Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7AGE how much power and torque should i expect??

Default 7AGE how much power and torque should i expect??

hey i have searched around a lot for answers on 7AGE power figures but all info is old and no one has quoted a power figure or torque figures. so i'm asking the question

i have a 7AGE with small port head and its making 78rwkw is this on par or should i expect a bit more?
    i have the dyno graph but doesn't have the torque on it but i did look at it while it was on the dyno and it was good up till 3-3500 then it drops right off and then came up a tiny bit around 5000 is this normal? even for a small port 4age?

any tips on making the torque a bit flater the whole way though the rev range or is this typical of a 7AGE?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: 7AGE how much power and torque should i expect??

It's hard to say given different dynos and fudge factors and so on. However my opinion is that around 100rwhp out of a good, fresh, stock smallport 4AGE is a realistic upper figure. Add about 10% to that for the extra capacity of the 7AGE and you're around your figure.

So I don't think it's disappointing. However that all depends on if/how the dyno run's been played with.

The torque does sound a bit funny. Have a look through the dyno results forum at the 4AGEs in there.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

have you corrected the cam timing?

yer not sure about that, i don't have adjustable cam gears. and not sure about who built the engine. someone else on another forum suggested the same thing.

would there be anything more noticable if it wasn't corrected? will adjustable cam gears just fix this?

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

you could try doing what im doing and adding motorbike carbies =P .. but seriously.. if you got abit of grand regrind and possible added abit of more in the way of slight jet resizing or mods to the carby and gave it a good tune with abit of timing you could probly expect good power and torque figures

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

If you dont have a modified crank pulley or adjustable cam pullies then your timing will be way out and the cause of the lack of power and torque.

This is the #1 reason people think 7ag's dont perform. Search twinspam for Bazda's posts as he's detailed how to get it right multiple times.

this is the dyno sheet. doesn't have torque though.
    anything look weird on this sheet?
    is there any easy way i can check the cam timing?

working hard Backyard Mechanic

Motor peaking at 6200rpm then dropping when you should be making power, check timing first do you know any info on the 7a build. If all else fails I'll be looking into specs of build. Previous 7a's I've seen have run lowish compression

Junior Member Grease Monkey KENut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandaah View Post
    you could try doing what im doing and adding motorbike carbies =P .. but seriously.. if you got abit of grand regrind and possible added abit of more in the way of slight jet resizing or mods to the carby and gave it a good tune with abit of timing you could probly expect good power and torque figures
    AHAHAhA.

Dyno sheet looks pretty good, the power delivery looks quite even. Its not going to make power past 6500 (its running stock cams right?).
    Only thing is the air fuel ratio looks a bit rich, up to 4000rpm
    Decent amount of power, even for a 7age

working hard Backyard Mechanic

That dyno graph shows it reading on the leaner side up to 4000rpm then richens out towards a good a/f. Cams would obviously help but 79kw is a average figure and I would want more power if it isn't performing on the track/street.

i don't know if this helps but when i got the tune checked again the timing was advanced basically as far as it could go the tuner said. Would this mean that my problem is with my cam timing being out and the ignition timing has been changed to make up for it or would that not mean anything?????

i'm really keen to actually get this problem sorted as i think it should make more power than this really, i would have thought 85+rwkw would be around the mark i would have.

Junior Member Grease Monkey KENut's Avatar

Your right Reece, its lean till 4, too bad I cant read properly hehe.
    I still think 79kW is good, especially considering its on a chassis dyno.
    You definately need adjustable cam pulleys.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

what computer are you using?

take it to someone who can actually tune cars as well, i wouldnt trust that place with my pushbike.

also +1 for the adjustable cam gears.
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

What are the compression readings? This may offer you some idea as to basic power production. 179#s was "stock" on a low comp 4AG, and 190 is the compression on a high comp. What is yours at?

As everyone else has already pointed out... get some timing pulleys. I'd also recommend you KNOW where TDC is, and set the cams using a piston stop, timing wheel, and pointer.

80kw(107hp) is low in my opinion. Stock cams, properly timed, and a solid compression reading(minimum of 170) should net you at least another 10kw(13hp)
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

i thought that with a compression test you can't tell what compression ratio your engine is runing. Unless you actually measure the bores and pistons and calculate it. I should have good compression as my engine doesn't even blow smoke when cold and doesn't burn any oil. I will get this checked though anyway as always good to know for sure.

the guy i took my car to recons he couldn't do much more. I have a mate that has a 20v with a lt10s mircotech and took it to the same guy and he can't get it to run smooth and recons its the mircotech??. so now i'm starting to think that some more can be pushed out of this engine and this guy basicaly has no idea what he's doing.

i have been also told that adjustable cams aren't going anything while using the stock cams. I honestly have no reason to doubt this persons knowledge on 7age's either.
    Last edited by jet81j; 22-04-2010 at 11:29 PM.