Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 3tc wont start please help

Been there.. Done That Backyard Mechanic Cob604's Avatar

Default Re: 3tc wont start please help

i just need it to last long enough for the conversion, as od toyotas are hard to kill, im pretty sure it will be fine

ive just replaced all the consumables, so eveything except the engine itself is new

hey i get bored easily & being young has its weird ideas pop up

i thought we got over this wheelie shite

thx
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    When you get reaction like that it makes it all worthwhile.
    Bat mobil + 4age.. Engine painted, Fitting up now. Not long...
    Live life on the edge.

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

cob, very simple trick is to dribbled water over exhaust primary pipes to find out what cylinders are missing, or not firing due to lack of compression etc.

Or a can of crc or watever you can drip on exhaust to see what is not hot! or just use your hand of your game enough.

P.S. I take no responsibility if your burn or blow urself up because you poured fuel on exhaust or burnt your hand from touching it

when it started the exhaust smoked for about 3 mins then changed colour, i expect as it hasnt been used in a few years.

ill try with water just to be safe

what about pulling of the spark plug wire while its running & listening to the change of he engine sound (trick at work)

thx
    Live life on the edge.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

If your prone to retardedness like attempting burnouts,drifting or stupid shit in a car that is meant to be tip top I feel you are a bit of an idiot mate. you just said your only got it till your 1GG goes in right so suck it up and drive like a girl for 6 months or you're likely to crash or blow a part your going to need later I don't know like maybe your diff or gearbox or engine you just spent a month or two trying to get to work cause you so desperately needed a car. fix the cylinder problem and drive it on the side of caution. If you simply can't resist doing a fully sick skid bro, ask a mate to borrow his beat up shitbox I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Hi,

OR you could just buy a cheap runabout like a ke70 and just do the celica 1g now!!

My hilux when i got it ran rough as guts at idle but would do ok once the throttle opened up, so it was all good. Well, that was for the first 250k's then it blew the head gasket because of uneven pressures between the two cylinders!!!!

Seriously man, if the compression is that different and you need to use it for 6 months, either just get another car, or fix the engine you've got. Wouldn't wanna pop that headgasket and then be ignorant and end up with a cracked crank, bent rods and fucked pistons!!!

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Cob604

what about pulling of the spark plug wire while its running & listening to the change of he engine sound (trick at work)

Yeah you could do that, i have zapped myself a few times doing that tho. If it had injectors thats what could unplug tho to check difference.

I second buy a shitter $500 ke30/70 with rego and 1ggze the bat mobil.
    Have you got new gaurds, bonnet and front end on bat mobil yet?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

aren't you on your P's anyway.. in NSW.. = no modifications or engine swaps?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

yeah the only thing is this is supose to be my run around, but i ended up a car thats too good for it.& ive already got 3 cars so space is getting a bit limited & the land lord is getting a bit unhappier . but hey ive told him when i get the bat mobil regod & the 1ggze goes in the parts car will go. the rebel is under a guys carport (wouldnt fit in garage )

& as im starting part time at a panel beaters next tuesday + everything else, time is getting a bit limited as well

im planing to have the car for 5yrs or so until i finish the rebel, it should last with the 1ggze in it easly

yeah i got top shape guards & bonnet etc. ive also got everything else, just got to put it back together.

how could i fix this engine for the time being or find out what is the problem, ive got to check the valve height tomorrow & adjust valve clearances & tune everything, so any thing else i can do

thx
    Live life on the edge.

not yet mate, im going for them in a few weeks, but i want to wait until i can work the clutch subconscionesly as then ive got more control over the car etc

& since i work for toyota the boss has agreeded to sign all the forms so i can drive turbo etc & right now the rebel is in my name, so im limited to a v8 & therefore i can get it as well (read rules last night)

thx
    Live life on the edge.

you might wanna check up on that with the RTA.
    especially the whole "only drive to work and back" part..

i really think you should stop trying to implement these fantasies, and just make car standard adn learn how to drive.

if you don7t have your licence yet, what the fuck were you doing driving the rebel, at 120mph in second gear, on a public road? ffs are you an idiot?

heck, you can7t even get a basic stock motor working.....
    just check everything step by step and don7t completely rule things out.
    check it is mechanically ok..
    well, your compression test says that the motor is fucked anyway. but you should try to work out why.
    you need to be methodical.
    less long posts, more time thikning abotu engine and checking it step by step.
    air
    fuel
    spark
    mechanical bits in right place.

i know you're keen, and that is a good thing, but just stop and think for a second, abotu what you are trying to achieve.
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

The exemption rules are strict as dude. A few of my mates have tried with much more legitimate reasons then yours and failed.

