Thread: 4A t50 bellhousing onto 2T t50 gearbox.

Apparently I'm a Backyard Mechanic PULSE's Avatar

Default 4A t50 bellhousing onto 2T t50 gearbox.

Hey guys, I'm just starting off my 4AGE conversion into my TA22 and I decided to retain the original gearbox to save me from having to source/buy a proper 4A t50, and it also saves me from having to get a custom tailshaft. Anyway, I've removed the 2T bellhousing off the gearbox, cleaned everything up and now I'm up to the stage of bolting on the 4A bellhousing. Someone mentioned there was some issues with sealing before but I couldn'd find any info on it anywhere. What I've found is that it will all bolt up, but there are two bearings underneath it. One has the shaft sticking out of it that comes through the clutch guide, and then there is another bearing that just has a bolt on top of it. On the 4A bellhousing, the recess for this bearing part isn't as deep as on the 2T bellhousing. Therefore when the 4A bellhousing is on there, there is a 1 - 2 mm gap between the bell and the gearbox.

I was wondering what people have done to overcome this? I guess it could be machined out but that would be a pretty dramatic exercise if there is something easier I could do, like put on a thick gasket or something.

Cheers, Matt

Default Re: 4A t50 bellhousing onto 2T t50 gearbox.

Okay I took some pictures to help explain. Sorry they aren't very good it was hard getting a good shot.

Okay this is the gearbox with the bell removed. You can see what I was talking about with the shaft and the bearing next to it.

This is a close up of this bearing. The disc that I've got leaning on there is meant to be covering the bearing, but I've removed it so you can see properly. I'm starting to think it might be ok to remove this disc, I'll explain in a sec.

This is the old 2T bellhousing, as you can see (just - dodgy pic) the recess is deep enough for the bearing.

This is the 4A bellhousing. The recess isn't as deep around the edge which is why it doesn't fit correctly.

Now I've found that if I remove that disc that sits on top of the bearing, the bellhousing fits almost perfect. Just as good as the 2T one fits anyway. So with a fresh thicker gasket it should be perfect. I'm starting to think that the edge in the 4A bellhousing has basically the same function as the disc that is needed for the 2T one. So basically I don't need to use the disc anymore. If that is the case then that makes my life very easy, the best way to confirm would be if anyone who has removed a 4A bellhousing from a 4A t50 could tell me if they have one of those discs or if they run without one.

Also, can I make myself a new gasket just out of normal gasket paper. I've got some laying around here and its thicker than the standard gasket but I'm not sure if its the correct material to use as the stock gasket seems to be made of a type of thin plastic.

Cheers, Matt

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

look for a post by TOYCRASH who explained all this in detail with pics
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Yay I found it, answered my main question in there and I've asked him a couple more. I tried searching before but most of my key words weren't long enough to use in the search function. Thanks mate!

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

link please???

(edit) found thanks.

btw, best way to search toymods is usign google, with site:toymods type search...
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!