Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avante/TA22 rear disks - bearing retainer

Forum Member Grease Monkey TwentyTwo's Avatar

Default Avante/TA22 rear disks - bearing retainer

When you convert the TA22 drums to RT142 disks, you run into the issue of the Corona bearing retainer plate not holding the wheel bearings in place correctly, as the TA22 bearing is smaller than the ring cast into the back of the plate. If you use the Corona wheel bearings on the T-series axles, then I assume you can use the Corona bearing retainer plate and it'll all be sweet.
    So, are the T-series axles the same diameter as the Corona/Borg Warner items?

Cheers.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: Avante/TA22 rear disks - bearing retainer

Let me get this straight,
    The ring on the bearing retainer from the corona is actually larger in diameter than the outside diameter of the TA22 bearing. Are you talking about the early D-Series (read poo poo) or the later T-Series (read pooish) diff?? If you want to put the corona bearings on, you will then run into the trouble of the outer diameter of the bearing being too large, and not fitting into the housing.

If you mean the bearing isnt wide enough and will float side to side, measure the width required, the inner diameter and outer diameter, and contact every bearing shop in town to try and find the required bearing. This will solve your problem... and all you need is those three widths.

Alternatively, modify the retainer ring so that its going to be the correct size with respect to the bearing.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

I work for CBC if you give me a ring (03 9555 2455) during work hours i can look up the
    spec on the bearings for ya. Ask for Marcus.

Junior Member Grease Monkey craigy's Avatar

When I converted mine, i made up a ring from a piece of tube and cut a split in it and used it to space the bearing from the plate and it worked sweetly. The main advantage of this method is that if you bust an axle at a track/drift meet you can change axles quickly and easily, without having to convert your extra axles to a larger bearing.
    anyways....just my experience, interested to hear other ideas.

cheers
    Craigy
    4AGZE powered AE86
    SR5 dual cab Hilux
    265 powered VJ Valiant Charger

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    The ring on the bearing retainer from the corona is actually larger in diameter than the outside diameter of the TA22 bearing
    Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    If you mean the bearing isnt wide enough and will float side to side
    Those were the two issues I was expecting to encounter based on the research I'd done. So there must be a bearing that will fit in the TA22 bearing housing, is of a diameter large enough and is thick enough to be secured by the corona retainer plate. If so, that'd be the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by craigy
    i made up a ring from a piece of tube and cut a split in it and used it to space the bearing from the plate
    Thats sort of what i was planning to do, but i was looking for ways to make the thing fit together using factory parts (don't have much access to machining facilities)

Another thing, is cutting the axles the only way to remove the corona bearing retainer plate? or better yet do the corona axles (if T-series) fit in the TA22 diff by some fluke?

I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here as i only brought home the disks, calipers and backing plate from the wreckers. ie. I dont have the axles, bearings and retainer to look at just yet.

Thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

the corona axles are borg warner and wont fit as they are different lenght, different spline and different diameter. The outer diameter will be determined solely by the diff housing, and will be irrespective of the bearing retainer and backing plate. the bearing retainer MUST be altered to suit the bearing, it CANNOT be the other way around... unless you want a wider bearing, which may or may not be available. My first statement which you quoted, you missed the bit where i said let me get this straight, as in i was going by your measurements and should really have said IF the ring etc etc. Really it will centre itself into place, and if the inner diameter of the retainer is smaller than the outer diameter of the bearing, that wont be an issue, itll just be the lenght of the protrusion from the retainer with relation to the thickness of the backing plate.

Hope this makes things as clear as mud.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

I developed the idea for the Diff in Craigy's car. As he explained, the ring is easy to transfer to different axles without the need to take the bearings off to remove your special retainer. The split means you can just swap them over. I have got this ring idea running in about 4 sprinters, including mine, and hve had no problems with anything and the axles dont move in and out like they do without this ring.

It seems spilt rings can provide even your car with a lot less shaft movement....

I think i might even have a couple of the rings already done at home.

Jeremy

Righto, I'm pretty sure I know whats goin on but I'll have a much better idea once i get those other parts home. Jeremy, if you come across any of those rings I'd be keen on buying a couple from you. Cheers for all your help guys!

Junior Member Grease Monkey craigy's Avatar

If jezz doesn't come up with the goods, i still have a piece of pipe which we used. You'll just have to take it to a engineer with a drop saw and cut it to size. You could even do it with a hack saw. Its not an exact science.

anyways good luck

Craigy
    4AGZE powered AE86
    SR5 dual cab Hilux
    265 powered VJ Valiant Charger

Sounds good mate, what size is the pipe? I'll have to go and grab the rest of the gear (axles, bearings, retainer etc.) and start to measure this shit up. (then get some bigger front brakes ;-) )

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Hey Mate,

Yer I have some of them at home.

Your in Vic....Where abouts.

You could come around and i can show you exactly what to do with them and how much to cut and all the details.

PM me with your intentions.

Cheers,

Jez

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I've been searching wrecking yards all over Geelong & Melbourne for the past 3 months looking 4 an RT142 Avante with live axle. Plenty of ST141 and RT142 with IRS but the Avante i found today at Pick-a-part in Kilsyth has been the only one i've come across with the live axle. All parts were in good nick too.

Are these parts always this hard to come by????

The RT142 I took them off had a small ring in the back of the bearing retainer plate. My plates have no rings, as my bearings sit flush with the end of the axle, so i'll be making up rings the thickness of the new backing plate.

I got my disks/calipers from an Avante at the Kilsyth wreckers too, a red one...
    It's the wreckers closest to me so it was the first place i looked, dunno how hard they are to find elsewhere.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

well i have never seen any at nsw big wreckers pick n payless.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic Big T's Avatar

^^^^
    I managed to get mine from pickies out of an ST141. It was the only one there in the entire place though and i managed to miss it on the 1st search. They swap the cars around on a fairly regular basis so something that wasn't there a day ago may be there today.

Eddie.
    4agte finally completed. 234rwkw @ 8125rpm. Tis fun