Thread: G series rear diff compatibility?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Question G series rear diff compatibility?

Are all G series rear diff brake set-ups compatible? If I used a rear diff from a Hilux to mock-up the MA70 Rear Disc conversion, could I then bolt it straight onto my Hiace diff? Would the different widths and axle lengths make any difference? Are the hubs and bolt spacings all the same?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    -Grotty.

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Default Re: G series rear diff compatibility?

Have a look in the ma70 brake upgrade thread! There is plenty of help...

From what i know though, the ma70 brake bracket and upgrade should be swappable for any Live G Series rear end!
    I had two different length live g series which the brake bracket bolted straigth to...

I'd imagine if the hiace uses a G series, it should be the same...

Cheers<
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Thanks Jase,
    I have been right through MA70 rear brake upgrade thread several times, but the info I need is not there. I think perhaps I haven't been clear enough. What I am doing is fitting the MA70 rear brakes, but with R33 rear calipers, which means I'll have to make a new bracket anyway.
    The problem here is that there are several different width Hilux/Hiace diff housings.
    What I really need to know is:

A) Are all the hubs exactly the same dimensions / thickness / hat height?
    B) Are all the axle tube ends the same dimensions / bolt spacing / thickness?
    C) Do different axle lengths protrude further out of the hubs than others?

Ultimately, If I use a different housing (Hilux etc) to mock-up the MA70 rear brakes, will it bolt straight up to my Hiace diff?
    I hope I have clarified enough.
    Cheers.
    Grotty.
    Last edited by grotty100; 09-06-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Answered your PM.

If there was any diffference, in amongst the 20 + pages in the thread mentioned above, someone would have said, "Hey ****, these caliper brackets blow goats! They don't suit my diff! Get fucked - I want my money back." To my knowledge that hasn't happened so I suspect they are compatible across a great range of G series live diffs. Logic tree then suggests that the tube ends, axle flanges, etc are also the same across a great range of G series live diffs. Of course, if you've managed to get yourself a Century VG40 factory disc braked G series live diff and mocked everything up on a Hilux diff and things don't work out for you when you swap your gear over, then we can't really be held responsible for that - I've only seen one and didn't have my Verniers with me to take any measurements. The point I'm trying to make is measure carefully before you buy the next diff!

What I have seen is that sometimes in narrower applications, the caliper will clash with some component of the suspension, typically the shock absorber, so the mounting point for that needs to be moved a little more inboard to allow some clearance for fitment and movement.

Thanks gianttomato,
    I think my question has been answered through lack of information. I'm sure if anyone had discovered a difference, they would have spoken up by now.
    Cheers.
    Grotty.