Thread: Unusual cooling system mod for a 20V

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

Default Unusual cooling system mod for a 20V

This would be the third thread on 20v cooling now and I think my latest idea is the most odd yet. I want to run it by people to see what they think.

Bit of an update:

I wrote an article a long while back on converting a 20v to rwd (see link in signiture) which changes the usual cooling path from so:

cold radiator water - intake side of head - block - other side of head and out

to the 16v design which is:

cold water in - block - other side of head - intake side of head and out

now the disadvantage of this is that the large port desidned to cool the intake air with fresh cold water now warms it theoreticly losing power.

Now my usual idea:

instead of running an external thermostat and external water pipes to emulate the stock setup I am thinking of tottaly bypassing the channel above the intakes from the main cooling system. Then having a tottaly independant cooling system that uses heater pipe sized hoes, an electric pump and a small radiator in the front to cool that section down by itself. In terms of packaging this would make things much simpler than external pipes. The intake side of the head would be reduced from having a 90 degree tempreture to around 30 to 40 depending on the day. How much of a difference it makes having air pass over a 200mm section on head that is 50 degrees cooler I dont know and want to know.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Unusual cooling system mod for a 20V

i think heat transfer thru the aluminium will make the water much hotter than just 30-40deg.
    if you can isolate that part of the head to be that temp, any issues with warping?

hmm, how much do vacuum cleaners flow? if you have an old type that can blow as well, and have a 1.5" or 2" U pipe lying around... put the pipe in a pot of near boiling water, blow air thru, and see how much the temp increases?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

Default Re: Unusual cooling system mod for a 20V

I thought about the warpage isues and I came to this conclusion:

in a stock setup the water coming back from the radiator can be pretty cool if its a cold day, and if the engine is being driven hard then it will be putting a decent amount of hot water flow into the radiator. Therefore the temp difference stock would be pretty big I think and hence I shoudlnt have any thermal stress beyond what its designed for.

Very interesting idea on the vacuum cleaner, i will think about it