Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Cleaner?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Engine Cleaner?

Hey dudes, i recently purchased a can of genuine subaru care upper engine cleaner, i was hoping to run it through my car (91 MR2 SW20 3SGE) but i want to make sure i am doing the right thing. Firstly, I am finding it very difficult to unbolt the stock air box, there are 4 snap-clips i am aware of, and even when i undo these, there seems to be very little play with the entire unit. I removed the rear cross strut members etc (aswell as the little metal trim plate/engine cover), but still no give, can anybody offer me some assistance. How do i remove the friggin air box??? pics attatched. Oh yeah, and is it safe to run engine cleaner through the induction piping without the filters present. Oh and also (this is just a wildcard), if for some reason i cant get it (the air box assembly) off could i simply unsdo the soft hosing at the point where it connects to the throttle body and spray engine cleaner in there (i ask this because i am worried about bypassing the afm, o2 sensors etc...) Apologies for this long post but i thank you in advance.

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Default Re: Engine Cleaner?

Pretty sure there are instructions on the can. No idea why you want to remove the airbox.

Operating temp
    Half can into vacuum line from inlet manifold. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so.
    Start motor and keep enough revs to keep it running.
    Spray rest of can in through vacuum hose while running motor.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

Yeah dude i know how to apply the spray, just where, on this particular can it says "spray into convenient vacuum inlet" or something ( some well placed hose on subarus), im a nub see, so unplugging such things makes me nervous. Bugger it, im sure i can do it. Ps did you have a geeze at the pic?, im assuming the vacuum inlet your refering to is between the airbox and the throttle body? Thanks gavatron, much appreciated dude. Its just that ive never used the stuff before.

Nope, that's the air intake. Just use any vacuum hose that comes out of the inlet manifold. Except the map sensor one. Use one going to a random VSV or idle up.

If you spray it in the air intake hose it most likely won't even make it to the cylinders. Will just fill up the intake tract.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron
    Nope, that's the air intake. Just use any vacuum hose that comes out of the inlet manifold. Except the map sensor one. Use one going to a random VSV or idle up.

If you spray it in the air intake hose it most likely won't even make it to the cylinders. Will just fill up the intake tract.
    So a "vacuum switching valve" is that what you mean?, im going to have a good gander at all the plumbing attacthed to this mofo tonight, im pretty sure there will be enough suction under engine load to allow the cleaner to reach the combustion chamberzzz. Ps whats an 'idle up'. Will update my situation once i have had a good look. And dont you mean maf (mass airflow meter) rather than 'map'

From your pic it doesn't look like you have a MAF sensor or an AFM. So I guess it is a MAP sensed engine (Manifold Absolute Pressure).

Just unplug any vacuum line off of the intake manifold. If the car keeps running the same then use that one. If it runs like arse, then that is the MAP sensor line. Just make sure you plug the line back in after.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

It will probably idle a little higher when you remove a vac line, as it is able to draw more air in to the engine by bypassing the regular idle circut. This is normal.

If you can be arsed, it may be worth pulling most of the inlet tract out and washing it with degreaser, followed by soapy water (make sure it's pretty dry before putting it back on). You'd be suprised by the amount of oil crap that builds up in there.

Cheers,
    Terry
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Been there.. Done That Backyard Mechanic Cob604's Avatar

hey guys

the way i do it at toyota is remove th complete air box & ducting pipes, so that you can see the throtle body butterfly, then spray it over the butterfly & wipe if off

then start i up, put some revs into it & spray short bursts into the thottle body

to much in one go, or not enough revs & it wil stall

this way even works on the new toyotas with all the sensors etc.

thx
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    When you get reaction like that it makes it all worthwhile.
    Bat mobil + 4age.. Engine painted, Fitting up now. Not long...
    Live life on the edge.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

well i do this many times a day at subaru,
    when you place the spray in it to let it sit for 5 minutes,
    crank the engine over afew times quickly to let the cleaner sit on the valves,
    i used it on my car, i think it made it idle better and just run smoother.

Thanks dudes, this is good stuff. im off to run cleaner throught the engine right now.

Oh my the plumes of smoke that erupted from my exhaust pipes were phenomenal, my neighbours now officially hate me (thanks downpipe back zaust >_<) Julzy quads, ive seen the folks at MRT produce the same results when they service my dads b4 and foz xt. Which subaru service centre in victoria do you work at? Thanks alot guys for the advice, +1 for not flaming a nub.

Whoops double post, just wrote the same thing twice ;(

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Im at glen waveley at the moment,
    yeh its normal for them to keep smoking for upto 10 minutes,
    and yes your neighbours will definetly hate you for using it lol,

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

a lifetime of hate for 10 minutes of smoke?
    aww maaan whats a little bit of smoke to come between friends

Yeah she smoked real good for at least a k (said bubba the yokel). Oh yeah and my neighbours are getting very annoyed with my early moring coldstart warmup routine Glen Waverly..., im from NSW so i cant really comment, all i can say is that subaru's have been in my fam for at least 10 years, and my parents have had some good (and bad) experiences with the service centres (ie Tom Kerr). Hope the job is treating you well matey and thanks once again everybody for all your helpful advice. Cheers, Cal.