Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2GR-FE in a MKII MR2!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 2GR-FE in a MKII MR2!

no edit button on bottom right near quote\reply button? can edit in other sections..

don't worry abotu left/right, i think more people make mistakes with that. said sleep deprived people can guess from your location that you are talking LHD
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

I saw your location & I knew to swap around the sides in my head.

OC is probably right. A sleep deprived person is prob going to mix up the sides anyway.
    Better than the British off-side & near-side

I already have an GT4 (all-trac) gearbox. They are a bitch to disassemble to modify & I don't want to use the Kluger/Venza gearbox as they're all automatics, not manual (stick shift)

Might have to go back to the plan for an MZ type motor then.

I'm assuming that the other 3 vacant plugs on the ECU are for the engine loom which goes into the engine bay?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist
    I saw your location & I knew to swap around the sides in my head.

OC is probably right. A sleep deprived person is prob going to mix up the sides anyway.
    Better than the British off-side & near-side

I already have an GT4 (all-trac) gearbox. They are a bitch to disassemble to modify & I don't want to use the Kluger/Venza gearbox as they're all automatics, not manual (stick shift)

Might have to go back to the plan for an MZ type motor then.

I'm assuming that the other 3 vacant plugs on the ECU are for the engine loom which goes into the engine bay?

actually i was simply referring to the transfer case part of the kluger box. it should bolt right up to an E153 or similar manual transmission

yes, the three other plugs go to the engine harness, but they aren't needed when reprogramming the key.

Have you ever pulled apart an AWD Toyota transmission before?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

gearboxes are simple dude
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gearboxes yes. Transfer cases, well that's another story. There's at least 4 concentric shafts running between them, which all have to be lined up for the transfer case to fit upto the rest of the box.

Anyway, this is getting off topic.
    I'll do some investigation about this myself.

Gouky, any plans to run a supercharger or anything later?
    Mind you, the power you've got is pretty good considering that Australian Spec Aurions with this motor are rated to have that power at the flywheel.

Anyone know the conversion factor to change ft.lbs into Nm? I always get this one mixed up.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Wagonist - 1ft.lb = 1.356 N.m (1.355 817 952 to be specific)

I originally thought the dyno graph was of the power at the engine (due to the same assumption). Considering that all he has upgraded is the exhaust and intake plus utilised a manual transmission, that impressive!

Are you thinking of ditching the 3S for some V6 power or have another car in mind?

More after the V6 torque.
    I need a car for work, but I also needed at least a RWD tow car. Wasn't particular fussed on the 2 locally made big cars.
    I was thinking about a 1MZ or 3MZ, but if something newer with at least the same power is available & will fit, then why not?
    I was thinking of hanging a small low boost turbo off of the front bank to help out too.

Have you ever pulled apart an AWD Toyota transmission before?
    i'm not sure what you're getting at. i personally haven't pulled this transmission appart, but the transfer case on these does not require opening to install. the 2wd version has a block-off plate that you simply remove and install the transfer case onto.

Mind you, the power you've got is pretty good considering that Australian Spec Aurions with this motor are rated to have that power at the flywheel.

Anyone know the conversion factor to change ft.lbs into Nm? I always get this one mixed up.
    the power corrected is:
    205KW
    339NM

keep in mind there was a .95correction because it was a cold day so the actual measured power to the ground was 5% higher

i do have plans for a supercharger, unfortunately i haven't solved the electronics side of it yet. Motec is the only ECU that can handle the cams on this thing which is why i'm trying to get someone in Australia to get a hold of a TRD ECU for me. or the CUW file from one.

if i can get the electronics solved, my intention is for 260-300KW to the ground. (350-400HP)
    Last edited by Gouky; 24-01-2009 at 12:17 AM.

i stand corrected... there are two shafts and the diff needs to be swapped:

or you could just use the all-trac transmission to begin with since it has the same bolt-patern and then there are no internals to swap.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky
    the power corrected is:
    205KW
    339NM
    Not wanting to start a power figure war, but don't forget these are U.S. power figures which correspond closer to the flywheel output than chassis output.
    What was the rated output for the donor vehicle?

