Thread: mx83 windscreen trim clips

Carbon neutral Carport Converter Jt_70R's Avatar

Default mx83 windscreen trim clips

After noticing some minor rust bubbles around my cressida windscreen the other day, I popped the trims off for a closer look. Finding some more rust, i thought fair enough, removed the mastic in the gap, fixed the rust properly, then used some more windshield sealant to fill back up the gap.

I figured I would basically be able to glue the trims back on with the black sealant crap, however this doesnt seem to be the case, it hasnt really cured. I know its not supposed to act like a glue and is only a skin forming compound, but i thought this would be enough to hold the trims in once cured, by encapsulating the clip tabs underneath the trim.

I think while removing the existing mastic, i removed the little plastic thingos the clips on the trim actually clip into.

Has anyone has experience with removing and reinstalling cressida windshield trims before? Someone please help, ive got sticky black shit everywhere!!!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: mx83 windscreen trim clips

yep same thing happen to me, I had just left it for now, looks like I'm going to have to pull the windscreen out, that or dig/cut all the old sealant out and redo it all

I had removed all sealant between the windshield and the pillars/roof, creating a basically 20x20mm trough all the way around the glass. As mentioned, I refilled this with windshield sealant, but this doesnt want to cure up and hold the trims back in.

sounds like you got the same sealant I got, didn't cure up, can't remember its name but some windscreen place recommended it to me.....hopefully someone else knows a better one?
    Last edited by mark_vdh; 25-09-2008 at 01:26 PM.

ASL? Backyard Mechanic thegreatestben's Avatar

I'll need to be doing this to mine soon also.
    Seems MX83's are bad for this windscreen rust?

The mx83 I had before my current one had windscreen rust on both the drivers and passengers side. It even caused it to leak water onto the passengers seat+floor.

yep, water seems to get stuck in behind the trim pieces. They had heaps of dirt and crap under there too.

I only had a tiny rust bubble starting to form above the strip, when I pulled the trim off (already kind of loose) the rust underneath was 10x worse. Glad I got it when I did actually.

May try and get some pics up if people want them.

Im thinking of just swallowing my pride and taking the car to a windscreen place, let them sort it out

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

I have just siliconed mine up until i can deal with it later.
    Interested to see how you guys get on.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_162
    Im thinking of just swallowing my pride and taking the car to a windscreen place, let them sort it out
    yeah that's what I did, the guy told me he can't guarantee that he will not break the windscreen (taking the old one out) & might end up paiding for a new one
    so I did the above and it didn't work, I don't have any trim on & the windscreen doesn't leak so I left it

if you do take it to a windscreen place, make sure you get guarantee that you don't have to pay for a new windscreen

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Guys i,ll let you all know they dont suffer from rust at if the have there original windscreen or have a replacment screen that someone in the know how has put it back in.
    Its all these XXXXTARD windscreen fitters that arnt paid enough that during the cutting out of the old screen they acctully cut through the paint .
    Now they do put primer down but its not good enough, 5 years down the track all us toymoders have to put up with the rust problems.
    Being in the industry for 16 odd years i see this all the time and it makes to many cars scrap material.
    The best advice honestly is to give the windscreen dude a 6 pack and say can you please be carefull when removing/refitting the screen .
    Dave

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yea i had the same shit with the mx73, and mx83.

mx73 i tried doing it myself and fixed the rust up good but then i installed the glass by myself and had a friend helping and he fucked up the trimming but otherwise it was all good.

the second time i got windscreens obrien and i was lucky coz the guy i got was like cambelt, he knew how the other guys are dodgy and just cut through the paint but he was really good and done it proper like.

obriens can also get replacement trim pieces he said.

if you dont trust the guy then do it in 2 stages, remove the windscreen and clean up the rust and paint by youself and then get the guy back to reinstall it when you are done.

Way too old to be a Grease Monkey stevevp's Avatar

The second biggest mistake windscreen dudes make is to fill part or all of the drain channel with the adhesive, causing water to collect under the chrome trim. My white car still has the factory screen but the two others are both damaged from cut paint and too much adhesive.

Factory design only has adhesive under the glass with the trim forming a cover for the drain.

If you want to do it properly clean ALL the sealant out of the groove and prime/paint the surface, the body side clips can be bought from toyota.

Otherwise, get some Sikaflex automotive adhesive from bunnings or super cheap, seal the drains completely and use it to stick the trims on (leave the clips on the trim as they will help hold once the sikaflex hardens)
    Steve
    1992 MX83 Cressida powered by 1UZ-FE - A little bit Toyota, a little bit An-i-mal
    1981 Porsche 928S "Herr Vader"

My rust wasnt bad enough that it required removal of the windscreen, just some mastic around the sides so i could access the corroded metal for sandback and sealing.

I have been in contact with Toyota, got quoted $3.40 each for those little clips, need ~26 of them (13x2 piece clip) to get the trim back on

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Trouble is one pinhole of exposed metal starts the dreaded process. As said the best way is to remove in 2 stages . Remove screen and clean/reprime and then get the dude back around to fit it.
    Dave