Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RT40 Drum to disc conversion?

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: RT40 Drum to disc conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza
    Is the RT81 stub axle the only one that will bolt straight up??
    It's the only one I am 100% certain will bolt up. Anything later will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by bnicho
    I think the front brakes from a 69-71 RT72 Corona Mark II might also fit, but they are even rarer than RT81 in wreckers. GT, care to confirm?
    I can't confirm simply because I have never had a look under one, but makes sense. These things are bloody rare although there was a guy down here in Melbourne who had 4-5 of the things. I think he sold a lot of stuff on ebay too - "neubs1969" or similar was his ebay username. Did these run a twin pot caliper like the RT104/MX13?

When you pull the front end on your RT40 apart, you will notice the ball joints both point down. 100 series Coronas onwards had the top ball joint pointing down and the bottom pointing up, or ran a MacPherson strut. You're looking for that first arrangement like your RT40.

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    It's the only one I am 100% certain will bolt up. Anything later will not work.

I can't confirm simply because I have never had a look under one, but makes sense. These things are bloody rare although there was a guy down here in Melbourne who had 4-5 of the things. I think he sold a lot of stuff on ebay too - "neubs1969" or similar was his ebay username. Did these run a twin pot caliper like the RT104/MX13?

When you pull the front end on your RT40 apart, you will notice the ball joints both point down. 100 series Coronas onwards had the top ball joint pointing down and the bottom pointing up, or ran a MacPherson strut. You're looking for that first arrangement like your RT40.
    Yes, there was somebody who sold off a lot of RT72 bits on eBay late last year I think.

It's a long time since I've seen an RT72 with a wheel off. I've got a workshop manual for them at home, I'll have a look and report back.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

I am putting a turbo 4A in my RT40. Check out my thread if you like. Been some slow improvements lately, but it seems it is all happening very quickly now.

I too am interested in what can be done to the front of RT40's, I am changing the diff over to a G series hilux 5 stud and I was wondering if anyone knows of how to convert the front over to the same pattern? *sorry I am not trying to hi-jack this thread...lol*
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Best bet would be to find a 5 x 114.3 hub and sleeve the stub axle to take larger bearings. Want to make sure the bearings sit completely on the new sleeved shaft.

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

interesting... thanks gianttomato
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

The only problem with the afforementioned is that the RT81 gear is as rare as rocking horse proverbial. most of the cars have gone to the wrecking yard in the sky and what are left are either still being used as daily drivers or victims of a full restore. does anyone know if there is a way to getting say rt104 discs onto the original stubs or maybe something like a ke70 corolla as they are common as. my ambition is to fit a 4age 16v and t50 (2tg is just too old and hard to come by an engine that isn't in 'kit-form') into one as they are cheap still around same size as orig. engine and easy to come by. aside from the brakes would anyone know of any of the other requirements for engineering to get one full regoed? efi pump, efi filler nozzle, return line and cat etc off top of my head..

oh p.s. does anyone know of a source of the spiral nylon bearing that goes inside the front control arm tubes? they are NLA and no one seems to carry them aftermarket. maybe they dont wear out enough to be needed?
    Owner / operator of Souwester Marine . for all your boat maintenance needs. cleaning / detailing , polishing, paint, antifoul, fibreglass repairs / modifications (also for cars) .. I want an avatar!