Awesome conversion and awesome result

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Not wanting to start a power figure war, but don't forget these are U.S. power figures which correspond closer to the flywheel output than chassis output.
    What was the rated output for the donor vehicle?

Awesome conversion and awesome result

Mos.
    right, i understand the differences, that's why if you scroll up a few posts i actualy took it to the dyno to see what it puts to the ground.

Toyota rates the avalon at 268HP stock, this is i beleive a flywheel rating. i suspect most of my additional power came from the free flowing exhaust and headers that i added. the stock peices were very restrictive. especialy the y-pipe.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky
    right, i understand the differences, that's why if you scroll up a few posts i actualy took it to the dyno to see what it puts to the ground.

Toyota rates the avalon at 268HP stock, this is i beleive a flywheel rating. i suspect most of my additional power came from the free flowing exhaust and headers that i added. the stock peices were very restrictive. especialy the y-pipe.
    Hi,

I knew my post would be slightly controversial - maybe what I should've said was: Dynojet dynos, despite being a "chassis" dyno, produce figures closer to the engine's flywheel output. A Dyno Dynamics dyno - which are the most common dynos in Australia - will not produce a figure as high as a Dynojet dyno.

From my experience no stock or lightly modded engine has ever exceeded its factory flywheel rating on a Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno.
    Your headers will not account for this sort of amount of additional power, especially on stock engine management.

I make this statement with confidence, as I have an engine (VVTi 1UZ) with (well made) headers and aftermarket management, a manual gearbox, etc, and firstly I have not reached the flywheel rating of either power or torque - 210rwkw vs 216kw, ~380Nm vs 407Nm - AND a similar swap in the US has generated alsmost identical power to mine although it runs factory management and an auto box which simply does not add up. (The readings are consistent across the range of 1UZ engines as this engine makes 50-70rwkw more than an average early 1UZ).

The only comparison I have for your chassis is the SW20 with a 1996 3VZ-FE which factory makes 200hp (149kw) and put down 116.8rwkw last sunday - it is *nowhere* near the factory flywheel rating. He runs factory management and most of the exhaust has been replaced, but I'm not sure about the headers themselves. Regardless, headers will not make a 33kw difference on factory everything else....

I'm sorry, but there *IS* a difference in the way the dynos measure output power, and it is known that Dynojet dynos produce numbers closer to flywheel output than what's commonly understood as chassis output (ie flywheel output minus losses).
    This phenomenon has been discussed offline with some of the posters who have posted in this thread, but they may not wish to offend you by agreeing with me publically - not that I wish to offend you either, because I don't.
    I don't understand dynos well enough to explain why this is the case, but one thing I do understand is that the likelyhood of a basically stock engine producing a chassis figure higher than the factory rated flywheel figure is extremely low, to none.
    There are some notable examples with the JZ series where toyota has provided arficially low power outputs (280hp, or 206kw) which have been exceeded in aftermarket testing, however I don't believe this is the case these days as toyota happily rates the 2GR-FSE at 311hp/232kw.

Respectfully,

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

no worries, you aren't offending me.

at the end of the day, the car is damn fast and arguing over numbers won't make it any faster/slower. i could care less if the dyno said it had 100rwhp as long as it keeps driving the way it does.

i plan on taking it to the drag strip next summer which will be a much better indicator of power anyways.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Jaemus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    He runs factory management and most of the exhaust has been replaced, but I'm not sure about the headers themselves.
    Headers are factory Camry headers. Y pipe and all piping up to the cat was replaced with 2.25", cat and muffler are the same items used on the previous 3SGE setup (IE. smaller than ideal).

I like your attitude tho Gouky, and congratulations again on a very successful swap and acheiving what we all badly wanted to see!
    1992 MR2 GT turbo
    2009 Lexus IS-F

Built Australia's first V6 MR2 >> Winner: "I'd Drive It" award - Toyfest '07