Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5k to Spend

Junior Member Carport Converter GT4Junkie's Avatar

Default Re: 5k to Spend

The exhaust included dump,midpipe,high flow cat, and catback exhaust, so its the lot.
    As for the suspension i think its all sorted, i dont know exactly whats been done to it, its got tien suspension with adjustable camber, but i know his done more to it. Punt it around corners all the time and ive never had a problem.Definately going with a new cooler.
    Just dont know what i should do with the turbo, seriously thinking if gettin a T28, but if i do i need to get new manifold, and ill also probably need to get new injectors, and fuel pump. if thats the case dunno if ill be able to afford a ECU aswell.
    Was considering just a highflow CT26, but dont know it it will give me enough power to be happy with atm.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

depending on how far u want to push it will depend on whether u need a new ECU.

My car has a GT2871RS on it, good for ~400hp, it doesn't have the awesome torque of the CT26, but from 3.5k> it hauls! (tho i have got the 0.86 housing, not the 0.64 which i will be getting ASAP) and i made 142awkw with it on the std ECU at 10.5psi boost, AFRs were 10.3:1...so safe, for the engine, kills the Cat tho.

I wouldn't get a body kit for it, i would save and try to get holds of the Grp A parts .

Sounds like the suspension is sorted.

As stated before, it depends on how far u want to go with it, if u want a lil more, exhaust, FMIC, and some turbo work ($1450 for upgraded CT26, or 1450 + manifold and downpipe for GT turbo)

If however u would eventually like to buil a 300+ awhp car, a GOOD ecu would be better choice, SAS quoted me 4.5k for drive in drive out for the top of the line Autronic, that was with the Toymods discount tho.
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

yea ive decided no body kit,as much as i want the car to look alil more aggresive.It will have to wait.just contacted exhaust company and they said they can change the downpipe at lil extra charge.So thats cool. Does anyone know a good place to pick up a 28 in melb for a decent price?also where would i go to get a new manifold?
    Once i have those prices then i know if i can get an ECU or not.
    Also if i get the T28 recon i would need to upgrade injector, fuel pump etc.
    Some friends are saying i do, some say i dont.

Does anyone know if the t25 turbos that came off the 1997 blacktop 180's are anygood??
    Got a mate thats selling one for dirt cheap, with no shaft play, nothing wrong with it at all.
    Wanna know if it would be a good upgrade from the CT26 on my GT4 at the moment.
    Know absolutely nothing about this turbo, so help would be appreciated.
    Thanx pplz

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

There were some BB T28s one 180s, not sure if they came on the blacktops (I think they did), but I know the jap spec S15s had them.

RM

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

I think the standard injectors are fine until about 300hp. roughly 80hp per injector.
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

My mate had a blacktop 180sx 1997 model,it definately came with a t25 cause he pulled that off to put a t28 on.
    Just wondering if anyone knows what hp they are rated at, n if there any good? Pretty much wanna know, if i should ditch the t28 idea and get a t25n for dirt cheap.

has no Toyota anymore :( Conversion King tooch's Avatar

Honestly I dont think its worth the effort to fit the t25 up to the celica man, IIRC, its actually smaller (or the same) as the CT26. By the time you get a manifold adapter, custom dump and water/oil lines, its not worth it really.

Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    Honestly I dont think its worth the effort to fit the t25 up to the celica man, IIRC, its actually smaller (or the same) as the CT26. By the time you get a manifold adapter, custom dump and water/oil lines, its not worth it really.
    He told me it was a t25, now his just called and said its a AR80,cant seem to find out what turbo that is so in nissan silvia now trying to find out.

What turbo would you recommend tooch?
    im stuck for ideas here

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

If you really want to change the turbo, and it is going to cost a hell of a lot more than you think unless you can do everything yourself, then get a GT28RS. It is a really good match for the stock 3S. If you are planning on getting big cams head work and a tough bottom end then get a GT35R. Just remember for either of these you are going to need a manifold or an adaptor, a different dump pipe, braided oil feed line, and oil drain line, and water lines, if you go the 35 you'll also require an external wastegate.

The standard injectors will run out of flow before the GT28RS does. If you want a small upgrade you can get 550cc injectors from Gen3's. The Walbro is a good cost effective pump upgrade.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i think on a 5k budget, i would be looking at other things before changing turbo's. There is definate gains ot be had in changing turbo's. But for the money id rather a more balanced car rather than spending it all on the engine.
    Why not do some basic 'bolt on' engine upgrades like you've mentioned and then get some wheels and look at your suspension?
    The bodykit idea is out the window, but it seems your after a nice looking car so spending some money on nice wheels and lowering your car with stiffer springs might suit you?
    Anyway goodluck, and from experience id warn you to watch out for the extra costs you never budget for. There always there, in just about every project!
    - JD -
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - 4AGZE
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - Stock!!!

Its been lowered already and got 17" white enkei racing rims on a white GT4, jst gotta paint that dam black strip. Got system n all.bride racing seats,leather interior. so for looks its nice.
    suspension seems fine for now, we will see how it holds up once i got abit more power. Im happy with the looks of the car, as long as i can make it more aggersive, i recon a group a front bar will do the trick. but that will come later on.
    For now it needs more power
    I think ill go with a t28 then,seems like the best idea
    jst hope i can get exhaust,cooler, turbo (either GT28RS/GT2871R? whats the difference? jst dont want laggy boost!!)
    then obviously im gonna need injecters and fuel pump, all for 5k,might go up to 7k if its not enough.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

well all up my turbo conversion cost me around $2600, sorta mates rates on the manifold, and i pulled it all apart and sourced the water and oil lines and what not.

GT2871RS is slighty bigger, 400hp compared to 350, mine starts to come on boost at 2k but really kicks at 3.5, however i have the larger turbine housing, with the smaller (0.64) it should spool up somewhat quicker and probably almost rival the CT26
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Its been lowered already and got 17" white enkei racing rims on a white GT4, jst gotta paint that dam black strip. Got system n all.bride racing seats,leather interior. so for looks its nice.
    suspension seems fine for now, we will see how it holds up once i got abit more power. Im happy with the looks of the car, as long as i can make it more aggersive, i recon a group a front bar will do the trick. but that will come later on.
    didnt realise what else you had! seems like people have the right first hand advice for u then. be careful of what is second hand recycled knowledge. Goodluck sounds like an awesome car
    - JD -
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - 4AGZE
    AE86 - Toyota Sprinter - Stock!!!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

One other thing that would be worth looking at is getting a ST205 gearbox swapped in. It has a lower diff ratio giving much better accelleration and it also has the better synchro's etc. It would also be a good time to get a better clutch into the thing since more power is going to stress the clutch quickly.