Thread: s13 rear coilovers & AE86

Who da F%^k is Takumi?? Backyard Mechanic 45aken's Avatar

Default s13 rear coilovers & AE86

hello, just wondering if anyone has used s13 rear coilovers/shocks in an ae86? i know it would reqire a bit of customising, but since i will be using the s13 front coilovers, might as well use the rears (u can't buy new stuff in pairs )
    AE86 - coming soon to a quiet mountain pass near you...
    WRX - currently epa'd...

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Default Re: s13 rear coilovers & AE86

You will need to brace (and probably modify) the shock towers and the shock mount on the diff to take the extra load of the spring.

Callum

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

isnt there someone on this forum who has put a whole s13 IRS setup in AE86.

May been on another forum, but i have definetly seen pics. search and google search will probably yield results.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

its doable but the tops could do with a bit of modification, besides the dampining and spring rates from an average set of s13 coilovers will be overkill for a hachi
    SA63-3SGTE coupe driftpig

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Pedders at Alexandria in Sydney will soon be trialing a front and rear coilover kit for a hatchi.I have seen the kit and it requires little to nil mods to the tower in the rear,it is quite a good looking kit

i already have a good set of coilovers, but i want to go the s13 route due to the big ass brakes and more lock and plent of other benefits.
    the setup doesn't have to have coilovers at the rear, i was thinking of taking them apart from the spring and using just the adjustable shock with rear springs in stocko locations.

overkill? simon was running 11K with matched dampers at the front....
    just need to know if the height of the rear shock is roughly the same as an ae86, and if the lower eyelet will fit over the diff mount.
    thanks
    WRX - currently epa'd...

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 45aken
    hello, just wondering if anyone has used s13 rear coilovers/shocks in an ae86? i know it would reqire a bit of customising, but since i will be using the s13 front coilovers, might as well use the rears (u can't buy new stuff in pairs )
    If you like the sounds of the coilovers going straights through the floor in your boot, then, yes do this conversion. I have some s13 coilovers i could be installing in my 86, but this is an unnessesary conversion. Just get some high quality BILSTIEN adjustables with good springs.
    Although if you have a cage, it would be suitable.
    The reason for NOT doing the s13 conversion in the rear is that the structure around the shock mounts is simply not strong enough. Its a SINGLE piece of sheet metal welded on to the body with seam sealer covering the weld. It is not like the front shock towers which have 2 pieces of metal, to create an inside, and outside.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

It seems like a pretty custom job if you were to go ahead with it and also the s13 stuff is pretty hard so lower spring rates would be a good idea as well. this is not to mention that the overall length is pretty long in comparison to the standard springs and the coilovers would most likely have to be mounted lower on the diff or come higher into the car, like aeeightysix said you might as well use some good bilsteins or something and you could also make/modify the spring seat on the diff for an adjustable sping seat so you can change height, a good pair of shocks will also allow adjustment for your desired height. Also with this setup you could get proper 86 springs that would be set at a good rate.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by 45aken

overkill? simon was running 11K with matched dampers at the front....
    just need to know if the height of the rear shock is roughly the same as an ae86, and if the lower eyelet will fit over the diff mount.
    thanks
    i think you will find simon took his out too

ok, i am not asking for people to tell me not to do it, and why you have to re-inforce the mounts (i know all this already). i intend to run just the s13 SHOCKS in the stock location and a set of custom springs in the standard location. if i wanted to run rear coilovers the biggest and most $$ issue would be a custom top hat.

what i want to know is if the s13 rear coilovers are a similar length to the standard shocks, and it the bottom shock mount will fit over the ae86 one on the diff.

the reason why i would do this is because if i go and buy a set of teins/cusco/whatever coilovers new, i can't see myself throwing away the rears, or anyone wanting to buy them.

most of these coilovers have 8/6 rates in them, and the dampening is adjustable-so i can;t see them being bad on an ae86. and i have other cars for daily drivers anyways. i dont want rear coilovers for the height adjustment, i want them because you can get a high quality shock, which is adjustable and if i go and spend 2k on some tein's, im not going to buy some blistens when i have a perfectly good set of shocks sitting there.

i just wouldn't mind some measurements--you can make anything fit with a big hammer, an angle grinder and a welder.
    WRX - currently epa'd...

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

I'll see if i can did something up for you.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic gixer's Avatar

I have had rear coilovers in the rear of my ae86 for a number of years now, lots of circuit racing and nothing has bent/distorted/torn,broken in that time, photos of this conversion are on the old forums in members posting. the main reason I did it was not 'too have coilovers on the rear' but so I could put the car on a set of scales and balance it up properly, something just having front coilover doesn't allow.

try it? see if they bottom out or not? i have them in my celica set at max height on the spring seat, if you need longer then get of s14 ones.
    mine are kei office and have a 230mm spring with around 50mm of travel and a 420mm overall length, and i use a 30mm top adapter, hope this helps your choices somewhat