Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown tank to EFI

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

Default Crown tank to EFI

im trying to set up a nice neat fuel system for the crown, something to get it through engineering easily.
    i've taken the fuel tank out and decided to go for a internal pump just to make it look a litle more standard and neater

so i've got a MS57 carbi tank
    a VL swirl pot
    and a MX83 internal pump and want to somehow make the 3 work together.

1st problem is the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump is too big to fit inside my swirl pot, so im going to need to get a smaller filter off another pump.

2nd issue is i dont think there is room on the top of the tank for pickup, and its not a flat surface either its grooved so probably couldnt mount the pickup there anyway.

im going to need the screw on plate that goes on the tank to mount the fuel pump, hopefully i can mount this on the front of the tank and still have a vertically running pump inside the swirl pot.

has anyone got a decent idea on hos i can make all this work?
    i really wanna get the crown back on the road soon.

thanks jesse.

drunken escapades Conversion King fatboy13's Avatar

Default Re: Crown tank to EFI

i found that an external system was way easier to do than having it all in the tank etc... i have the system mounted in my boot... and its still neat etc. a little off topic but what engineer are you using?? and do you need to have an unleaded fuel restrictor in your fuel filler??? ive done the same conversion thats all and im just finishing off little bits before engineering...
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    watching a bunch of supraforums members try to debate something technical is like watching a bunch of retards try to fuck a doorknob...

to be honest i havent looked into engineers yet, ive just been focusing on getting the car on the road again first, and thought ide set up the fuel system the best i can so engineer has nothing to complain about.
    also thers a dodgy return line hole drilled through my fuel level sender plate and the pickup is a weird arse tiny fitting, i was hopeing to get them changed to standard lines too.
    and im not sure about mounting stuff in the back, my crown is a wagon, but i know stitt is manageing to squeeze some fuel stuff in his side panels

pics always help

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Is that how the tank sits in the car?
    And is the hole in the front where the fuel pump assembly goes.
    VS commodore runs almost an identical type setup. with the fuel pump being mounted to a shaft which slides into the tank and then you rotate it to get the pump sitting at the bottom of the tank. the strainer is also quite small, so you shouldnt have any dramas there.

Is this the type of setup you are after? although the pump is mounted horizontal in the tank, it does have the sender all attatched in one unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

those pics are taken from the front to the back of the tank.
    the big hole is for the fuel level sender, which is where the dodgy return hose goes through, and the little threaded section is the pickup

and i was thinking the most promising place to mount the fuel pump plate that screws to the tank would be on the front where the current pick up is. so i would need a fuel pump plate and bracket i could make fit and also a pump which can work horizontally, if the cressida one cant that is

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

I think you might be better off having the hole on the side welded up, a new hole drilled in the top, and given that its not a deep tank, look at a Camry in-tank fuel pump and drop that in.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

not sure how much, if any clearance there is from the top to the floorpan, and i imagine it would be quite hard to mount anything on the top as its not flat its got grooves.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

i reakin you should use a VS type pump setup in the place where that big hole is. its almost perfect and the pump is designed to run horizontal.

The mounting plate also has a pipe for the return as well. Its solves all your problems. the only thing you may need to do is get the hole made a little bigger, if its not already big enough. ill try to take a photo of one tomorrow when im at work, should be a few around
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Stitt's setup looks the shitznitz and it all cost sub $400 I'm pretty sure, why not go have a look at that and see if it's something you might like to replicate? Then if you decide to add a T to your 7MGE in the future it'll be all good to go
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

the big hole in the tank if for fuel level sender, so that is staying, i could cut out the old pickup and put the hole there for the pump, VS setup sounds good, pics would be great.

i should look at lukes setup, i dont want anything crazy with bits a pieces everywhere though, i just want a reliable factory looking setup

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

but chromed surge tanks and braided lines just look so much cooler

not that you can see anyhting til you stick your head under the car anyway
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Recommend late model commode style setup, however I am led to believe the pumps fail. You may need to do some funny biz with the sender to make it work with your gauge.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-COMMOD...ayphotohosting
    so is this what i want, thats quite a large looking strainer and i cant see how tha pump runs horizontally...
    my fuel level sender is its own unit on the hole currently in the tank ill continue using this sender and just put the new pump in its own hole.