Thread: JZZ30 Help required - Error codes 12 &14

Seen, but not heard Grease Monkey fingers's Avatar

Default JZZ30 Help required - Error codes 12 &14

The story goes a bit like this:

My Soarer had developed a little bit of a miss above 5000rpm. When under full throttle it'd give a bit of a splutter and continue on. I thought I'd throw in a fresh set of plugs seeing as it hadn't ben done since I've owned the car and I'd done about 36000km on them. Recommended seems to be NGK BKR6E for standard 1JZs. The closest I could find in the lame range up here is BKR6E-11. I pondered whether there'd be a difference but decided I'd whack 'em in anyway and see if they made a difference.

Tried to fire the car up after fitting them and no go. Engine wouldn't start turned over fine but would start. I came to the conclusion there must be a difference in the plugs I got and put the old ones in there. At least they worked. Or so I thought. I got the car running but it sounded it was running on 4 cylinders and stalled shortly thereafter. Double-checked everything was on properly and everything was done up nice a tight. Still nothing. At this point I'm thinking "How could I fuck up changing spark plugs so badly???"

Decided I needed more help at this point and called in the experts. The mechanic reckoned he extracted ECU error Codes 12 - No RPM Signal to ECU while Cranking and 14 - No Ignition Reference Signal. They thought this may have something to do with the Crank Angle Sensor, but decided they were not Soarer (or 1JZ) literate enough to do the job. Translated: They didn't know what they were doing and couldn't be fucked finding out. At least they were honest about it.

Being in Darwin there's not really a lot of knowledgable people on Imported cars and they could only give me one name as a referal. I figured that I may as well have a crack at trying to get this thing going as by having a crack, I'm already one step closer than my mechanic to solving the problem.

Sorry about the essay, but what I'd like to know is:
    Is there something I may have knocked whilst doing the job that would cause these problems?
    Are the spark plugs I've chosen the right ones for the job?
    Where should I be looking first? Give me ideas, I'm willing to learn.

Much appreciated.
    Fingers

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

Default Re: JZZ30 Help required - Error codes 12 &14

If you cant get any help on this forum, check out the following two links to dedicated soarer forums.

http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/discus.cgi

http://www.planetsoarer.com/indexfull.html

Good Luck

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Code 14 would indicate some issue with the IGF wire on your ignitor. I'd be checking the ignitor plug for this one.

Code 12 could be a problem with the STA signal, crank angle sensor or the ignitor.

The commonality is the ignitor. Check that the plug is on properly.

Also check that the plugs to the coils are on nice and snugly.

Big Rob: I've posted up on Soarer Central. Will check there next. I'd forgotten about about Planet Soarer. I'll check there too.

GT: Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot tomorrow arvo in the light.

I've checked all plugs on the coils and they seem to be on nice and tight.
    Where does the ignitor live and what does it look like?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

did u break any of the 2 pin plugs on the coils

maybe the coils are stuffed

its comomn for a 1j to had dud coils
    doesnt make sense thou since they were just working

maybe remove the coils and check to see Mr springy is inside the blue rubbers
    hehe

but u did disturb the coils to change plugs so i imagine the prob is there

if u did break some of the 2 pin plugs on the coils then this could be yr prob

order new ones from toyota