problem is, this one doesn't work either. At that stage it still could've been another problem (e.g. loose connection behind the dash or something similar). This has all hence been ruled out by an auto-elec place, and they've diagnosed that the transducer on there now is sending out a pulse, but the speedo can't read it. They hooked up a commodore sensor and the speedo did read it, but obviously the reading would be way off.

So, now i'm stuck, this new transducer must be different to the older one. I don't have the old transducer part numbers, they're gone now, the wreckers certainly don't have them (the speedo sensors just sit in a bin together). I'm asking Toyota for the part number but they want a full JZA70 Chassis or VIN number, which i don't have because I don't have a JZA70. Can anyone on the forum with a JZA70 please ring Toyota and get this part number for me? I need the tranducer part number, at least then i can go to a wrecker and locate it and plug it up.

Alternately, the mechanic who originally swapped it over has proposed to adapt a commodore one to the drive gear, and get someone to tune the signal until it's accurate. I'm not too sure about this either, both because of costs and because of the stuff up with the original one. Can't believe i lost the original part number coz of that, and for 125 dollars!

Anyway, if anyone can help with the part # for the R154 speedo sensor transducer, they would be a life-saver.

Thanks again,

Dan.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: R154 speedo transducer part #- help!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I had a look in the EPC and couldn't find an electronic sender on an R154...

I'm assuming that the conversion used the GZ20 one (it should have bolted straight on!)...

EPC says:

Part, Year, Part Name, Models (Description)
    83181-24030, 8601-8801, Sensor Speedometer,GZ20 MTM (SUBS 83181-24031)
    83181-24020, 8601-9104, Sensor Speedometer,GZ20&MZ2x..ATM
    83181-24031, 8601-9104, Sensor Speedometer,GZ20&MZ2x..MTM (SUBS 83181-30020)

A quick cross reference didn't bring up much. (MS135 for one of them...)

In my experience however all that type of sender is the same, and the different part numbers are different end plugs / cable lengths...

You'll have issues finding one at the wrecker is my experience, the only thing that springs to mind as locally delivered was MX83 Grande, I'd go looking for one of them!

[quote = Esselte]and they've diagnosed that the transducer on there now is sending out a pulse, but the speedo can't read it.
    [/quote]

This makes some alarm bells ring for me...does the replacement sender that you got look that same / similar as the one it replaced? Take a picture of it if you would

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Member Grease Monkey

sorry about my ridiculously delayed reply on this, i'm only chasing it up now in preparation for engineers.

The speedo the mechanic swapped it for looks completely different, it sticks out really far from the gearbox, the other was quite short.

Thanks very much for checking the part #s too, I think I spoke with u via pm but just in case.

Dan.