Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MicroTech - 4AGE, 4AGZE and 4AGE-20V factory EFI configurations

Junior Member Grease Monkey kojab's Avatar

Default Re: MicroTech - 4AGE, 4AGZE and 4AGE-20V factory EFI configurations

Although the memcal (the module that can be removed) is seen as part of the ECM I treat them as being individual items. Your dyno guy may have upgraded the progarm in the memcal from 16k (std camira) to 32k (VR/VS) and this to you could have given you the idea that your ECM had been upgraded.

For me upgrading the 808 (std camira) ECM to VR specs means adding several components to the motherboard including a uart chip which caters for high speed logging (8192 12 fps) I doubt that this has been done. Much easier to just to buy a VR/VS manual ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by hks7mgt
    Do you know what the VR is identified as? I'll research the wiring differences to see what you mean.
    Wiring is the same for VR/VS manual except for some auxiliary changes. High speed data comes from
    pin A8. Pin not used on the 808. Your camira loom has no connection to A8.

So in short, would i be wasting my time data-logging with the 12 Pin ALDL?
    Yes data logging with the 12 pin ALDL and and a 808 (std camira ECM) only gets you 1 frame of data every 1.25 seconds as I said before useless for tuning.

He definately did not plug another ECM in, tuned it and then replaced it with the Camira unit with an updated map/tune.
    At this stage I still don't understand how your car could have been tuned using high speed data logging.

Cheers
    Dick
    Last edited by kojab; 15-11-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Chips had these numbers on them, from large chip to the two smaller ones; 16069300, 16067752, 16067753.

What do you make out of that?

This information confirms that you don't have the VR/VS based program in your memcal.

16069300 is a 128K Eprom which is the same for the standard camira
    The VR program is 32K x 8 bit = 256K too big to go into your 128K memcal

The two smaller chips are limp resistor packages and the numbers 16067752, 16067753.
    are also the same for the camira memcal

The question now, is what program is in your memcal and was your vehicle tuned using high speed data?

Cheers
    Dick

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The label on the chip actually said 'Celica 32' and i didn't suspect it was a 32bit as at the time i thought 32bit was too high and he just miss judged the model of the car (TA-'22').

So as i understand it, i have a 128K base chip that will not run a VR/VS config on it. Also i have an ECM that doesn't even have a wire on the pin A8 which is used for the high speed data logging. You said that the board would have to be modified to run a VR config. What would i be looking for if this was the case?

So if i wanted to use a VR/VS ECM in my car, would it bolt up to my loom from the Camira (and all i'll have to do is conect that A8 to the ALDL connector) or would i have to rip the entire loom out and start again?

Do you sell cables to plug into the ALDL connector? Would i be able to determine more information from plugging it up and reading an ID or firmware or something?

Here is picture of the entire ECM.
    http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...t/IMG_0177.jpg

I have close up's of all the components so if you need more detail on a particular component, let me know.

So as i understand it, i have a 128K base chip that will not run a VR/VS config on it.
    The 128K eprom could be cut off your memcal and replaced with a 256K eprom to run the VR/VS config. What we need to know is what format is your current 16K prog.

Also i have an ECM that doesn't even have a wire on the pin A8 which is used for the high speed data logging. You said that the board would have to be modified to run a VR config. What would i be looking for if this was the case?
    I have looked at the picture of your ECM and it is a standard 1227808 camira ECM.

You will notice that one of the surface mount chips is missing. This is where the Uart chip would normally be sitting to give you high speed data. Other smaller components are also needed to make it work properly and in 20 years I have never seen one that has been modified. Would be far cheaper to just buy a second hand VR ECM.

So if i wanted to use a VR/VS ECM in my car, would it bolt up to my loom from the Camira (and all i'll have to do is conect that A8 to the ALDL connector) or would i have to rip the entire loom out and start again?
    Yes the VR ECM would bolt up to your loom. No need to change your loom.
    We usually wire in a 16 pin OBDII socket, the same as used on the VR.
    Only 3 wires are required to log 8192

16 pin OBDII
    ------------------
    Pin 5 = earth
    Pin 9 = Data 8192
    Pin 16 = permanent 12+

Do you sell cables to plug into the ALDL connector? Would i be able to determine more information from plugging it up and reading an ID or firmware or something?
    We do sell cables for our own DST but in your case you will have no communication with a standard camira ECM.

I sent you a PM

Cheers
    Dick

Just looked at the close up pix and your 16069300 is a 256k eprom. They are usually 128K but have seen these 256K on AHLU and AKFL memcals

This is good news. It is now possible that you do have a VR/VS prog type

Cheers
    Dick

Phew, that's a relief. Thanks.

But if i don't have that A8 on the ECM, how do i obtain high speed logging? Could i plug in a wire? Could i use a VR ECM with my EPROM?

You certainly don't have it at present. So how was your car tuned with high speed logging?

Your current prog (memcal) will definitely run in a VR ECM. To test for high speed just add a wire to A8 and connect to scanner

Phew, that's a relief. Thanks.

But if i don't have that A8 on the ECM, how do i obtain high speed logging? Could i plug in a wire? Could i use a VR ECM with my EPROM?
    Cheers
    Dick

Hey Dick, do you have any wiring diagrams for a VR? I'd like to see how different the setups are and also see where i need to plum the A8 wire into the ALDL connector.

Hang on a minute, being the JE ECM never had or planned for the high speed logging and hence not providing the A8 wire, even if i did hook a wire to the ECM, would there be anything on the ECM side that would 'register' it (so to speak)? Maybe its an option that was not required (i'm hoping), but maybe they included this in the later models (eg. VR-VS)

Here you go. http://www.memcals.com/pdf/VRV8%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

If you add a wire to A8 on your loom. Nothing would register until a VR ECM was used along with an appropriate prog (bin file) in the memcal. You also need a scanner.

Have you registered on my webpage? Have a look in the tuning products.

Cheers
    Dick

Hey Dick, do you have any wiring diagrams for a VR? I'd like to see how different the setups are and also see where i need to plum the A8 wire into the ALDL connector.

Hang on a minute, being the JE ECM never had or planned for the high speed logging and hence not providing the A8 wire, even if i did hook a wire to the ECM, would there be anything on the ECM side that would 'register' it (so to speak)? Maybe its an option that was not required (i'm hoping), but maybe they included this in the later models (eg. VR-VS)