Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bolt on wheel spacers, gd idea or not?

User Conversion King

Default Re: bolt on wheel spacers, gd idea or not?

wheels are held on axially by the bolts (in tension)

friction prevents the studs shearing (clamp load). the tighter your wheel nuts, the more friction.

id say the clamp load is usually high enough such that the hub spigot doesnt take any load.
    hello

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

hub protrusion = spigot.

The protrusion makes the wheel hub-centric not stud-centric provided it has the same OD as the wheels centre bore ID.

Stud-centric does not comply with the current ADRs or the NCOP. The NCOP states locator rings had to be aluminium/steel/etc and not nylon or plastic even though nylon/plastic are commonly available from wheel suppliers.

From the NCOP

"Replacement aluminium alloy rims must be located on the hub/axle by the same diameter centre spigot as the original wheel, using metal adaptor rings where necessary"

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...g_3Feb2006.pdf

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

stop being so helpful... or i'll have to neg rep you
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    Wow, 300mm! that is some -VE offset!

Pretty sure you must mean 30mm

Cheers
    Wilbo

You never know...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

surely no one here would be stupid enough to actually use those on a road going vehicle. Okay I can just about see where someone might use these on a show car (the old Summernats Pus Art/ Cardboard fantasy springs to mind) .... But a street car?....

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Those spacers are awesome, where do I get some?
    And do they come in chrome???

I've been running 25mm hubcentric spacers for a while now (and fitting in quite nicely in Adelaide too ), but they're neither hubcentric to the hub or my wheels, so telling people that as long as they are hubcentric is kinda misleading.
    Either way I havn't really had any problems with my effectively non-hubcentric spacers, a bit of loctite & tightening them up properly & she's all apples. Mind you that's only with very gentle cressida driving, no skids, burnouts, launches, racing, opposite lock figure eights or other anti-social behaviour that could otherwise be identified as "hooning."

I suspect most cases of "my studz sheared coz of my hektic spacerz yo" is due to knuckleheads over tightening their spacer nuts in an effort to make them extra safe.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    Mind you that's only with very gentle cressida driving, no skids, burnouts, launches, racing, opposite lock figure eights or other anti-social behaviour that could otherwise be identified as "hooning."
    where have you been hiding this other cressida?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Bigworm, what do you mean by misleading?

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative
    Incorrect. the studs used are NOT designed for shear loads (few bolts or studs in your car are).

the studs support against rotational and lateral loading.
    thats a contradiction right there, the rotational force is a sheer load so the studs must be able to handle it somehow.

ill try to find the number of the place that did my spacers, built to my measurements for 150 the pr from memory. they're built well and i havn't had any problems yet.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

sticker makerer Grease Monkey

my drift car has 30mm bolt ons. no hub centric cos I dont hav the nylon rings in my wheels.

2 years now no problems.. and I bash alot of ripple strips, killed wheel bearings and tie rods and stuff, but never damaged a spacer.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    thats a contradiction right there, the rotational force is a sheer load so the studs must be able to handle it somehow.

ill try to find the number of the place that did my spacers, built to my measurements for 150 the pr from memory. they're built well and i havn't had any problems yet.

cheers
    linden
    Yes, but it's no where near the shock loading experienced when you hit a bump or pothole at high speed.

fwiw - all load is taken through the studs, or through the hub face friction surface. hub centricity adds nothing other than an aid to locate the wheel for fitment. no dynamic loading goes through the central hub shoulder
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

If you look closely at your studs, you will notice there is a gap between the insides of the wheel holes and the stud in most cases. The wheel is centred to the studs by the cone shaped mating surfaces on the stud and rim. This means that the nuts would be taking the load, which is passed through to the studs. As the nuts are spaced from the hub face by the rim, the studs would be subjected to leverage by the forces on the nut. (Sort of like using a breaker bar to undo a bolt).

However, when the hole in the centre of the rim is correctly sized to the hub centre, the load is taken through the hub centre rather than the bolts/nuts as it *should* be a flush fit, therefore not allowing movement or force to be transferred through to the studs.

i agree with the first paragraph completely

2nd is entirely wrong

flush fit? whhats that mean in engineering terms? doesnt matter anyway - wont mean squat. no load goes through there. period. unless theres a failure of course.

load is taken through tapered or shouldered lug nuts, taken through friction mating surface, or lugs themselves. its impossible for the hub centre to take load unless there is movement in the wheel on the hub

common misconception, dont feel bad
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

arguably better to have hub to sit on in case there is movement?

if you had to design a similar thing for industrial equipment, would you include include a shoulder, or not? hmmm
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!