Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rav4 needs a new donk

70s Tragic Grease Monkey RA28tragic's Avatar

Default Re: Rav4 needs a new donk

Thanx guys. So what doner would I be looking for??
    Living in the 70s

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

ST215 Caldina.

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RA28tragic
    just want to consider all options.

well it's an option

on a more realistic note, the 1MZ-FE has been done, bit of work but would be very rewarding. However cost prohibative.

red top beams would be a laugh, but again potentially cost prohibative.

is it worth cutting your losses and buyng another one which you can compression test before you buy. As like the Celica GT4's mechanics know they're a prick to work on and will charge like a wounded bull.

Cheers
    Jordan
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Unfortunately Phil, due to your daughter's P-plater-ness, it is more than likely that even a conversion to a 3S-GE of sorts would attract too much unwarranted attention from our blue uniformed inhabitants, and may void insurances otherwise available.

Realistically, if I were to have one, a Beams or a 3S-GTE would be the go. But I can legally drive it and can also get insurance, so that scenario is not possible in this case.

Find out if it is a 2Ltr or 2.2Ltr (info in this thread suggests 2Ltr), and import a low k replacement donk from jappolia. They will give you warranty and compression test results, and it won't void your daughter's legal ability to drive it, or insure it. Will also be an easy plug and play swap out. Wait till she is off the Prohibitive licence, then go a Beams. Till then, the stock 3S-FE in good condition is still a fairly slick donk. Heck, if you aren't planning the swap out till later in the year, I could probably get a weekend away from the missus and come down to give you a hand (beer and fishing will need to be provided for compensation of course ), but that would have to be after we do Adam's motor.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I believe that early rav motors are quite an expensive proposition.... at least that is what a mate told me.... If it is correct, rebuild what you have.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I believe that early rav motors are quite an expensive proposition.... at least that is what a mate told me.... If it is correct, rebuild what you have.

Also, get a compression and leakdown test done. It may just be a head problem, in which case 3S-FE heads are a dime a dozen and can be found on E-Bay most weeks for cheap.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

70s Tragic Grease Monkey RA28tragic's Avatar

All is not lost. When I was driving it last, it was as gutless all all get out and making a realy bad burning smell and a horrible noise. After much genitalia scratching and trial and error. It seems as though the starter motor was remaining engaged. Not turning over just engaged. Hence the horrible burning smell and why it just wouldn't go.

I had had spares keys cut from a very old original and my daughter liked the shiny one. I think it did something to the ingnition tumbler and did not disconnerct the current to the starter soilinoid and left it engaged.

Onec we finally tracted the problem down to the now cooked and seized starter motor we got the engine running again.

It seems OK'ish although it isn't a long term propiosition.

So all advice on options to give it a rebirth are welcome and being stored away. Thank you all.
    Living in the 70s

Good to hear it's not fatal. Take the original key to a locksmith and have them cut new ones from the numbers. I don't think you have damaged the barrel, but it is common for keys when poorly cut to make the barrel hard to turn and get stuck (have had this happen to more than one Celica, won't get keys cut cheaply off worn originals anymore)
    Cheers, Owen