Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA2x Intermittent Wipers, After all the thinking...did anyone ever figure it out?

Default RA2x Intermittent Wipers, After all the thinking...did anyone ever figure it out?

Hey guys, look did a bit of reading on the old forums and these ones, found some kind of spaced out late night beer talk of setting up intermittent wipers in an RA2x series celica. Now i too am sick of the damn thing never returning to rest with the stock system in my 28, so with all the billions of RA40 parts i got stashed up the back i intend to nut it out, but im not to flash with electronics, so has anyone got any clues on where to start, ive got all the RA40 stalks, relays, motors, everything is there in sets of 10 or more lol
    So, where should we start?

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Default Re: RA2x Intermittent Wipers, After all the thinking...did anyone ever figure it out?

I'd start by tracing the extra wires that you'll find in the RA40 stalk. While the assembly will screw onto the RA28 column, you'll need to decipher the extra wires for the intermittant feature. I'd suggest you'll also need to change to the RA40 plug on both sides too, to accomodate those wires, and run them to their desination over the 28 loom. A multimeter will be your friend!

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

Default Re: RA2x Intermittent Wipers, After all the thinking...did anyone ever figure it out?

1. get parts
    2. take to electrician
    3. ???
    4. Profit

Or like your tying to be, you can be a real man and work it out.. lol

You'll want RA40 and RA28 wiring diagrams to make life easy.
    Cross reference all the like wires (ie left blinker wiring on both stalks) and on the dash plug under column join up the RA40 plug to make the RA40 arms a clip in.

From here the unmatched wires (ie the intermitent wiper wire) will have to be run to what ever it goes to in a RA40. Which means adding any missing components (relays / wiper motors etc) into the RA28 to complete the circuit.

But if your wipers arent returning to rest now, it sounds like you have the wrong wiper motor or a wiring issue already. You'd want to find out which because adding an unkown issue to the mix will only drive you nuts the whole way through.

Hit me up with anything you need help on ... im descent at electronics and i flirted with this idea a while ago (Read: too lazy to follow through).
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

the witzl will have it completed - just have faith and patience.

not using silly RA40 equipment either (spew). My system will incorporate either a switch and a variable pot or a switched pot (with a knob of course) ...... so that i can vary the intermittent period.

A jaycar kit will also be involved
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Why not just by an aftermarket controller made for the purpose. Never used one myself but seen them on the shelf at various times at places like PEP's.

$$$ and extra do hickeys on the dash.

RA40 would look std and work fine....just a lil tricky is all.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TA-022
    $$$ and extra do hickeys on the dash.

RA40 would look std and work fine....just a lil tricky is all.

But it's an RA40!!!?//?!!???!111

I would require only one extra do-hicky, to fill an already existing and unused hole on my dash, which you would probably need anyway to vary the intermittent speed.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

true dat.

on that note though i do await your results.

as i awaited the thermo fan and remote thermo tutorials ... there all GOLD!

Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Maybe having the RA40 stalk so there is a intermittent switch, then a variable pot on the dash/instrument panel to change the speed?
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

Modifying a stalk to fit would probably require more effort than it's worth, however, if someone is going to do it why not start with a decent stalk which includes the potentiometer on the stalk?

The stalk wouldn't actually do much in itself... just a 4 position switch with a potentiometer running either in series with the first position (intermittant) or independantly.
    These would all feed into a wiper control module or other multipurpose module (e.g. body control module)
    You could probably wire the thing up to an RA2X stalk with a switch to select between low speed and intermittant and then also a potentiometer to adjust the speed.

Anyone with a full set of wiper components (motor, "module" and stalk) should be able to work out how they function pretty easily... ideally you would test the "donor" parts on a functioning car first.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toobs
    Modifying a stalk to fit would probably require more effort than it's worth, however, if someone is going to do it why not start with a decent stalk which includes the potentiometer on the stalk?
    There are factory setups that have variable intermittent wiper circuits inside the base of the stalk already (eg ST185iirc, ST205) - virtually no extra wiring is needed (you would need to check individual application to be sure).
    Also depends if you want a stalk with a rear wiper or not.

MX83 cressidas have a separate variable intermittent controller sitting behind the glovebox with wiring running from the stalk.

Of course I understand some (Rod) wouldn't want to destroy the theme of the original interior by installing such "modern" looking accessories

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

I am definately going to do this with my TA22,though I didnt think to go as far as intermittent,I just wanted to do away with the annoying push pull button..I believe witzl is stinging to do the wiring for me
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

I had assumed that a stalk off a different model car wouldn't fit easily... the ST18X and ST20X definately have the potentiometer on the stalk along with a rear wiper control.
    I have a full set of ST205 wiper bits... Witzl knows this and I had assumed if it was doable that Witzl would have been hitting me up to borrow them ages ago.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

If your wipers are not returning to park either the wiper motor has a fault or there is a broken wire running to wiper motor.

Inside the wiper motor there is a copper track on the nylon output gear that has a gap in it, when you turn your wipers off the wiper motor keeps running on the current supplied by the crcuit that the copper track is making until it gets to the end of the track.

If you dont fix that problem first your intermitent wipers wont work, the intermitent systems just supply a pulse of power to get wipers off the park position and then the parking track does the rest.

hope this helps.
    jon

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Not knowing much about xA2x electronics, is the purpose of this thread to create intermittent wipers or VARIABLE speed intermittents? If it's just intermittent wipers you are after, and finding xA40 parts hard to find, late-model KE5x Corollas had fixed speed intermittents that may or may not fit. I'd much prefer having KE55 Corolla parts in my Celica than RA40, but thats just me.