Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Celica Brake Upgrade

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

Default Celica Brake Upgrade

I have a problem.. the Celica brake upgrade as discussed here specifies DBA 272 as the brake rotor. I contacted DBA about this and they say that part is no longer available.

I have already bought the calipers, rebuild kit and struts so I need something to work with that setup.

Does anybody know of an alternate rotor I can use for the upgrade? (I have already asked DBA but am waiting for a response)

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: Celica Brake Upgrade

Try another brand, such as RDA... they arent too bad an item, i believe Brett_celicacoupe (who did this very conversion not long ago) used the RDA items, so maybe pm him.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Hi.

I have not long bought rotors for the same conversion.
    I have a friend that is a manager at ABS in Moorabbin.

He recommended RDA slotted rotors for the conversion.

The part number on the invoice i have dug out is ( RDA272SL ), the description on the invoice is Peugot 504/505/604 FRT.

The retail price listed on the invoice is $179 ea but he did them for $115.

Had them in stock as a normal unit but had to wait an afternoon for them to be slotted.

If you want any info on the conversion just let me know, its straight forward but its fresh in my mind and i took photos along the way.

hope this helps.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbl
    If you want any info on the conversion just let me know, its straight forward but its fresh in my mind and i took photos along the way.
    woot! photos much be much appreciated.

i'd be keen to find out if they can supply the rotor with the correct stud pattern so it doesn't have to be drilled out. (that kinda worries me a bit) i will get in touch with them.

do the calipers still need to be filled down with this RDA rotor? i guess so if it's meant to be the same part.

thanks heaps for the info guys, tried to rep you both but i'm not sure what's going on with the rep system. said i already repped o_man_ra23 for the same post before (this is the first time i've read your responses) and that i have to 'spread it around' before giving it to thomasbl again.

Its not that you repped me for the same post, its that you need to rep 15 different people in a row each time... gotta spread the love bro

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Its not that you repped me for the same post, its that you need to rep 15 different people in a row each time... gotta spread the love bro
    oh man that sucks

twas definately the rep-worthy piece(s) of info.

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Here is another rep worthy post I reckon! Source your Pug 604 rotor's from Brembo. I bought mine through Eurospares and paid $95 each for them. DBA don't make these rotor's and no one I know has ever bought these through them.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

thanks man, i'll contact them as well.

btw o_man_ra23..

"The most important things in life come in 2 litres, milk, juice, 18RGs and 3SGTEs, everything you need to start your day
    Only cheap wine comes in 5 litres"

you comparing the 1GZ to cheap wine?

Hmm... Mr Fuzz, you are the first to pick up on that... and as such you will gain the 2 point pos rep i am about to give you. I will admit that the 1GZ is a masterpeice of modern engineering... and will oneday put one (or similar) into a 67 fastback mustang (along with supra suspension). So... Yes there is a fine wine that comes in 5 litres, but most of the 5 litre wines are as shitty as they come

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    I will admit that the 1GZ is a masterpeice of modern engineering... and will oneday put one (or similar) into a 67 fastback mustang (along with supra suspension).
    heheh.. i guess it would be too boring a quote to say that pushrod actuated twin valve, carburetted cast iron engines are like cheap wine

my personal favourite is 4 litres.. just think of it as 2 x 2 litres

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbl
    hey what did you do for dust shields? i'm guessing... you didn't

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

I got the RDA items then had them slotted.
    RDA said they didnt have them in stock and wouldnt do for 6 months. That was over 6 months ago, so i guess they never got them in.

As for fileing down the caliper, its a much better idea to have the rotors machined down instead.

Here are the photos of what i did:
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...Front%20Brakes
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...ont%20Calipers
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...ont%20Calipers
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...0Brake%20Setup
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...0and%20Springs

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

I waited 4 weeks for the Brembo Pug rotors which are the OEM replacement items. I cut the hole in the dust shields for the calipers larger to fit the Hilux units and hammer flat the raised sections of the dust shields as they rubbed on the back of the rotors.
    And yes, I was not keen to file out the calipers to fit the 273mm rotor's - I had the rotors machined down to 268mm diameter which is enough to ensure they clear the inside of the calipers. If you do this don't forget to have the "Min Thickness" re-engraved back onto the rotor edges. And, don't forget to use a steel washer to space the caliper so it sits centrally over the rotor. I had new custom length (longer) brake hoses made up to reach to the bracket on the strut as I found the existing hoses were under a bit of strain with the Hilux 4 pots.
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

User Conversion King

i havent had any problems with driling out the holes. my brakes are still in tact so far

although i do regret not gettiing the slotted items as i can see now that the pads are a little glazed....still work excelent though.

i also machined down my rotors at home on the lathe - so no probs there either
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    i havent had any problems with driling out the holes. my brakes are still in tact so far
    hehe.. i love how you said 'so far'

might have to scratch out a new guide when i'm done.

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

I also have had no issues with the drilled out holes, you only need to slightly open out the holes, from memory it was a 1mm oversize drillbit required to make the holes line up. In my opinion, this is not making alterations which are significat to take away from the structural integrity of the rotor. The $115 price i paid for my rotors was for the standard unit, that were slotted later. From memory, minus slotting they were worth just over $90.

Just take care while you are doing it, it is very difficult to put metal back from where you have taken it. Measure carefully and accurately to avoid doing a shitty job or wasting money.