Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2T-G Twin Solex TUNING help

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default 2T-G Twin Solex TUNING help

Setting up my solex carbies on my 3T/2T-G hybrid at the moment, just wondering if anyone can share some photos of the linkage setup when installed in a TA22? I am sure I am missing one small piece, but its hard to explain. So if anyone could help with some photos would be great!
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Default Re: 2T-G Twin Solex help

Sillycar chick,

Can you provide a photo of what it looks like now? I may have the parts.

I have all that is needed to do a cable set-up though. It gets rid of all the firewall linkage stuff, all you will need to do then is exchange the front carby accelerator linkage with the one I modify.

$150 for brackets, throttle cable and parts. I can make the kit up over the next couple of nights. I'll even throw in a photo of what needs to be done. I'll post a photo up tonight of a similar 18R-G set up.

PM me if interested either way and I'll give you payment details.

Regards

Rodger
    Last edited by Rodger; 07-03-2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: read the question again.

Hmmm thanks for your help Rodger, but $150 would be really out of my price range right now unfortunately. I will take a pic and post it. Aparrantly there is one small linkage missing according to my dad, but I dont know what it looks like. He cant expalin it too well as he hasnt had mums celica going with these carbies since I was born! He was going to modify my old linkage from the 3T, but I was just after photos to help us out in anyway.
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

No problems, something to keep in mind for the future.

I await the photo of the place for the missing part. If it is some of the things that I would normally replace with a cable set-up it would cost you nothing.

If you and your dad, do end up needing any help please ask. I have also done the 2T to 2T-G linkage conversion several times before and a photo of where you are upto would jog my memory.

Regards

Rodger

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

I've only got pics of Webber an Dellorto setups on hybrid motors, would they be similar as both look to be custom.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Hope these photos can show enough detail for yas...

[img=http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3139/solex00119lx.th.jpg]

[img=http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/367/solex00214us.th.jpg] (the hose on this one will be moved shortly, got the bracket for it)
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by Rinmax
    I've only got pics of Webber an Dellorto setups on hybrid motors, would they be similar as both look to be custom.
    Not sure, I havent seen the webber and dellorto on 2T-Gs before. Hope the photos I just posted up help you visualise what Im talking about. Thanks.
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

I assume you have the main linkage that fits across the top wall of the fire wall?

There isn;t anything missing on your engine. The end ball joint connects to the link in between the 2 carbies and the other end connects to the main linkage from your pedal.

One trick, the stabiliser that fits against the fire wall has 2 bolts holding it, 10mm bolts from memory. If you had a 2T in it before this bracket will need to be rotated by 180 degrees. Do this and its what you need to line things up for the 2TG set up.

Saves bending things etc that people seem to do without thinking about just turning it over which is all thats needed, no mods or bending required.

Hope this helps,
    Simon
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/celica.htm

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Yeah, I know the part you're thinking of for the linkages. As my car is back in Sydney, and I won't be back there until about 18th March, the best I can do is the following pictures. This is on an 18RG with twin solex, but it looks like the linkages are very similar, so maybe this can be of some help until I get more detailed pics - or better still if a 2TG owner on the forums (who has twin solex) can provide detailed pics.

Hope they help.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

I highly recommend Rodger's linkages.

Sillycar Chick,

Yep!

Just as Simon says. I figured a photo would be worth a thousand words.

Regards

Rodger

Simon - I looked at your way of setting it up and it should work well, thanks for your help.

Also thanks for the photos River, the setup is almost identical to the '22 except the intermediate piece I thought I was missing.

And Rodger I will keep in mind your cable setup for the future if I get some spare money and want to change the setup. When you get a photo of it, if you could just post it up so I can have a look for future reference.

Ill let you all know how it all turns out. Thanks!
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Okay, now that I have the linkages working and the engine running, tuning is proving to be a right pain in the ass! We have a toyota workshop manual which has some stuff on the solexs, but doesnt have much detail on them.

Can anyone scan in and post up tuning manuals, procedures etc so we can get the best out of them? I know solexs require someone with real expertise on that type of carb, but if we can get them good enough to drive around on until I find someone in Brisbane who know what they are doing would be good.

By the way, does anyone know of anyone in Brisbane who can get them perfect?

Thanks
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Default Re: 2T-G Twin Solex TUNING help

I don't claim to know much about setting these up, but do the carbs still have the same jets as when they were bolted up to a 1600? Now that yours is a 1800 you may find that it will run but will be quite lean on fuel as you have 200cc more capacity to feed. I remember putting a webber from a 2ltr ford onto a 1600 gemini and that was WAY too much fuel. It would run but only barely and that was with the mixtures screwed right in.

With my hybrid motor I know that it has been rejeted but mine has dellortto's and it was the previous owner who set them up, so I afraid I'm a little useless at the moment.

I wish you all the best with them.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Default Re: 2T-G Twin Solex TUNING help

They are going on my 3t/2t-g hybrid yes, but the last time they were used they were set-up and adjusted to suit my dad's 3t/2t-g hybrid many years ago, but this engine was running higher compression ratio, and I know the jets were set to run slightly lean on that engine. Something about using higer octane fuels than your everyday petrol...?? The big jets up top (air jets I think) are 130, the little ones up top are 57.5 and I have no idea what the main jets on the underside are. The carbs are on the car and I asumed it would be a bit difficult to check these whilst the carbs are fitted.
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)