They are going to ask you WHYand WHEN you will need to drive a turbo or v8 vehicle. The they will ask you for the details of the vehicle you wish to get the exemption on and if you get this exemption you are NOT allowed to drive any other vehicle other then that specified (it will specify this on your exemption form).
    Getting to and from work is NOT one of the reasons unless you dont own a car and your parents car is the only option (you live away from parents) and you most definantly have NO OTHER WAY of getting to work.

A good reason would be that you dont have a car but you will need to drive your parents car and your residence is a considerable distance from work. e.g. 1 hours drive. In a different town etc.

Your boss at toyota can only exempt you from driving turbo and V8 vehicles in working hours when you are doing a vehicle check, blueslip or brake test or whatever. This is part of your job. This means you will not be able to drive YOUR own turbo or V8 vehicle unless you are doing a brake test on it for a blueslip. Which is once a year. LOL

Although SOME of the RTA's emlpoyee's intelligence may be questionable. They are certainly not dumb, your reasons are shit house and i dare say you have a 1% chance of getting the exemption. FFS you havent even got your red P's!

Honestly dude you are dreaming. I had the same dreams once, but after doing all the research i found out i had no fucking chance at all. I actually worked at a performance engine shop were we would have to test drive the vehicles we worked on etc. Also needing a poweful vehicle to transport cars on trailers and engines and shit. Actually working at an engine shop would have made my exemption look even worse ......

Your attitude towards cars is extremely obvious to anyone man. 120mph in second gear down a main road at 3am without a licence, wheelies, whats the redline on a stock 3tc? Can i drift a AMC rebel?
    With that attitude there is no way the RTA is going to grant you any sort of exemption, they are more likely to record your details and keep an eye on you.

Yes, my attitude towards cars was questionable in the early stages of my P's. But we all learn some way or another.

As OC said, just stop and think for a second.
    hehe that reminds me of year 2 when they taught us "STOP>THINK>DO". I still use that sometimes

Points taken

thx heaps
    Live life on the edge.

hey guys, tuned it today & repleaced heaps of stuff on it

anyway, i noticed this before i pulled the carby off & rebuilt it. the throttle doesnt spring back (e.g rev it to 1500rpm take your foot off throttle & it stays at 1500rpm. i know therei something wrong. so i pulled the top cover off & played around with the throttle linkages etc but still the same. the manual doesnt show a good diagram & the rebuild kit ones has linkages.

& i posted my spare twin solex away yesterday so i cant get any idea of them either
    \ive searched the net for pics on 2t or 3t carby & i got 1, but it doesnt sho what im after.
    ive searched toymods for "2t", "3t", "Carby" & havnt found one.
    when i was putting the carby togther i put the spring in where the throttle cable goes & it worked fine,then i realised that it goes on to the hook thing (secondary butterfly release)

also does any one have a pic of the throttle linkage setup & where the auto choke vacum hose goes to & the pipe on the secondary side of the carby

thx heaps
    Live life on the edge.

you say "rev it and it stays at 1500"
    did you actually look at the spring and see that it doesn7t pull the throttle closed?

or are you just assuming that is why the revs don7t drop?

it sould slike abig vacuum leak.

i havnt got the thottle cable attached,

yeah the spring only pulls the primary throttle closed when the secondary butterfly is closing.

bsically the spring holds the secondary throttle butterfly closed on mine & when the secondary side is open it applys pressure to the throttle linkages on the primary side

asically with the engine off the primary butterfly will stay where ever i move it, until the i open it about 80% then it will spring back to about 50% ( as it moves the hook thing that the spring is holding& therefore pulls it back)

also the secondary butterfly is completely vaccum operated right & it shouldnt open or anything with the throttle linkages moving (description of mine)

thx
    Live life on the edge.