Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F series diff - billet axles

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Default F series diff - billet axles

So.... Seems its not too hard to twist the splines of the F series axles with some shock loads, what options are there without a complete diff conversion to something bigger?

Cryogenic treatment?

or, has anybody heard of a billet set being made, or recommend a workshop to do this?

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: F series diff - billet axles

someone in the states may make them but tracking them down could be hard.

bosenjak's engineering should be able to make them over here but not sure on price.

cryo will make them tougher but how much longer they will last im unsure of.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Damn, F series axles are pretty chunky, how much power are you pushing through them?

Methinks a G series conversion may be cheaper than custom axles.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Yup, G series....some discussion on this at the start i believe
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Norbie, I guess there's a much longer distance to twist the axles over with the live rear end compared to the shorter sections of an IRS diff, perhaps this is a contributor as to why they seem to survive anything in MA61's?

G series has been considered, however there are a number of reasons to retain the F series, including:

-I already have it
    -Its lighter than the G series
    -floor clearance is already tight with the smaller F housing, G will hit more easily on launch

plus most of all, i've just recently spent the $$$ on converting the F series to disc brake, which won't transfer over to the G, which needs MA70 setup.

But maybe I could be convinced otherwise if billet axles are rediculously priced

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

The process of evolution, don't fight it Phil.

Seriously, if the axles have twisted that bad there's nothing that will make a difference except going bigger. I'm dubious that billets will make much difference?

With the dodgy metalurgy used in a 9 inch then sure but jap stuff seems to be a whole different league. Case is point is the modern half shafts....billets for GTRs, Evos appear no stronger than stock and you hear plenty of stories of them going bang earlier than stock shafts.

Could easily be a lot of money wasted?
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

You could go billets but i believe they are just as strong as factory axels. (thats what bosnjak told me when i got my billets done)

Have you got one resplined or both standard factory length?
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Nath #347 Backyard Mechanic PHOBIA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Damn, F series axles are pretty chunky, how much power are you pushing through them?
    That's what I was thinking. You must give it some abuse. I wouldn't have through the axles would have been the weak point in such a set up.
    1986 RT-142 Corona. Taking the phrase “WTF”, to a whole new level......

PHOBIA. Fear of.........investing your soul into customizing a "f@#kin what" a Corona???
    Click to see PHOBIA

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    You could go billets but i believe they are just as strong as factory axels. (thats what bosnjak told me when i got my billets done)

Have you got one resplined or both standard factory length?
    I dont know about his setup but with my f series the axles in standard size and not equal length. I have had the longer one shortened making them closer to equal but theyre still not the same.

If you have had one resplined &/or shortened, was it this one that broke/twisted? It wouldnt be suprising that aftermarket splining doesnt follow the same processes as factory toyota and has maybe contributed to its failure.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Not sure about the pair that are in the car at present, but I have had a set twist slightly previously behind a manual box. I'm anticipating that with big launches on sticky tyres at the drag strip it could be problem.

Stitt has managed to do a good job of the axles out of his crown wagon also, but we know about his mechanical sympathy Just jokes Stitty, we know the babes love your driving style Plus i'm sure the guys that "borrowed" the car in Canberra for a couple of weeks didn't help the situation any.

cuzzo, what's the ballpark figure on a pair of billet axles from Boz's? (PM me if you don't want to post here)

If I have to go G series, i'll be tempted to work out a 4 link conversion at the same time.... CBF converting another diff to suit crappy leaf springs.

Cheers
    Phil

LeeRoy, what is your diff out of with unequal length axles? Mine (MX13 corona) are exactly the same length, and have not been modified

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Tarago i believe.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

^^^^^ MS112, but shortened on 1 side to suit the width of a stock ta22.
    they were equal to start with.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ-Rolla
    Not sure about the pair that are in the car at present, but I have had a set twist slightly previously behind a manual box. I'm anticipating that with big launches on sticky tyres at the drag strip it could be problem.

Stitt has managed to do a good job of the axles out of his crown wagon also, but we know about his mechanical sympathy Just jokes Stitty, we know the babes love your driving style Plus i'm sure the guys that "borrowed" the car in Canberra for a couple of weeks didn't help the situation any.

cuzzo, what's the ballpark figure on a pair of billet axles from Boz's? (PM me if you don't want to post here)

If I have to go G series, i'll be tempted to work out a 4 link conversion at the same time.... CBF converting another diff to suit crappy leaf springs.

Cheers
    Phil
    go a volvo 240 diff, i say this a million times, common conversion for big ol torquey V8's already have disc's and around $100-$200 for a complete diff, disc to disc.
    big range of ratios also,

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

and as heavy or heavier than G series?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!